Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• RMweb Premium

So..........you've modified the brakes to JLTRT, despite demonstrating to me at Telford last year how good the Heljan ones were because they were springy and unbreakable?

I shall be having words next Sunday young man....... :nono:

Only joking Brian, but will be coming for a chat again.

Maybe Brian demonstrated the unbreakable brakes once too often? :)

There is nothing wrong with the springy Heljan brakes Jeff if you are going to run these models but I just got a bee in my bonnet saying to myself "I wonder what it would loo like with the JLTRT ones on?" so I just had to find out. Will they show much when painted? I will add the sand pipes later. This will be BLUE! D1071 I think.

Please do all stop by for a chat at Telford.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I bought at Telford was a PH Designs Rail Built Buffer Stop kit. Anyone that have seen me demonstrate with 6' of track on a table with no buffer stop will know why have at last invested in one, it would have been two bit C&L only had one. So here it is soldered onto a piece of Atlas set track. I will paint it black as most real ones are under the rust.

post-6766-0-01915500-1411323105.jpg

post-6766-0-09426400-1411323107.jpg

post-6766-0-74177600-1411323108.jpg

post-6766-0-61775400-1411323110.jpg

• Like 12

Well!

That isn't on the website, and when I asked about getting it done in 7mm, was quoted a high price for the artwork...which would remain the property of PHD.

I don't know.........

The image shown on the C+L website is for some reason that I do not know why showing the 4mm completed Rail Built Buffer Stop if you check back to Brian's posted images of the assembled 7mm model you can see that there are bolts show on both sides of the Webs.

I will contact C+L and make sure they are aware of the images they are displaying, they have only recently been added to there website and some consideration should be shown to C+L due to recent events at there shop.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Pete, so from what you said is it correct that the "nuts and bolts" are etched on the sheet and no addition seperate nuts and bolts are required?

Just trying to get it clear.

Looked on the site obviously, and I see they had a break in.......not a nice thing to happen to anyone of course, lets hope it doesn't hamper the shop/sales too much.

No, it's bad, there are some scummy folk about, sadly.

The one Brian built looks great, I was just surprised at the price for the etching only. Won't stop me having one, they are identical to the ones that USED TO be at Frodingham depot, (FH) I have a drawing with measurements in an old notebook somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

No, it's bad, there are some scummy folk about, sadly.

The one Brian built looks great, I was just surprised at the price for the etching only. Won't stop me having one, they are identical to the ones that USED TO be at Frodingham depot, (FH) I have a drawing with measurements in an old notebook somewhere.

Jeff if you still have the dimms why don't you just cut/file them out off some brass sheet?

If the nuts and bolts are etched on as details thats a good enough reason to consider the production etch instead though.

Yeah, my point exactly, I will be having some, more than one, but I STILL think the price is high considering what you get. I may try filing one up and use scale hardware bolts, see if it looks any better. The bolts as etched are a bit featureless.

Perhaps some manufacturers could set prices to sell more, rather than trying to clear the R&D costs with ten items? LOL.

Then maybe more folk would buy........

But what do I know?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, my point exactly, I will be having some, more than one, but I STILL think the price is high considering what you get. I may try filing one up and use scale hardware bolts, see if it looks any better. The bolts as etched are a bit featureless.

Perhaps some manufacturers could set prices to sell more, rather than trying to clear the R&D costs with ten items? LOL.

Then maybe more folk would buy........

But what do I know?

Now stay behind tonight and copy out 100 times............"This is 7mm not 4mm, what was I thinking?"

:)

HI JeffP,

Please do, make half a dozen. I'll buy one off you for a fiver, I'm sure others would too.  :angel:

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray, I think you would be lucky.......... :sungum:

As for the previous comment, I agree......but WHY does 7mm have to be so expensive?

I know all about the manufacturer needing to get back his R&D costs and make some profit after raw materials, packaging etc.

But I've HAD some etching done, so I have a reasonable idea as to how much it costs.

And I reckon if that bufferstop was £10 it would sell more and pay for itself just the same, plus more people would have them and be satisfied.

Hi Jeff,

I think I could imagine why this item (or others) could appear to be expensive, or why it could be half the price. It could be an interesting exercise, but I believe it would distract from the theme of this thread. Maybe we could start another one?

Best wishes,

Ray

Don't forget that C&L will probably have to add VAT to their products. I know my local model shop refused to sell some small manufacturers/garden shed manufacturers products as by the time he added his markup and VAT people would not buy them. I assume Pete Harvey wants make some money and C&L wants to make a living. Do C&L have a shop to keep going or do they work from home?

Anyway the buffers looking good now I am getting some paint on it.

Ray, I think you would be lucky.......... :sungum:

As for the previous comment, I agree......but WHY does 7mm have to be so expensive?

I know all about the manufacturer needing to get back his R&D costs and make some profit after raw materials, packaging etc.

But I've HAD some etching done, so I have a reasonable idea as to how much it costs.

And I reckon if that bufferstop was £10 it would sell more and pay for itself just the same, plus more people would have them and be satisfied.

There's a thread on the "future for 7mm" where that question would probably be more appropriate for...  18 pages so far, and at least 3 manufacturers have added input...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89875-the-future-for-7mm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although it looks like I haven't done much recently I have been beavering away at odd projects. One thing done recently was converting and weathering a Heljan class 31 to an ETH one for a friend. I painted the cab interior whilst I was at it and removed the front window molding and cut it into three windows . I filed the individual windows down a bit so as they fit better at the top when placed back into the body. Did the same with the headcode glazing so it sits inboard a bit. One thing I could not do though was to get a small diameter tube on the ETH sockets. It was driving me mad for half an hour before I gave up and used a piece of tube that's too big but at least it has something.

post-6766-0-02293200-1412774743.jpg

post-6766-0-48541300-1412774744.jpg

I have now finished my 4 Mousa Models Conflat L's at last. I have never known a little wagon take so long to make. I had to get Simon Thompson to make me 12 3D printed containers for these wagons which required painting and weathering before attaching to the wagons with the etched chains. I weathered it with Model Mates weathering paints that require you to varnish it after one colour application to seal it for the next colour. This all takes time as did soldering up 48 of those chains!

But in the end it's all been worth it as these are a very nice looking wagon behind my JLTRT class 25 just rattling down the main from Peak Forest?

post-6766-0-40446600-1412774735.jpg

post-6766-0-02432300-1412774737.jpg

post-6766-0-74855000-1412774739.jpg

post-6766-0-44761200-1412774741.jpg

• Like 17