Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Are You Building a Temporary Layout, or the Ultimate One?

Layout Types  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What Layout Type are You Building?

• The Ultimate "all bells and whistles" Layout
    • The "one that I'll replace in the future" Layout
    • The "I just want to run trains" Layout
    • The "test track" Layout
    • Another type that isn't listed

• RMweb Gold

I've built three small layouts, and exhibited all three, in a little under four years. 

Having previously got bogged down with a large loft layout which was never finished, I am happy to stay with small layouts. 

I am now just about to start on the next project, again small, easy to work on and easily transported. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

I was building something that would live in the study along the book cases.

but son #1 has put down a deposit on a flat share and he moves out in a couple of weeks, it has been decreed that I get his room as my very own playroom - office and railway(s), Mrs W gets the study.

Typically, I have laid the ballast on my layout but not glued it so now in a quandary want to do.

There is space for two layouts in the 'playroom', so I might just start over......

I had just started a project and it is certainly not a lifetime layout. It is a tiny micro-layout with the objective of practising my skills and to just to get something up and running. However, it is probably the 'ultimate' layout for me in my current circumstances. I have very little space, temporary living arrangements and very tight finances so it is the best solution at the moment. 

Am I getting enjoyment out of it? Certainly.

Will I finish it? Hopefully!

One day will I attempt something bigger and more comprehensive? Maybe. 

A larger project is a long way in the future though, and a lot would have to change for me to even think about it. So for now, although not ideal, 'something' is better than 'nothing'. 

• Like 2

We have one finished 0-9 layout that lives on top of a set of shelves. It's not been run for some time. We have another one in the process of being modified from through running to being a turminus, another micro layout part built and a S7 layout in the design stage.

I build layouts and then struggle to build stock to run on them.

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/06/2019 at 13:40, TheQ said:

My layout (EM gauge) is hardly started, but then I've spent ten years or so building the shed for it. The Shed is 63ft by a varying amount up to 16ft wide.

I've a couple of times tried to build the main station in the past , but the compression just didn't work. This time there is no compression so it will be about 34ft long..

Even if I were to complete the whole layout it would never be completed, because I would just go round again improving it..

It is however My ultimate layout.

As I've inherited an N gauge layout, I decided that would be the exhibition layout, which means a lot less complication to the main layout, as there now won't be a removable for show section..

63ft x 16ft, thanks I can now show Mrs SG that my shed is not 'too big' :)

On 28/06/2019 at 12:06, Sir TophamHatt said:

Has anyone changed or upgraded their layout in small ways?

I built one, but then decided to relocate it (to a bigger area :P) and so just started again.  However this one is going to be there a good few (5+) years, so I expect I'll be upgrading/adding to bits of it in that time rather than a whole "rip out and start again" sort of thing.

Does turning an end to end into a roundy count?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

63ft x 16ft, thanks I can now show Mrs SG that my shed is not 'too big' :)

Does turning an end to end into a roundy count?

Hi Map

I think Mrs SG would like to see the shed finished so she can throw all your junk in it.

And when will the layout be ready so i can come and play?

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Map

I think Mrs SG would like to see the shed finished so she can throw all your junk in it.

And when will the layout be ready so i can come and play?

Which layout? ;)

I imagine the G gauge will be running in fairly short order once it's done. TLFKAWL may take a touch longer, but it just needs a single through fiddle line to run really ;)

Collecting the cladding on Thursday....

• Like 1

It's interesting to read how people vary with different approaches to their modelling. 

I do admire those who have the mental 'stick-ability' to concentrate on a lifetime or long-term project. Maybe it is just down to my attention span but I know I simply couldn't commit to something like this, however much I would like to. I am realstic enough to know that the time, money and effort is simply beyond me! I think I am just too much of a scatterbrain, have too many disparate interests and flit from one interest to another, which means I am much more suited to small projects and micro-layouts. I like the how they are manageable and you can see progress after completing even the smallest of tasks. As I say, probably more a negative reflection on myself, or even my generation, than anything else. I suppose it's probably also somewhat indicative of my life circumstances too. 

However, I am full of admiration for those who can stick to such a project. Maybe one day my outlook will change, but for the time being I think this is the best approach to my modelling.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a 'toughie' question! I guess it'll be a last layout type of thing. Definitely a roundy-roundy, with capacity for development, and/or expansion. I'd like to just sit & watch the trains go by, but if a visitor called, to switch over to multiple train running. I'm used to seeing scale length trains, so 50-odd wagon trains would be ideal. 

