All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I had quite the opposite - all my Bachmann s run well but the HJ47s were requiring decoders  like circuit breakers from a power station and did either 0 mph or 150.

I remember being completely underwhelmed with the " new generation " when I received my first one in 2001

Whoops Bachmann’s 

I've dug out my various 'modern manufacture/China' 47s for review seeing as two new models are on the horizon. Lately I had only retained two Heljan 47s (both blue, one a 47/0 and the other a Stratford 47/4), and digging them out I like them enough to keep them both. They also represent the first generation of the 'Superdetail' models which we've now had two decades of, so there's a bit of history there. I also like the bulb lighting, it works so well with blue and green era diesels giving that incandescent glow. I will also be keeping three Bachmann 47s covering specific subjects/liveries that suit me, and letting go of a few others to make some room. As far as the new Heljan release is concerned I will await livery/subject details and if one (or more) appeal will certainly be buying - as now I expect examples from both stables will make it into my fleet. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/08/2021 at 16:52, mdvle said:

That said, as noted by Ben the Class 47 market is likely big enough for 2 high end models and the choice of what to buy is just as likely to come down to who is offering the right livery and number at the moment of purchase vs the name on the box.

Which is exactly what I'm going to be doing, at the moment probably two Bachmann and three Heljan, just on liveries.  Price wise there doesn't seem to be much in it, similar to the DMU pricing.  Thing is we've been wanting extra detail and fidelity, but it comes with a price attached.

9 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

Photo of the Heljan 47 in the display cabinet at Heaton Lodge Junction in Wakefield this weekend

class 47.jpg

Thanks for posting this, that clearly shows that all the previously noted issues are still there, most obviously the roof where the grills/serck slat area looks completely wrong. The serck appears to be one slat short and should be much higher up the roof than the other grills, but they’re practically level.

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, Global said:

Thanks for posting this, that clearly shows that all the previously noted issues are still there, most obviously the roof where the grills/serck slat area looks completely wrong. The serck appears to be one slat short and should be much higher up the roof than the other grills, but they’re practically level.

Yes, see what you mean and it does seem that the competition have got this area right.

Maybe we are procrastinating over nothing and all will be ok in the end, but you’d have thought Heljan would have said something by now.

Shame really as I was looking forward to 47555 following me around for the rest of my life, like it did when I was young!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Global said:

But I compared some proto pictures to the model (although a bit difficult on the angle of the model) the cab drip rail on the prototype appears to be (as near as damn’it) in line with the top of the lower slat on the serck slats, and the model seems to be the same.

0687C038-1AD1-45C6-87CA-F7286CE93516.jpeg.8d4584e55fbfe87804e6ccae5232624c.jpeg

• Like 1

It is the same on the O gauge model of course ,which I do have one of. Whilst I like the model and its mechanism there are  elements of the roof that are all over the place, and I don't really want to weather it too much to hide it all! Shame really and definitely one for Ben to cast his eye over for version 3! On the evidence, I'd say Bachmann has the lead for a 4mm model at the moment though.;)

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 43179 said:

Another couple of shots from Wakefield - concentrating on the cabs:

Jon

0A0C1354-4089-4B21-AC0F-2A72774176E5.jpeg

C2C2251F-43A3-48B9-9DAC-B7E508FEA96E.jpeg

Again similar to the 7mm version, it appears to have a flattish front if viewed from above (which of course we can't, so are interpreting). The front windows of the real thing form a swept back "v" and the nose bows out quite a bit in the middle.

That said the 7mm is selling despite these issues so even with competition in 4mm, I think many purchasers will chose on performance and the right livery options.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Not sure if you are at cross purposes (hes talking about the top lining up, not the bottom) or have merely found something on the model that is right!

Aha gotcha, yes upon re reading your quite right….and now you’ve pointed that out I cannot un-see it :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

It is the same on the O gauge model of course ,which I do have one of. Whilst I like the model and its mechanism there are  elements of the roof that are all over the place, and I don't really want to weather it too much to hide it all! Shame really and definitely one for Ben to cast his eye over for version 3! On the evidence, I'd say Bachmann has the lead for a 4mm model at the moment though.;)

Don’t say that, I’ll have to go dig out my 7mm version as well now :D

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t say that, I’ll have to go dig out my 7mm version as well now :D

Joking aside, if you hadn't noticed why worry about it? 

These discussions of shape seem to get very polarised which I've never really understood. If something looks how you remember it (or equally runs well if thats more important to you) then get one and enjoy it!

We all have different priorities and no one is better than another.

Forums tend to get heated and divisive though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Joking aside, if you hadn't noticed why worry about it? 

These discussions of shape seem to get very polarised which I've never really understood. If something looks how you remember it (or equally runs well if thats more important to you) then get one and enjoy it!

I wouldn’t be at all worried about it, all my 47s look like 47s to me……TBH I was never a “train spotter” and was more interested in cab rides with my Uncle than anything else.:good:

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I was never a “train spotter” and was more interested in cab rides with my Uncle than anything else.:good:

In which case get yourselves along to modelu and ride in these :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

If something looks how you remember it (or equally runs well if thats more important to you) then get one and enjoy it!

And that is where I struggle with a number of Heljan products, they just don't look quite right. The new Peak is the same, yes the curve from bodyside to roof starts too high, but there is something odd about the whole of the windscreen / cab roof area that I just cant identify what, but when I look at it, it isn't a peak as I remember them.

I quite agree, priorities are different, but I wish Heljan would get things right so they meet all the priorities. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

In which case get yourselves along to modelu and ride in these :)

Ahh I wish I could, unfortunately Uncle Ron passed away four years ago now, he joined LNER in 1947 at 14 as engine cleaner, made it through to top link at K+  I’ve been “second man” on everything from 08 to 90…..he was my hero.

0BC28B86-A7E5-4A9D-BEC8-D4A7BA68780B.jpeg.d20f4760a1e1268d6fdb0d7e4bef6cfa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Just zooming in on my own photo, and looking carefully at the 7mm ones - the model does have the correct number of slats on the serck shutters - 7 - but on the model the top slat hasn’t really been interpreted correctly- and is almost flush with the rest of the roof so , yes, it sort of appears not to be there - (you can just see the very feint panel line describing  it’s upper edge top right of my cropped image below) not helped by the roof profile being ‘off’ which throws off the all the surrounding features. 
I think the Bachmann one is well in the lead at the moment.

Jon

38C8655D-F2C4-47CD-BE1B-D533F80458F8.jpeg

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 43179 said:

Just zooming in on my own photo, and looking carefully at the 7mm ones - the model does have the correct number of slats on the serck shutters - 7 - but on the model the top slat hasn’t really been interpreted correctly- and is almost flush with the rest of the roof so , yes, it sort of appears not to be there - (you can just see the very feint panel line describing  it’s upper edge top right of my cropped image below) not helped by the roof profile being ‘off’ which throws off the all the surrounding features. 
I think the Bachmann one is well in the lead at the moment.

Jon

38C8655D-F2C4-47CD-BE1B-D533F80458F8.jpeg

Quite correct, well spotted….even looking at the pic of the 47 in my Uncles picture the top slat very defined against the roof line, but on the model the top slat just disappears into the roof.

Hmm, probably looks fine on the CAD :wacko:

Heljan have to be a bit careful with this one - they have decent competition in 4mm. It’s probably too late now though as these are production samples ?

To be honest in 7mm they could probably get away with a jelly mould on wheels as the only game in town , for diesels , pretty much 

• Agree 3