5 minutes ago, Fitzer said:

Just after receiving my first Accurascale purchase after being an IRM customer since day 1. To say I'm extremely impressed in an understatement with my DRS bundle pack.

To me these PFA wagons are a few levels ahead of anything produced under the IRM brand bar maybe the plough vans. The Accurascale packaging is also alot more premium than the IRM range while at the same time the price point per wagon is alot cheaper.

Having examined and ran the PFAs over the weekend I can't help but feel what happened the Project 42 range. I was so impressed I went and ordered the Cawoods bundle before they sold out due to their Irish connection despite having nothing suitable to haul them. I really can wait for the TPE Mk5s and KUAs I have on order after purchasing these. Amazing little wagons and so cheap too.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the feedback and I am glad you are happy with your PFAs.

Regarding price, I think it is very important to remember economies of scale. We will produce far less Irish wagons over the lifetime of the tooling compared to an Accurascale wagon, as we have explained on the IRM forum previously. This is why the purchase price is higher for IRM products. The 42 wagon is also fully diecast frame, and bigger than the PFA. The running issues experienced with some 42ft liner flats are regrettable but have affected a small percentage of models. We have worked hard over Christmas to rectify these issues and are ensuring that the issue does not affect the rest of the 42ft flat based releases.

Many thanks,

Fran

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fran,

What really stands out to me is the feel ane weight of the PTAs, to me an unloaded PTA feels more weighty and solid than the 42. I think it's just due to the prototype construction with the PTA being a particularly beefy wagon compared to an Irish 20 or 22ft flat.

Anyways, can't wait for the full height LLNW loads.

On 12/01/2020 at 12:00, pinzaboy said:

Hi

I received my Cawood/Brithish Fuel PFA's last week and they are amazing. Unfortunately I have neither a large logo 56 or any coal sector locos at the moment. However, I do have a Railfreight 56 and wondered if anyone could advise if they ever worked these trains. 

Many thanks

Tim

Neil Harvey's excelent Diesels in the Upper Calder Valley collection on Flickr shows there's plenty of other choice of motive power:

Rail freight 37 899

BR Blue 47 334

Large logo blue 56 118

Coal Sector 56 119

Triple grey (no sector markings) 56 115

Steven B.

On 12/01/2020 at 18:42, 66738 said:

Hmmm. Running facing road through Hebden Bridge, or for some reason these have hooked on the rear, and are going to go over the signalled main to main cross over back towards Milneroyd Junction. Great picture.

The caption by photographer Michael McNicholas posted on the Flickr page with the photo explains this:  "A pair of Grids on the Ellesmere Port to Blyth Cawoods empties was very rare. Even rarer was the fact that they were running wrong line through Hebden Bridge station - presumably due to engineering work. 56118 and 56135 were captured on Saturday, the 7th May 1988 at 17:40."

I have to say they are absolutely exquisite! And even more so when you consider the price. Good value (by today's standards) I'd say.

I'm a first time Accurascale buyer too, but was drawn in the all the previous posts and failed to resist! Even though I had to apply Rule 1.

As a previous poster said on this thread, on the DRS ones a frame is fitted (in real life) on which the container sits to raise it up to clear the wheels. The Cawood containers (in real life) had indentations in the bottom to clear the wheels. The frame (accurately modelled) is easily removed should you want to run them totally empty.

I took some snaps on my phone earlier (so sorry about the poor quality) - I only realised I'd put the container on upside down just now; please be gentle...! (Old age eyesight)

The finesse is truly remarkable.

My only question is what is the best way of removing the coupling from its pocket? It didn't seem obvious to me, and I didn't want to do any damage.

Accurascale's otherwise excellent history and information sheet (fab - well done) is silent on the subject. Advice please!

PFA 3.jpg

PFA 1.jpg

PFA 2.jpg

PFA 4.jpg

PFA 5.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 11:42, dj_crisp said:

I've just had a go at trying to convert a PFA to EM and not had much joy. First attempt was to widen the existing wheelsets but this doesn't allow the wheels to turn due to the thickness of the wheelset. So i thought I'd try dropping in a DCC concepts wheel and i think the axle is a bit longer so doesn't turn. I just wondered what is the axle length and diameter used on the OO wheelset?

Thanks

Will

You might want to try a bearing drill like the one here from Knowle Model Works:

I've used it on a few wagons now where things have been a bit tight for 26mm axles with P4 wheels.

John

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

My only question is what is the best way of removing the coupling from its pocket? It didn't seem obvious to me, and I didn't want to do any damage.

Accurascale's otherwise excellent history and information sheet (fab - well done) is silent on the subject. Advice please!

The couplers are in standard NEM pockets. 

Just firmly grip the wagon, hold the coupler between your fingers and give it a steady pull, it should pop right out. If it's a little firm, a small tweezers to squeeze the NEM prongs just behind the coupler pocket will help.

You can then easily replace the coupler with the NEM compatible solution of your choice. HTH!

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 21.21.40.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2020 at 22:09, black and decker boy said:

Spare coal containers would be welcome as scenic items at loading points 

13 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The wagon and container were treat as a wagon till they arrived at the port as in Cawoods traffic and the railhead for onward distribution of the containers by road to the final customer!

found this on Flickr    Onllwyn Disposal Point

Derby [D3780] 1959  (2016_07_01)

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 2

Here's a shot of a mix of Cawoods and British Fuels

IMG_2164.PNG

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

Here's a shot of a mix of Cawoods and British Fuels

IMG_2164.PNG

Nice photo 

I got the Cawood bundle and 1 pack of the British Fuels so I could run similar with a mixed rake.

