Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I added the jumpers on one end now. The blue star ones are from JLTRT but I only had one set so the other end won't get done for a while. The waist level airpipes are old DJH ones I had in the spare box! The other connection on the front under the left-hand window was in the kit although it is a little on the large side I think. I won't be doing much more to this until I get all the parts to finish it.

post-6766-0-04400300-1400152435.jpg

post-6766-0-62149100-1400152437.jpg

Looking at my old pictures it looks like I will have to add some plasticard bits to build out the battery covers.

post-6766-0-02204700-1400152441.jpg

post-6766-0-69459800-1400152936.jpg

I have primed the Heljan class 40 conversion as well.

post-6766-0-59336100-1400152444.jpg

• Like 7

The mods to the Western make a real difference. It's amazing how little something has to be out to cause it to look quite wrong. I have an Easybuild Cravens 105 and a Hydra kit and the indicator boxes always bothered me as too small. Got a prototype photo out and yes they are about 2 or 3mm too short and they don't come far enough fown the cab front. I shall be modifying these as part of the build

Paul R

• Like 1

KESTREL???????????????????

If any model sold well in OO it was Falcon!!!

Come on, Heljan, you KNOW it makes sense.

Edited by JeffP

I could understand it with Cottage Industries but not with the likes of the big boys such as Heljan

Paul R

Actually, it being the other way round makes perfect sense.  Someone from a cottage industry would be producing something as they have an interest in it, so will know what they're looking at.  A larger company could be using a contract CAD technician, who is presented with a load of dimensions and photographs to create a 3D model from, but wouldn't necessarily know what they are looking at, let alone have an interest in it.

I know from my own experience that mistakes can creep in, but I've spotted most of them by looking closely at the 3d model, because I know and understand what I'm looking at.

I think, if I'm in pedant mode, Falcon carried four liveries.......

In OO, the first run of 1000 sold out in about six weeks. My local model shop ordered five and got none.

The second run sold out too..and they still change hands on ebay at over £100.

Time Heljan stopped listening to Tower, and started listening to enthusiasts...who are the buyers after all!

KESTREL???????????????????

If any model sold well in OO it was Falcon!!!

Come on, Heljan, you KNOW it makes sense.

Well whilst I agree with you think about it from their perspective. Kestrel was placed an 47 bogies to reduce weight in the latter part of its career. Heljan already has 7mm 47 bogies. Part of the development cost already covered.  I think like you that Falcon would sell in much greater numbers given its relatively longer life and the four liveries it carried - although put me down for a blue one!

The note says limited edition - that means a high cost loco and I doubt there would be the sort of demand that would be necessary to make a reasonable return. As you say 4mm sales ought to provide a clue

Paul R

Well whilst I agree with you think about it from their perspective. Kestrel was placed an 47 bogies to reduce weight in the latter part of its career. Heljan already has 7mm 47 bogies.

Paul R

Hi

Then again Heljan have also produced a class 31 which i believe are the right bogies for Falcon.

Ian

Hi

Then again Heljan have also produced a class 31 which i believe are the right bogies for Falcon.

Ian

Not quite. Right STYLE certainly, but the 31 wheelbase is 7'0" + 7'0", while Falcon's was 7'2" + 7'9"

Also, the 31, having a smaller carrying wheel in the centre of each bogie, (being A1A-A1A to Falcon's Co-Co), has the axlebox at a slightly low height.

Brian, 

Was the Motor Luggage Van you are building the same as the Battery vehicles which were converted to do maintenance work in tunnels?  They certainly look similar on the outside.

We used them at Cricklewood during the electrification of the Bed Pan line in the late 1970's early 80's.

Pete.

Brian

According to the new Tower catalogue Heljan are considering an O Gauge Kestral. Have you heard that from your sources?

Paul R

Kestral????????? - a centre headcode Class 37 would sell miles better + various others first.....IMHO....

Hi Brian,

I have really enjoyed your "Thumper' build. So much so that I took a sneaky trip to Alresford today and took several pics of their Hampshire 2 car unit. (I think it was originally a 3 car set, as there data panel states length over buffers as 199' 6".

I was unable to gain access to photograph the inside, so couldn't get any cab, engine room or passenger area photos.

I have to agree the inserts on the door windows are a must have. 

I’m hoping to purchase a two car kit, and would love to enhance the kit as you have with the extra detailing parts.

As with others on this thread, I have had no luck with DJH with obtaining parts, even though I had previously purchased a RTR 03 from them.

If you have time, I would be grateful if there could be a chance of you posting a list of parts and source of them? 

Many thanks,

Rich

• Like 1

Kestral????????? - a centre headcode Class 37 would sell miles better + various others first.....IMHO....

Agreed - But while I don't want to deprieve others of their wants, and any new Issue's (or promises of) of Loco's and Stock in RTR O Gauge is a bonus - How about a 73 - 50 & 56 - + the re-issue of the 20/37/47, the last two in an updated form - and that's just for starters  - Yeah, ok Bob, Dream on :banghead:

Do I need a Kestral or Falcon, No - Would I buy one if it was Issued ...... Err Let me think for a milli second, Yes

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

See, that's the point.

Tower and Heljan are looking at what they think people NEED, they should be looking at what people will BUY....

Who would have thought that so many people NEEDED 4mm Falcons? Not Heljan, as they limited it to 1000........then had to make another 1000........

Time they stopped listening to Tower, who are a dealer, and talked to enthusiasts and buyers.

Tower do seem to have a very high opinion of where they stand within the 7mm marketplace.

They keep saying that further production runs of the Ixion Hudswell Clark are likely, but Chris Klein has stated on this forum that further runs would not be cost effective.

I have made purchases from Tower Models on several occasions and find them to incredibly helpful and reliable.

However, perhaps they need to keep their opinions on what should be produced to private discussions between themselves and the manufacturers.