Mark 5, By Accurascale

Any word on the running numbers of the 2 TPE sets that will be released? Reason for asking is that I saw news today saying that sets TPE02 and 05 are to be put in long term secure storage, don't think that's a good sign at all for new rolling stock but such is life.

9 minutes ago, Fitzer said:

Any word on the running numbers of the 2 TPE sets that will be released? Reason for asking is that I saw news today saying that sets TPE02 and 05 are to be put in long term secure storage, don't think that's a good sign at all for new rolling stock but such is life.

That doesn't mean they are not going to be used just stored away from Crewe until they are ready to commission them.

And does it matter regarding the unit numbers on the models?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Fitzer said:

Hi Graham,

We havent decided on them yet, but they will be two active rakes in squadron service, as all the sets will be! 

Thanks,

Fran

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2019 at 15:32, Fitzer said:

Word of mouth at York is any more sets are for storage and the ones that have been accepted are for training only,  couldn't find out what the issues are but it could be brake related. 68 training isn't that good as I know somebody who has been with TPe from the start and has only just got on one.

1 hour ago, 25901 said:

Word of mouth at York is any more sets are for storage and the ones that have been accepted are for training only,  couldn't find out what the issues are but it could be brake related. 68 training isn't that good as I know somebody who has been with TPe from the start and has only just got on one.

Heard about the sleeper Mk5 having brake issues causing wheel flats but that it's down to software issues between the 68s and mk5s. Would have thought all that would have been picked up and sorted in Spain before delivery.

• RMweb Gold

It Wouldn’t be issues with 68s and sleeper coaches, they don’t use them on the sleeper trains, most likely a 92 on it 

i did hear there were some sort of brakes issues last week though that meant part of a complete rake of sleepers had to go to longsight for wheel turning 

2 hours ago, Pegleg90 said:

...Caledonian sleeper disruption...

Here is a photo (of a series) by a photographer called Tim Moran on Flickr; a font of knowledge on all things Caledonian Sleeper. The description is very detailed:

Caledonian Cripple Siding

And just yesterday morning, an even rarer event of central door locking failing and a de-training at Acton Bridge; a tiny station in Cheshire:

"Now arriving at Acton Bridge, where this service terminates."

Not looking good for the MK5s, but I'm certain these teething troubles will be resolved.

Jack.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sure even old stock can have those problem too. The De Dietrich coaches for the Enterprise after their mid life refurb 3 year ago, had similar brake and wheel flat issues when they came back into service. There are coaches that were in service since 1997 and up till the late 2000's were still having issues with the park brake not releasing and the 201 loco not able to "talk" to stock at times.

The Irish Mk3s had issues with the plug doors too in the early days and they would still act up from time to time many years later.

Hopefully CAF will get the issues solved, they didn't with the Irish Mk4 ride quality even after bogie modifications.

• RMweb Gold

Have you thought about a limited edition set...

3 van hool coaches in a box set... with an M1 sign ?

Imitation limited edition CS refund cheque as a certificate ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Will the wheel flat spots of the prototype be accurately represented in the model ??  :mocking_mini: Would bring another level of realism to the modelling world ...

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I think the amount of returns of faulty goods we would get if we put in prototypical wheel flats would be massive! :D

Cheers

Fran

I am happy to supply at £15 a go a special tool that can accurately reproduce flat spots

• Funny 3

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I am happy to supply at £15 a go a special tool that can accurately reproduce flat spots

The wheels on some of the older Lima and Hornby models do make a clunking noise when I used them last. But if you wanted some clunky wheels you could run a file on one of them and file off about 0.25mm from one side and then polish it up with a dremel buffing pad to remove the scratches :).

Edited by BritishRail60062
Missed some text off last post :).

'Special Limited Edition' at a premium price, with an extra pair of axles each with part-flatted wheels so IF YOU WISH you can recreate the appearance of the real Mk.5 coaches as experienced in real life ...

There you go - no obligation to stick with them, just put them in if you've had one sherry too many at Christmas, or something ... !!

Al.

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

This week we have been mainly working on the Mark 5s!

Our Mark 5 project is progressing well through CAD. Here is CAD of the Nova driving cars. Underframe detailing and the intermediate coaches as well as sleepers is currently underway and flexibility for detail changes to the stock before entering traffic has also been allowed for.

*Please note that the driving trainer CAD is far from finished with detail still to be added and the windows will be nice and flush on the finished models as per the prototypes.

They've proved to be unbelievably popular, so thank you to everyone who has placed pre-orders so far. We are well on course for Q2 2020 delivery!

Cheers,

Fran

2019-07-04_(1).JPG

Phenomenal work guys!!! You saved me the time of trying to design and 3D print these..... Phew!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Fran, 

Hope you are well? 

Just to confirm when are the Class 92s, Caledonian Sleeper & TPE MK5s due to arrive? I ask because it originally was said that they would all arrive in Q1 2020 but I have just seen the CAD article for the MK5s (posted on the 5th July) on your website and it says that the MK5s are due to arrive in Q2 2020. Please could you confirm when the three are due to arrive? I ask just so that I can allocate my finances. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2019 at 13:17, atom3624 said:

I've 1 set of 5 TPE coaches ordered from some time ago, when I decided to 'hunt Brutus' ...

FINALLY got hold of one, at a fair price as well - so all's back on track now.

Al.

Pleased that you managed to get one. I managed to get one a few weeks ago from Grimy Times in Warrington. They had a sale on too so I got it for £120, which least to say I was very surprised about. I thought I would be paying an inflated price of £160+. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Pleased that you managed to get one. I managed to get one a few weeks ago from Grimy Times in Warrington. They had a sale on too so I got it for £120, which least to say I was very surprised about. I thought I would be paying an inflated price of £160+. 

Good price for you.

Rails have remained 'fair' in their pricing, despite some of the inflated pricing others have been trying - and probably succeeding - on people.

Mine was £138.50 DCC, with chip and blanking chip - sort of future proofed!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1