All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

9 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Bachmann 47 looks right, despite its mechanical pulling power, which is the best of all.

Sorry don't agree with that, a Heljan 47 has superior traction effort compared to the Bachmann model.  Although the Heljan model has only 4 axle drive, placed head to head with an unpowered/dead Bachmann 47, the Heljan will easily push it along the track, not so the other way around, the Bachmann will just sit and spin all it's wheels ! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

By 73 roof dimples, do you mean the deformed cab roof domes? I must admit that I've never noticed them, despite travelling several times a week Victoria- Gatwick. So you're probably right inasmuch as it's what we expect to see rather than what we really do see.

Discussed in this thread and a good analysis by Andy York: 

Dapol came in for a lot of criticism having actually captured that aspect pretty well spot on.

Roy

4 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Sorry don't agree with that, a Heljan 47 has superior traction effort compared to the Bachmann model.  Although the Heljan model has only 4 axle drive, placed head to head with an unpowered/dead Bachmann 47, the Heljan will easily push it along the track, not so the other way around, the Bachmann will just sit and spin all it's wheels ! 

Thanks Tractor. I have found the Bachmann one to be very good, but I haven't tried that experiment, so I'll take your word for it. Overall I prefer the look of the Heljan one to Bachmann (though the Lima one still has the most accurate look overall (windows excepted).

(the above regarding accuracy of looks is just my opinion. Others may have different opinions.)

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Dapol came in for a lot of criticism having actually captured that aspect pretty well spot on.

Thanks Roy. I did read something about it at the time, but I was not really active with modelling at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

Overall I prefer the look of the Heljan one to Bachmann (though the Lima one still has the most accurate look overall (windows excepted).

Have you tried adding the Shawplan /EE cab front window etches to Heljan 47s? I think it significantly improves the 'face' of the model, which as you say, is probably the weakest part of it as regards capturing the overall look of the prototype.

2 minutes ago, 158722 said:

Have you tried adding the Shawplan /EE cab front window etches to Heljan 47s? I think it significantly improves the 'face' of the model, which as you say, is probably the weakest part of it as regards capturing the overall look of the prototype.

No, I don't personally have any Heljan Brush 4s, I'm just going based on photos here and ones I've seen in the local shop.

I did of course forget VI's 47. It's hard to get now, but I'd say the best of the lot. It's a shame none of the retailers could commission new runs. I understand VI still have the tooling, but opting for no more productions just for commercial reasons.

The hobbyco commissioned the 37 and 47 from Vi. They lost interest fast as the models ended up heavily discounted .

the issue seems to have been where they put the price point at and people were put off by the poor quality and hard to attach detail bits 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

My immediate reaction is that the curve on the roof grills at cantrail height is still too sharp. Really stands out and needs to be fixed or I’ll be sticking with my Bachmann models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, brushman47544 said:

My immediate reaction is that the curve on the roof grills at cantrail height is still too sharp. Really stands out and needs to be fixed or I’ll be sticking with my Bachmann models.

When first looking at any model if something stands out as not being correct then it to my mind is wrong , the curve of the roof being  one point , there  a few other errors for  which i will let others make their own minds up if they are wrong , just compare the picture of the model against a similar pose of the real thing ...

• Agree 1

• Administrators

Let's post the Heljan photo here in an effort to stop people starting new threads about it.

Heljan 47.jpg

For the moment, here's a teasing glimpse of our new OO gauge Class 47 - the first sample of which has just arrived for review. As always, please be aware that this is a hand assembled pre-production sample and not fully representative of the finished product.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Heljan have supplied a small selection of images of the new OO gauge Class 47 sample - this is a hand assembled prototype, not an indication of the finished article. A number of issues have been identified for correction and/or modification before it can be signed off for production. 

47_1.jpg

47_2.jpg

47_3.jpg

Thanks Phil. Any chance of knowing what they are before we all start commenting on errors that Heljan already has in hand? 

Edited by brushman47544

• Administrators
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Thanks Phil. Any chance of knowing what they are before we all start commenting on errors that Heljan already has in hand? 

If I knew, I would tell you but this is all Heljan provided. I doubt it would make much difference to the commenting anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/12/2020 at 18:35, brushman47544 said:

Immediate reactions:

Agree on the curve roof grill profile - should be more of a consistent arc as opposed to having a sudden sharp rounding to the edge.

Something around the bufferbeam strikes me as being off - the cowled edge doesn't appear to be prominent/raised enough and if anything should slightly overlap the front end?  The bufferbeam also appears a tad too shallow, but that maybe due to the aforementioned cowling being a tad undernourished...?

The headlight is also too flat.

The detail between the bogies looks quite nice though.

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Generally looks pretty good to me. The door kick-plate is too prominent, it looks to stick out by several scale inches.

Interesting to see brass used for lamp irons, they are missing the stop for the lamp - microstrip could solve that, so easily fixed.

Nice to see the headcode panel is an insert which would allow locos such as 47541 to be modelled accurately more easily: 47541 on Flickr.

Roy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The body looks like the later cut down cab version with additional bodywork pieces attached to backdate it...all very strange.  As I have mentioned before Lima had the correct idea by having the buffer beam cowling and body as 1 piece, the gap on this and the Bachmann 47 always catches my eye.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a pretty good class 47 to my eyes, but then, so does the Bachmann one!

I'm not going to lie, I'm excited about this purely because it increases the availability and variation of liveries and numbers, these will sit alongside my fleet of Bachmann models with no concerns from me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1