I like the weathering it has given me ideas.

How were these wagons loaded? it doesn't look like they were loaded under a hopper although I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on here could advise.

Would they of been loaded with a mechanical shovel perhaps ?

Regards Baz 

Edited by bazil31

Ran mine faultlessly down the club yesterday.  I have discovered that these ran to Falmouth in the summers of 1995/96.  A local coal merchant bought container loads when coal was cheap in the summer.  The containers were unloaded by reach stacker in Falmouth docks and taken by lorry to the merchant’s coal yard.  The services were generally hauled in Cornwall by Transrail 37s.  However, I have seen photos of a 60 hauling a mixed rake of bullets and PFAs.

Brilliant wagons.  Thankyou Accurascale!

8E895699-DDD6-461C-A71E-A06679E07D4A.jpeg

Edited by mevaman1
Improved photo resolution.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Received both my Gypsum bundle today as well as the Cawood bundle. These wagons can only be described as fantastic. The detail in these is in a different league to any RTR waggon currently on the market in my honest opinion. I look at them and then later I find even more detail that I have missed. Fantastic kit and an absolute credit to Accurascale and the team.

Im sure you wont but don't ever compromise or sacrifice detail guys. You will rapidly corner the market if you keep this up without a shadow of a doubt. Ive got two 37's on pre-order and if the wagons are anything to go by we are in for a very special treat indeed.

Well done

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A very modellable train !
37379 hauls a short northbound 6m90 near Marley Aire Valley
Photo by Neil Harvey

6653115999_e82d1e88b6_c.jpg

• Like 11

Always a sign of an excellent model on RMWEB when the only complaint is that some liveries have already sold out.

As I understand  it, there will be some more of each livery available once the batch currently on a ship arrive in port, so good things will come to those that havent savoured these models yet.

Take a bow, Accurascale. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

On 14/01/2020 at 20:51, Krieghoff said:

can we have some pics of the Gypsum wagons as well :)

How about a video? 

Thank you to everyone for your very kind comments on the PFAs. We're delighted they have gone down so well with you all. 

We do indeed have more stock of all packs on the way to us aboard MSC Febe! In the case of the gypsums though we did not make a huge amount of packs as pre orders were quite low, but once they arrived they've flown out the door, so if you want them it's advised to grab them quick, via ourselves when they arrive in stock or via our retailers. 

We put our heart and soul into our models, and as a result the odd delay does occur (we're probably too picky at times) but we feel we must make the result worth it. Lots more new stuff to come, some as yet unannounced!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/01/2020 at 16:50, bazil31 said:

Nice photo 

I got the Cawood bundle and 1 pack of the British Fuels so I could run similar with a mixed rake.

I like the weathering it has given me ideas.

How were these wagons loaded? it doesn't look like they were loaded under a hopper although I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on here could advise.

Would they of been loaded with a mechanical shovel perhaps ?

Regards Baz 

When they were loaded at Coedbach and Onllwyn, I'm pretty certain it was under the screens.

My two packs of Cawood PFAs arrived this morning, great service again guys, Thanks. The whole packaging is even of such a high quality and obviously the contents are absolutely superb. 

Definitely need the 30ft Russell ones now though! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 12/01/2020 at 22:07, Accurascale Fran said:

We’ll certainly be expanding the range of containers for these in run 2. I shall say no more....

Thanks Fran. 

Haha, I think you have already said enough. Judging by how popular the half height DRS PFAs have been surely their would be enough demand for two or three packs of three full height PFAs as hauled by DRS 68s. DRS Class 68s also haul some blue full height PFAs as well. So their are potentially two liveries/modern variations that you could produce as full height PFAs. I know that I would have some, especially if the price is £70, or in that area for a pack of three. I feel that offers excellent value for money in the current market. 

Have you got any ideas when a second batch may be produced? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

When they were loaded at Coedbach and Onllwyn, I'm pretty certain it was under the screens.

Interesting mix in this pic, shows containers on lorrys

FBR4-022

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 25901 said:

Interesting mix in this pic, shows containers on lorrys

FBR4-022

I think they may have come from repair, as the unloading doors on the first wagon are at the tractor end.

My DRS pack has arrived and they are absolutely cracking models just like the PCA’s. Excellent weight, superb details, very well made and excellent attention to detail. 
It’s the packaging that tells you the models are going to be very good. It’s extremely well designed and I really can’t see how anything could get damaged in the box. It is also very stylish. £70 really feels like great value for money.

Really well done to Accurascale and I look forward eagerly for my JSA’s and 37’s.

Do not change a thing, keep doing what you are doing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi Fran, 

Just wondered if this looks familiar? 

This is my order for 45 of your outstanding 'PFA' wagons, which have arrived here at Stewarts Lane today! 

To say I'm impressed is an understatement of epic proportions and I would like to join the praise of others by saying Thank you and Very Well Done! 

My intention is to run a Hornby Class 60 with at least 42 of these wagons, as per my days working into and out of Mountfield... I have no doubt at all that this will be possible, thanks to properly designed and properly weighted vehicles. 

Thank you for your attention to detail in every aspect of my order, looking forward to dealing with you again, 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

IMG_20200116_183121.jpg.a76bf7269b15dfb50711b59ba8095a24.jpg

IMG_20200116_183134.jpg

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Would anyone have information on the PFA's that ran into Workington Docks carrying gypsum? I believe these trains ran in either late 1990's or early 2000's. Was this just a flow that ran for a short period using PFA's? Also, any other photos of the British Gypsum PFA's in Workington would be very nice. Not my photos; just linked in post to illustrate the working in question.

56096-wkd.jpg

River Derwent Crossing.