Class 503 EMU

Mirithehamster

just letting everyone know that the only surviving Class 503 EMU was moved from Covenrty to Margate the old Hornby site in January 2019 personally i think it should be on the Wirrel or Liverpool as it never operated in the south of the uk, space should be found somewhere under cover in the wirrel for it

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mirithehamster said:

i think it should be on the Wirrel or Liverpool

Which heritage railways or museums would that be then?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Mirithehamster said:

just letting everyone know that the only surviving Class 503 EMU was moved from Covenrty to Margate the old Hornby site in January 2019 personally i think it should be on the Wirrel or Liverpool as it never operated in the south of the uk, space should be found somewhere under cover in the wirrel for it

23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Which heritage railways or museums would that be then?

Wirral council once owned it, wanted to turn it into a cafe.

Sounds safer in Margate

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Mirithehamster said:

I agree. Wirral Council is a total disgrace. It was supposed to be going in the transport museum at Pacific Road. It's not a bus or tram though, so the bus spotters in charge didn't want to know.

Best not remind them they still own another item of motive power. Hopefully they've forgotten....

Unfortunately Liverpool Museums would rather waste money on whatever nonsense they are currently spending millions on rather than saving/restoring historical items they actually own.

It would have been fantastic to have had the LMS units in a restored Riverside station and transhipment sheds. They knocked those down. Restoring them would have cost a fraction of the price of the awful Museum Of Liverpool that has ruined the Pier Head. Most of the transport collection isn't on display and probably never will be again. Total waste.

There is a giant warehouse on the Dock Road that is like Indiana Jones. Full of everything from rockets to saddle tanks to the replica Liverpool & Manchester Railway carriages. Plenty of space in there. But they refuse to open it to the public. But at least they would have been undercover.

Jason

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I agree. Wirral Council is a total disgrace.

Best not remind them they still own another item of motive power. Hopefully they've forgotten....

Jason

Cecil Raikes ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of rolling stock is running “away from home”..

73s tonight will be taking the sleeper up to the highland capital.

This weekend a class 27 will be running in Kent, and a Western has lived in Lancashire for 40 years this year. I get to see a B1 in Clapham junction every tuesday.

Location is unimportant, a safe place is vital...

its not that long ago that a Merseyrail unit found an out door home on a wind swept field near Shap.. Margate is definitely better.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Wouldnt it be something if Hornbys Scanners surrounded it.

Below is the last time I saw a 502 on the mainline way back in 1988 (l cant remember when I last saw a 503)...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Wouldnt it be something if Hornbys Scanners surrounded it.

Below is the last time I saw a 502 on the mainline way back in 1988 (l cant remember when I last saw a 503)...

CAC516A7-DEE3-479A-B181-A19C0CFB2AD8.jpeg

Hi adb,

There is a body shell available for the 502 on Shapeways, a friend of mine has an N gauge 3 car set, not sure if there is one available for the 503 though.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lms/3d_printed_LMS-cl-502.htm

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

...not sure if there is one available for the 503 though.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lms/3d_printed_LMS-cl-502.htm 

Yes there is - just change the 502 in the link to a 503:

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lms/3d_printed_LMS-cl-503.htm

I've just got one to experiment with as my first try with a 3D printed shell. If successful, I'll make up the full unit.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Better that it is secure safe and dry storage in Margate, awaiting restoration, rather than rusting away and possibly vandalised, in the open somewhere else.   Just take a look at the images on the internet ("Railway Heritage Register Partnership - Carriage Survey") of the sole LMS Class 502 unit, which is now in safe storage in Burscough, Lancs, after some time in the open near the WCML at Tebay, Cumbria.

Paul Raven-Hill