Mark 5, By Accurascale

45 minutes ago, 071 said:

Long! Each coach is around 291.33mm with corridor connections, so multiply it from there...

Cheers!

Fran

Strewf that's over 5m!!!...what are you doing to us :wild:

My layout which I am going to start building this year has now been adjusted to min. 30ft in length and gone from the loft to an outside backyard building, I want scale speed at full throttle on a straight!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I noticed that there is a currency conversion button on the site so I decided to look at the cost of the Highland set in AU$ 

I Know that the Aussie dollar isn't doing great But I didn't thing it was this bad

1157147016_mk5.jpg.c0a8a9f149fdf4c04ddf82fc8ba8f0da.jpg

Looks like I cant afford these any more

John

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, John ks said:

I noticed that there is a currency conversion button on the site so I decided to look at the cost of the Highland set in AU$ 

I Know that the Aussie dollar isn't doing great But I didn't thing it was this bad

1157147016_mk5.jpg.c0a8a9f149fdf4c04ddf82fc8ba8f0da.jpg

Looks like I cant afford these any more

John

For a 1:1 full sized coach, that’s about right.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The currency converter is purely a guide. It pulls today’s rates from

xe.com to give you an indication. 

Unfortunately the scripting that adds the VAT can misfire locally.  To fix it just refresh the page. 

All orders will will actually be billed in GBP regardless only in the checkout. 

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, classy52 said:

Strewf that's over 5m!!!...what are you doing to us :wild:

My layout which I am going to start building this year has now been adjusted to min. 30ft in length and gone from the loft to an outside backyard building, I want scale speed at full throttle on a straight!

Personally, if I were going for a bundle, then make 2 rakes of 8 from 16 coaches.  Simples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogbox321 said:

Personally, if I were going for a bundle, then make 2 rakes of 8 from 16 coaches.  Simples.

Have to say a Caledonian 18 coach rake with a new Class 92 at the front would look very impressive on a decent layout that has a long straight.

@classy52:

Is 18 coaches correct? I thought that it was a 16 coach train up from London then split on arrival at Edinburgh into three parts, with two additional coaches (what I call 'day' coaches) being added to the two sleepers going to Fort William ie; a four coach train.

I had assumed that on the return leg the two ('day') coaches would have been dropped off at Edinburgh and only the two sleepers being added to the 14 others going 'dahn sarf' (16 coaches) - or have I this wrong again?

Cheers,

Philip

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Philou said:

@classy52:

Is 18 coaches correct? I thought that it was a 16 coach train up from London then split on arrival at Edinburgh into three parts, with two additional coaches (what I call 'day' coaches) being added to the two sleepers going to Fort William ie; a four coach train.

I had assumed that on the return leg the two ('day') coaches would have been dropped off at Edinburgh and only the two sleepers being added to the 14 others going 'dahn sarf' (16 coaches) - or have I this wrong again?

Cheers,

Philip

It should be Phillip - the two dropped off at Edinburgh from the Southbound Highlander from Fort William are added back on to the following mornings Northbound Highlander ex-Euston again at Edinburgh.  According to Serco Caledonian Sleeper last week, the same will be done with the new stock. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Complicates things in terms of selling "packs", but I think that many modellers might want just the two to make up a FW sleeper train.

You can buy the Fort WIlliam set here for just £180

https://accurascale.co.uk/products/caledonian-sleeper-mk5-highlander-pack-2-aberdeen-fort-william

18 hours ago, Philou said:

@classy52:

Cheers,

Philip

Quite right. Two superb videos.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Complicates things in terms of selling "packs", but I think that many modellers might want just the two to make up a FW sleeper train.

Surely they'd buy the Fort William pack made of the two sleepers and two seated coaches?

The packs allow you to get accurate train formations without much work. The only drawbacks as far as I can see are if you want to model say the Aberdeen train but only have space for 4 or 5 of the six coach train.