If money was no object..... There are so many layouts & operational scenarios I can both remember & visualise, I'd never get to enjoy them all.  No tender locomotives though! Apart from a Dean Goods I've bought on a whim, everything is tank locomotive country. Of course, there is no real limit to a couple of 72xx (or 4). My ideal time period is longer than my imagination, so anything west of Severn Tunnel Junction, and populated with Great Western & absorbed locomotive stock. 

A lot of my stock has been stowed away for decades: Not by design; it's just the way things work out.

The sun is shining, and I can dream.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

If money was no object..... 

That's a huge factor isn't it and realistically a position that none of us are ever likely to be in. That holy trinity of time, money and space does much to govern our plans, aspirations and ultimately our modelling output. 

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The sun is shining, and I can dream.....

Having said the above, there is nothing wrong with dreamin fella! It would be a poorer world without dreamers........  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

That's a huge factor isn't it and realistically a position that none of us are ever likely to be in. That holy trinity of time, money and space does much to govern our plans, aspirations and ultimately our modelling output. 

Having said the above, there is nothing wrong with dreamin fella! It would be a poorer world without dreamers........  

The problem is an exponential one, and is by & large,  only limited by space. The more space you have, the more you are liable to try to fill it! I realised that if I built a scale 4mm layout of Llantrisant  yard, I would need to include  Mwyndy Junction, Llantrisant signal boxes, and the South Wales main line. Not to mention the Cowbridge branch, Penygraig branch, and the branch over to Common Branch Junction. To achieve that, would mean constructing an area roughly 200 x 200 metres, so a very large building such as an very large aircraft hangar. Then, you realise that your layout can indeed accommodate tender locomotives, so we get into such things as halls, castles, stars, 28xx etc.  Lets do some simple maths.... Lets say you have 50-0dd locomotives (some have more, some have less). Lets multiply that by a scale length train.... Bingo! About 2,500 wagons alone..... I thought this idea was wonderful, but I woke up when I fell out of bed..

• Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

The problem is an exponential one, and is by & large,  only limited by space. The more space you have, the more you are liable to try to fill it! I realised that if I built a scale 4mm layout of Llantrisant  yard, I would need to include  Mwyndy Junction, Llantrisant signal boxes, and the South Wales main line. Not to mention the Cowbridge branch, Penygraig branch, and the branch over to Common Branch Junction. To achieve that, would mean constructing an area roughly 200 x 200 metres, so a very large building such as an very large aircraft hangar. Then, you realise that your layout can indeed accommodate tender locomotives, so we get into such things as halls, castles, stars, 28xx etc.  Lets do some simple maths.... Lets say you have 50-0dd locomotives (some have more, some have less). Lets multiply that by a scale length train.... Bingo! About 2,500 wagons alone..... I thought this idea was wonderful, but I woke up when I fell out of bed..

Yes an impossible dilemma. Such ideas can be daunting as well as aspirational. I am in the opposite camp at the moment, having completely sold up and changed scale, I now have one loco and about a dozen wagons! Having pared right back, I'm much happier with my lot now to be honest. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:20, steve1 said:

No intention of ever building an "ultimate" layout. I'm a serial layout builder with multiple interests when it comes to prototypes.

steve

This. Very much this.

I like the variety, cheapness, portability and simplicity of micro layouts - I'm working my way through a series of them, mostly based on the Ikea Lack 110cm x 26cm floating shelf (so they can be stored out of harms way on the wall brackets when not being played with). 

2 complete, 2 under build and another 3 or 4 in the planning stage, covering potentially 009, TT, H0, OO, EM and possibly O and featuring Welsh, Czech, BR, East German and American prototypes.

Stock requirements nice and low, operationally fun, quick to build/finish, plus they take moments to set-up ready for some play and moments to pack down (also very useful traits for exhibiting - the 2 completed layouts have travelled to exhibitions by bike, bus or train!)

I guess also, given the spectre of mortality looming over everyone, my micros and their stock will be easier for my partner to dispose of (assuming she outlives me!) rather than some huge permanent trainset permanently affixed to the structure of the house.

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

This. Very much this.

I like the variety, cheapness, portability and simplicity of micro layouts - I'm working my way through a series of them, mostly based on the Ikea Lack 110cm x 26cm floating shelf (so they can be stored out of harms way on the wall brackets when not being played with). 

2 complete, 2 under build and another 3 or 4 in the planning stage, covering potentially 009, TT, H0, OO, EM and possibly O and featuring Welsh, Czech, BR, East German and American prototypes.

Stock requirements nice and low, operationally fun, quick to build/finish, plus they take moments to set-up ready for some play and moments to pack down (also very useful traits for exhibiting - the 2 completed layouts have travelled to exhibitions by bike, bus or train!)

I guess also, given the spectre of mortality looming over everyone, my micros and their stock will be easier for my partner to dispose of (assuming she outlives me!) rather than some huge permanent trainset permanently affixed to the structure of the house.

I am very much of this mindset too. Love the variety offered by micro-layouts and if it all goes wrong then very little is lost too. 

I am intrigued to hear you haved travelled to exhibitions on the train, taking the layout with you, it's always something I have wanted to do!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

This. Very much this.

Hi Alan

Did you say you would be willing to dispose of my toy trains? Better go and check if it can be taken apart or if you need a hammer.

Is it good that we all have our own ideas on what type of layouts we would like to own and operate. Sometimes this does come down what resources we have at the time so the ultimate layout remains in our dreams. I am very lucky on retiring and moving to new abode I have as close to my dream layout as I will ever get. I hope others in time will be as lucky as me. Others are lucky like Alan and Steve in their interest and view on model railways differs to mine. As long as we all are enjoying ourselves then we are all winners.

Alan as a side note if taking my layout away by bus it will need to be a Wednesday or Friday if going to Louth or a Tuesday if going to Grimsby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I am very much of this mindset too. Love the variety offered by micro-layouts and if it all goes wrong then very little is lost too. 

I am intrigued to hear you haved travelled to exhibitions on the train, taking the layout with you, it's always something I have wanted to do!

Not just travelled...

7090714_orig.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Alan

Did you say you would be willing to dispose of my toy trains? Better go and check if it can be taken apart or if you need a hammer.

Is it good that we all have our own ideas on what type of layouts we would like to own and operate. Sometimes this does come down what resources we have at the time so the ultimate layout remains in our dreams. I am very lucky on retiring and moving to new abode I have as close to my dream layout as I will ever get. I hope others in time will be as lucky as me. Others are lucky like Alan and Steve in their interest and view on model railways differs to mine. As long as we all are enjoying ourselves then we are all winners.

Alan as a side note if taking my layout away by bus it will need to be a Wednesday or Friday if going to Louth or a Tuesday if going to Grimsby.

I did and I still would and am a tad envious that you've made and clearly enjoy a proto-inspired trainset that allows you to run decent length trains (perhaps the one and only thing I do miss with micros)

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

This. Very much this.

When IKEA brought out the LACK range they had no idea what a service they did to railway modellers. 

All my layouts are thus based..

Here's Sheep Lane. Scenic section is 110cm x 26cm x 5cm LACK shelf. 

Rob. 

index-6-05.jpeg

post-14122-0-56700700-1476007944_thumb-01-02.jpeg

20190328_061924.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Not just travelled...

7090714_orig.jpg

First Class? That's cheating

Try it standing in the Pleb's section:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

Not just travelled...

7090714_orig.jpg

Love it!

As Melmerby says, no expense spared mind.... first class travel! Did you have to book a seat for the layout too!?! :laugh_mini:

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

First Class? That's cheating

Try it standing in the Pleb's section:jester:

With a neck strap, like an usherette's tray, and a suitable choice of prototype* I see no problem. 

*I would suggest such subjects as a train ferry on a stormy night, or possibly something set in Southern California or Japan.

Well my layout started out as being "the" ultimate one having moved into a new home where Mrs CDF granted full planning permission for my railway in a spare bedroom ....ahah dream comes true!

But now I'm 6 years into it, track looking good, all ballasted nicely, scenery complete, converted to DCC and apart from signaling is virtually complete. But operationally it doesn't satisfy me. I made errors with the track design and it's now starting to annoy me! (Memories of many school reports "could do better")!

So after all that I'm now thinking of doing a Dr Beeching on it! But can I face it?...  Decisions, decisions....

Therefore voted option No.2

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I guess mine is a massive learning curve of DCC, Electronics and EM track... then one day scenery. It's not too big as I intend finishing it and hopefully a larger space becomes available so it can be part of a bigger plan. So it's kinda modular!

At my stage of life ( 47; full time career; teenage kids ) by necessity of space and time planks are where it’s at.

i have ideas for one more after this which will take me into my 50s.....

then it’ll be time for the final large ultimate loft or garden scheme.

• Agree 1