All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2023 at 17:39, stovepipe said:

Here's a link to the TMC Limited Edition of D1960, with some further photos of the Warley sample.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/hel4715

This one can also be renumbered to 47514 for those early TOPS modellers.

47514_1975_08_Nottingham

0F70 - isn’t that light engine to Old Oak Common depot?

On 23/01/2023 at 17:39, stovepipe said:

Here's a link to the TMC Limited Edition of D1960, with some further photos of the Warley sample.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/hel4715

This one can also be renumbered to 47514 for those early TOPS modellers.

47514_1975_08_Nottingham

And 47260, although that one was short-lived and not ETH-fitted (unlike this one which was fitted from new).

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2023 at 00:37, Halvarras said:

And 47260, although that one was short-lived and not ETH-fitted (unlike this one which was fitted from new).

Since D1960/47514 was ETH fitted from new, the TMC LE should have it. But an ETH box isn't visible show on the cab front so how is Heljan addressing ETH fitted versions? There doesn't appear to be a hole to plug it in like the Bachmann model.

Can't see an ETH box on the front of LL 47450 in the earlier posting either.

Edited by brushman47544
add text.
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the GMaster Editions is 47578 in RES. The photo shows the /7 (776) number. 

Does anyone know what differences there are between it running as 578 & 776 (and I dont just mean the number 🤪 )

Ben @ Heljan. Any further photos etc ?

On 04/08/2023 at 12:00, Peanut89 said:

One of the GMaster Editions is 47578 in RES. The photo shows the /7 (776) number. 

Does anyone know what differences there are between it running as 578 & 776 (and I dont just mean the number 🤪 )

Ben @ Heljan. Any further photos etc ?

Nothing of note until she gained 47/7 cables around 1996. 

• RMweb Gold

I see 47555 and got confused, I thought all 6 liveries were 47555.

So now I’m confused theres only 1x 47555 and its not even sold in a twin pack.

😀

(if you know what i’m on about, your probably over 40)

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

On 05/08/2023 at 14:24, GD said:

Can't see anything there that wasn't announced at least a year ago

According to Rails of Sheffield, it's actually just the addition of sound decoders to previously announced DCC Ready-only models.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Is there a link to see this & further pictures of the model please 

Not sure a friend sent me pic from Rails of Sheffield email this was the only other one he sent but think it's just a zoomed in shot of the frontIMG-20230812-WA0001.jpg.493d47431c7b99536f40d611a86b8af5.jpg

• Like 3

On 07/08/2023 at 13:45, GRUNFOS said:

The old one scrubs up well, excellent Railtech transfers including ETH plug warning flash.

PICT0017(6).JPG.a6a104b5aef8c335de682db0dd603741.JPG

I agree - my take on it was that if it was good enough for Mostyn it was good enough for me. I have three plus three Bachmann, although they have different purposes so don't get run together.

One of the issues with the first releases was that the narrow bogie frames emphasised the slightly overwidth body, to the extent that it was difficult to imagine a 4mm driver climbing the bogie steps to reach the cab door as they were so inset. Later models had the locating sockets on the rear of the sideframes extended to push the frames further out, which helped disguise the body's dimensional problem (for those not aware due to the passage of time, as it was over 20 years ago, it is believed that the error was due to the model's width over body being derived from the Class 47 width dimension including cab door handrails which projected a few inches from the bodyside; the bufferbeam area appeared to be the correct width indicating that the cab's front face was also correct, so as a result the cab sidesheets curved in a little more sharply than they should. It's acceptable to me, but even so I have to say that it made me appreciate just how good Lima's toolmakers had been 15 years earlier!)

• Like 2

I hope they do a better job of the 48 for Model Rail than they did of the PWM. They should do – the 48 is an adaptation and not something new from the rail up. It would make sense to do 47s and 48s together so perhaps we’ll hear something about the 48s soon.

• RMweb Gold

I think it needs a bit more work yet, looking at the headcode box fitting, whatever that seam is all about along the bottom of the cab side and think the bufferbeam rim/body interface needs another pass to remove those squared off joints and gaps.

Given the discounting on the Bachmann 47 i’m not sure how well a second 47 will do, but its an improvement on the last Heljan 47.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree it is an improvement, but one area that still stands out is the curvature of the cantrail grills - they are not flat enough when compared to the photo of 47514 above. The previous Heljan 47 was I think better in this area.

Also, I'm still waiting to see how Heljan models the higher position ETH receptacle. It was missing on the image of LL 47450 shown some time ago.

That seam at the bottom of the cab is still there, makes me think that the default bodyshell is the cut cab version and this little addition of plastic forms the original cab sides, if thats the case then it's a really strange design and I can't unsee that line.  We shall see.

I really wanted this to be on par with Bachmann as I would like the res 47578 and nse 47596. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GD said:

That seam at the bottom of the cab is still there, makes me think that the default bodyshell is the cut cab version and this little addition of plastic forms the original cab sides, if thats the case then it's a really strange design and I can't unsee that line.  We shall see.

I really wanted this to be on par with Bachmann as I would like the res 47578 and nse 47596. 

Its an EP, hopefully speaking up now gives time to make it right.