All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2019 at 08:07, JSpencer said:

If we use the Agile method of running a project, all these features can be listed and then weighted against cost and demand.

It works like this, if something costs too much to add but few will actually use it, you skip it. If its cheap to add and demand is high, you keep it. Every few weeks, you gather feedback in the research/design phase. You may find some people suddenly change their minds. For example if a self raising panto adds £100 (I'm not saying it will) and people start saying 'oh! I don't want one that much', it can be droped.

As you work through the project, you add an ever increasing numbers of features that people really want, remain relatively cheap to include and bring value to the model.

From a customer perspective, it means all suggestions are welcome, but each feature will of course need to be weighted and the impact (cost) fed back. A few will doubtless be prepared to pay a £1000 for a loco and wait 5 years for all the complex super duper items to be added into it. Most customers won't and so a balance in cost, features and timescale needs to be found. An Agile project seeks not to deliver everything, but rather the most sought after standard/cost that people want. The research/design gathering part with regular feedback could last 4 to 6 months, but at least you are confident that the end result matches mostly what people are after.

l think as it stands the Bachmann 90 has set the standards and raised the bar - so i guess thats probably a minimum standard - whether there's a raised pan or not is a bone of contention - but certainly ease of fitting a chip, lighting options - i think thats a minimum and if you can do it for around the same price then i think you're on to a winner - if you can add raising and lowering of the pan for DCC for the same price then your deffo in the ball game ......... if you can do it cheaper .... well .......

• Like 1

Class 91 Project update

Last month we visited Bounds Green depot in London to 3D scan a class 91 locomotive, as well as a MK4 coach and a DVT. We thought it would be really insightful to take a short video clip to showcase our visit, please see the link to the YouTube clip below:

https://youtu.be/dmIk1kb5Meg

We will be releasing a further update at this weekend's DEMU showcase, so if you're visiting please come along to our stand at 11.00am to hear all about the project and a new announcement with Trains4U! Don't worry if you can't make it - we will be emailing out the update as well as posting on Social Media.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Class 91 Project update

Last month we visited Bounds Green depot in London to 3D scan a class 91 locomotive, as well as a MK4 coach and a DVT. We thought it would be really insightful to take a short video clip to showcase our visit, please see the link to the YouTube clip below:

https://youtu.be/dmIk1kb5Meg

We will be releasing a further update at this weekend's DEMU showcase, so if you're visiting please come along to our stand at 11.00am to hear all about the project and a new announcement with Trains4U! Don't worry if you can't make it - we will be emailing out the update as well as posting on Social Media.

Looking forward to it. I'll be waiting for the update online.

Project 225 June update

Following our visit to Bounds Green in April, we are excited to reveal the following point cloud images of our class 91:

IMG_0854.JPG.3c359372986167184c81f5875c1ea4d7.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG.8273807b0da0d3fe0ce3d67fe4b57f5a.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG.376d6c8f4dfee69d5c7c09fe0603a4cd.JPG

We are now in the process of converting this data from the scan into the CADs.

We have also released the following 3D renders of the class 91 pantograph. The model is based directly from official drawings obtained from and with permission to recreate the pantograph and associated single arm operating mechanism from Brecknall Willis:

fullsizeoutput_b1d.jpeg.153483310b1fc8acf0c614d7e86e8a87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1e.jpeg.187a99d46b2a875d167bba0f05db63e8.jpeg

Project 225 will have the following features:

- Optional factory fitted DCC sound with EM2 speaker (LegomanBiffo)

- Fully operational and configurable lights (Day & Night modes)

- Flush glazing for the locomotive and rolling stock

- Highly detailed underframe

- Easy conversion to P4 & EM

- Blunt end operation

- Coach lighting

- 5 pole motor for scale speeds

- Authentic nose grilles dependent on version (including IC Swallow Emblem)

- Highly detailed interiors (91/coaches/DVT)

The project will also have the following advanced features:

- Scale pantograph solution

- Close coupling solution between coaches (2nd radius) - Class 91 valance coupling solution

- Sprung buffers

- Highly detailed bogies

- End coach/blunt end lighting

- Easy DCC fitting solution (without removing the body)

More details to follow on the above.

We are also very excited to open expressions of interest based on estimated prices. Please see the link below to express your interest.

www.cavalexmodels.com/class-91-expression-of-interest-form

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

hallo Cavalex,

Just received your eMail for expressions of interest. Am I blind or did you forget to add a selection to choose between N and 00? 

I expect that would help you determine numbers.

es grüßt 

pc

Hi PC,

You're quite right we forgot to put the drop down in - thanks very much for your suggestion!

Alex

6 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Project 225 June update

Following our visit to Bounds Green in April, we are excited to reveal the following point cloud images of our class 91:

IMG_0854.JPG.3c359372986167184c81f5875c1ea4d7.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG.8273807b0da0d3fe0ce3d67fe4b57f5a.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG.376d6c8f4dfee69d5c7c09fe0603a4cd.JPG

We are now in the process of converting this data from the scan into the CADs.

We have also released the following 3D renders of the class 91 pantograph. The model is based directly from official drawings obtained from and with permission to recreate the pantograph and associated single arm operating mechanism from Brecknall Willis:

fullsizeoutput_b1d.jpeg.153483310b1fc8acf0c614d7e86e8a87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1e.jpeg.187a99d46b2a875d167bba0f05db63e8.jpeg

Project 225 will have the following features:

- Optional factory fitted DCC sound with EM2 speaker (LegomanBiffo)

- Fully operational and configurable lights (Day & Night modes)

- Flush glazing for the locomotive and rolling stock

- Highly detailed underframe

- Easy conversion to P4 & EM

- Blunt end operation

- Coach lighting

- 5 pole motor for scale speeds

- Authentic nose grilles dependent on version (including IC Swallow Emblem)

- Highly detailed interiors (91/coaches/DVT)

The project will also have the following advanced features:

- Scale pantograph solution

- Close coupling solution between coaches (2nd radius) - Class 91 valance coupling solution

- Sprung buffers

- Highly detailed bogies

- End coach/blunt end lighting

- Easy DCC fitting solution (without removing the body)

More details to follow on the above.