• Like 1

16 coaches up from London to Edinburgh where the train splits into three portions. The Fort William train is the shortest portion being two sleepers. Two 'day' coaches are added making four coaches to Fort William. On the return leg, the 'day' coaches are removed at Edinburgh and the sleepers go on to London as part of the reformed 16 coach train. Meanwhile the two 'day' coaches are reattached to the mornings Northern Highlander set and once returned to Edinburgh then go back to Fort William as part of the overnight 'up' from London - apparently ;) .

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Edit: As No Decorum succintly puts it.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If your in the day coach from London to FW, I guess you get a 4am wake up to move from the Aberdeen coach to the FW coach.

Going the other way is more of a late night, with a coach swap at 01.11am.

presumably if your going for a late night out in Edinburgh, one could head down earlier in the day, and sleep it off from 1.30am and wake up in FTW in the am.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

if you want to model the train as it leaves Euston it’s best to go for the lowlander bundle, as that’s the 16 coach formation. We have modelled the Highlander in these packs to make the regional train modelable so there is better flexibility for everyone, but felt it best to offer a bundle for that too! 

Cheers,

Fran

4 hours ago, Philou said:

16 coaches up from London to Edinburgh where the train splits into three portions. The Fort William train is the shortest portion being two sleepers. Two 'day' coaches are added making four coaches to Fort William. On the return leg, the 'day' coaches are removed at Edinburgh and the sleepers go on to London as part of the reformed 16 coach train. Meanwhile the two 'day' coaches are reattached to the mornings Northern Highlander set and once returned to Edinburgh then go back to Fort William as part of the overnight 'up' from London - apparently ;) .

Cheers,

Philip

Are you sure it's 16 on the Highlander off of Euston?  It's currently running 7 for Inverness, 5 for Aberdeen and 2 for Fort William. Plus 2 added in Edinburgh to the Fort William 2. 

On 05/03/2019 at 18:12, Bob Reid said:

It should be Phillip - the two dropped off at Edinburgh from the Southbound Highlander from Fort William are added back on to the following mornings Northbound Highlander ex-Euston again at Edinburgh.  According to Serco Caledonian Sleeper last week, the same will be done with the new stock.  

I may have mis-understood your reply earlier to the point regarding the 16/18 coach question. Some kind soul a bit earlier had the diagrams up showing the splits - Edinburgh direction only, showing the Fort William section being reinforced with two 'day' coaches, making a total of 16 +2. (If the stock goes to Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William and doesn't get back to Lunnun somehow, they'll need pretty large sidings up north :) .)

Cheers,

Philip

PS: If I have it wrong, I stand to be corrected - so that I don't continue in my erroneous ways ;)).

Edited by Philou

That was by the actual workings I have for last week Philip - totalling 14 off Euston there may however have been for whatever the reason a reduction.  When I asked Caledonian Sleeper about it, they said the new stock would follow the same formations (obviously different vehicles)!

• Thanks 1

We..ee..llll - no. I should have (when I pull my finger out) a circuit that will be about 18m running length (7.5m x 5.5m  less allowance for curves). It's not my area nor my era, but I'm developing a thing for 'block' train movements.

I'm going into the barn to eye up another part of it as I think it's a little deeper than the bit I was going to use. I have a 6.2m viaduct that I want to build too. Putting the the two together means I could have a showcase piece of track to display and run things upon. Keep my original proposed layout for my upto 'modernisation' stock.

I shall think this through tomorrow.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Reid said:

Are you sure it's 16 on the Highlander off of Euston?  It's currently running 7 for Inverness, 5 for Aberdeen and 2 for Fort William. Plus 2 added in Edinburgh to the Fort William 2. 

The first batch of Mk3s went to scrap a few weeks ago (ones due heavy maintenance) which means they are running as 7 rather than 8 car block sets.

Edited by Bottlebank89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Out of interest is there any research/intel as to how many layouts there are that will do justice to a 16/18 coach formation? 

Judging by the amount of bundle buyers so far more than we thought! There has been good uptake in the bundles so far.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3