We are also very excited to open expressions of interest based on estimated prices. Please see the link below to express your interest.

www.cavalexmodels.com/class-91-expression-of-interest-form

Superb! I'm excited now....

Just a question, I'd want a full set in N gauge and a locomotive only in OO. Are these being done together or will one follow the other?

Funding is a big deal for me and so are import taxes and so on. So I do need to plan carefully. Especially since I am also getting an Accurascale Class 92, RevolutioN Trains Class 92 and Hornby Class 87.

Cheers.

Alex, Cav, good to see you both again at DEMU earlier today.  Just catching up here with your 'Expressions of interest' page and a couple of quick questions, namely:

1. Does an "expression of interest" in this instance count as a firm order? 

2. What might the estimated payment schedule be?  I realize 50% immediately prior to tooling, balance on delivery etc, but just curious when that initial hit might be, especially as there are lots of projects this year coming thick-and-fast from all directions?

Best as always...

Al

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Superb! I'm excited now....

Just a question, I'd want a full set in N gauge and a locomotive only in OO. Are these being done together or will one follow the other?

Funding is a big deal for me and so are import taxes and so on. So I do need to plan carefully. Especially since I am also getting an Accurascale Class 92, RevolutioN Trains Class 92 and Hornby Class 87.

Cheers.

Hi we will be progressing the two scales together however in reality the 2mm model will probably lag behind as we are working on CADs for the 4mm model first and then reducing them for 2mm. 

As for timescales we are not clear on that at he moment, we are hoping to have the CADs completed over the next 2 to 3 months at which point we will have a much better idea regarding the milestones moving forward. Needless to say once the CADs are complete and full pre-orders open we need to reach the minimum order level to begin cutting tooling.

The expression of interest is not a firm pre-order at this stage, simply because we feel it ethically unsound to charge people for models that haven't had the CADs completed, however we are hoping that anyone placing an expression of interest will like the CADs when they see them and be happy to convert that to a full pre-order when the time comes to enable the project to move swiftly on.

The expressions of interest at this stage is very useful for us to determine the required levels of each version of the model and the packages that people would prefer to buy that trains in.

Regards

Cav

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 minutes ago, RBE said:

Hi we will be progressing the two scales together however in reality the 2mm model will probably lag behind as we are working on CADs for the 4mm model first and then reducing them for 2mm. 

As for timescales we are not clear on that at he moment, we are hoping to have the CADs completed over the next 2 to 3 months at which point we will have a much better idea regarding the milestones moving forward. Needless to say once the CADs are complete and full pre-orders open we need to reach the minimum order level to begin cutting tooling.

The expression of interest is not a firm pre-order at this stage, simply because we feel it ethically unsound to charge people for models that haven't had the CADs completed, however we are hoping that anyone placing an expression of interest will like the CADs when they see them and be happy to convert that to a full pre-order when the time comes to enable the project to move swiftly on.

The expressions of interest at this stage is very useful for us to determine the required levels of each version of the model and the packages that people would prefer to buy that trains in.

Regards

Cav

Hey Cav,

Thanks, the idea of the N gauge one following the OO gauge one a little later is comforting for my wallet. Because I'd hate to cancel an order over the lack of funds. I really want both and don't mind waiting also. I just know it's going to be amazing.

Well I'm assuming that the model will be out by 2020 (mid??) and not before?

I've placed my E.O.I. for both scales, if funds permit I'll order a full rake in N gauge.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

From the "The Railway Centre" website today....

That's the combo I've expressed interest in. Love the Swallow livery but too early for my modern image era of interest, so it's the ideal formation! 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Agree 1

Nice to meet the lads at DEMU and catch up, the illustrations (photos and showing the pan working) look very tasty indeed. I was going to have a modelling period of c.2013, however since the exhibition I’ve changed to present day, which gives me a perfect excuse to run the below formation!

I like the livery anyway, so I’ll certainly be getting one now. Apparently it ran this way due to gauging issues, running from Donny via Tyne Valley to Carlisle then down the WCML. When was the last time one appeared on the WCML south of Carlisle??

67006 91119 0Z91 Carnforth 07-06-2019

(Photo linked from Flickr, click to link to the original)

Keep up the excellent work!

Jack.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

Nice to meet the lads at DEMU and catch up, the illustrations (photos and showing the pan working) look very tasty indeed. I was going to have a modelling period of c.2013, however since the exhibition I’ve changed to present day, which gives me a perfect excuse to run the below formation!

I like the livery anyway, so I’ll certainly be getting one now. Apparently it ran this way due to gauging issues, running from Donny via Tyne Valley to Carlisle then down the WCML. When was the last time one appeared on the WCML south of Carlisle??

Jack.

With my Hornby Class 67 I can replicate this too..... Never imagined I could've done that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Jack.

Not sure if there have been any more recently than the below, although they shouldn't be staying a stranger to the WCML for much longer...

Class 91 On The West Coast Main Line.

Flickr image, details in link.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Found this brochure in my archive pile:

Interesting that the West Coast was mentioned at that time and speeds of 225kmh - something that never really got utilised properly.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge