The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

We're Doomed

didcot

I've just seen an advert for some tacky dating show. The young couple were debating whether or not chicken was a bird! Obviously missed that (chicken) nugget at school.

Is it any wonder that programs are dumbed down and repeat everything after the advert. Brain and attention span of a gold fish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In medieval times, Beaver was classed as a fish because it lived in water, which meant it was ok to eat on Fridays.  As for chickens being vegetables, they are pretty stupid even before their heads are cut off...

This possibly validates my view that McDonald's burgers are suitable for vegetarians, because they only contain trace elements of meat.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

In medieval times, Beaver was classed as a fish because it lived in water, which meant it was ok to eat on Fridays. 

I've heard this too, but with the explanation that the scaly tail was fishlike, which made it OK.

Edited by Bishop of Welchester
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

This possibly validates my view that McDonald's burgers are suitable for vegetarians, because they only contain trace elements of meat.

Would that even more meaty, sort of a homeopathic burger?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

In medieval times, Beaver was classed as a fish because it lived in water, which meant it was ok to eat on Fridays.  As for chickens being vegetables, they are pretty stupid even before their heads are cut off...

I once heard it suggested that there was more meat in McDonald's chips than their burgers, as they used to be cooked in fat...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Some clever-clogs will tell you that a tomato isn't a vegetable, it's a fruit.  But all fruits are vegetables anyway.  

Apart from the banana, which is apparently a herb..? 

Anyhoo, if mushrooms and other fungi are neither animal or vegetable, what's the vegan take? 

I'm a pseudo vegetarian, I only eat animals that don't eat meat. Except tuna.

And cod and huss, but I don't know if they're carnivorous fish, which probably makes me something of an intellectual heavyweight compared to the TV fodder under discussion.

didcot seems to have missed the cultural revolution that today's broadcast media brings us bread and circuses in the form of air time for sections of society to make 'normal' people feel better about themselves. 

Thus a parade of grossly overweight/unintelligent/privileged* vacuous morons are displayed for the purpose of satisfying the curiosity of nosey b*****s whose own lives are perceived as being "dull", purely because they lack the imagination, desire or determination to improve their lives via an engagement with the world beyond that from a TV screen.

Just saying, C6T. 

*delete as applicable 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Some clever-clogs will tell you that a tomato isn't a vegetable, it's a fruit.  But all fruits are vegetables anyway.  

I've decided a chocolate orange is a fruit, as it's an orange, right? Same goes for chocolate raisins, another of my 5-a-day :lol:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Vegans cannot eat figs, all figs contain a tiny wasp that can only exist within the fig and dies in there as part of it's lifecycle.

Bet it won't be a constipated wasp then!

I feel really sad about that wasp. How the #### does it have sexual intercour$e with another wasp to produce more wasps if it never goes out, or is it some sort of magic Wasp that does everything necessary itself?

Does it never go out for a blast around stinging people? Poor thing. What a bl00dy boring life, not unlike that of some humans. 

I have heard this before but, despite loving figs, both fresh off the tree or those dried things in the bags in shops, and checking them for corpses, I have yet to identify a wasp corpse in a Fig. I think it is fake news:rtfm:

H. Ornet

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bet it won't be a constipated wasp then!

I feel really sad about that wasp. How the #### does it have sexual intercour$e with another wasp to produce more wasps if it never goes out, or is it some sort of magic Wasp that does everything necessary itself?

Does it never go out for a blast around stinging people? Poor thing. What a bl00dy boring life, not unlike that of some humans. 

I have heard this before but, despite loving figs, both fresh off the tree or those dried things in the bags in shops, and checking them for corpses, I have yet to identify a wasp corpse in a Fig. I think it is fake news:rtfm:

H. Ornet

We thought it was a hoax too, but it's not, the fig absorbs it.   The queen hatches, leaves on fig, enters another and so it goes on, male workers fertilise and make the escape route.

Without the wasp there would be no figs as they also provide the pollen to the figs in order for them to ripen etc.

What a life....https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/is-it-true-there-are-dead-wasps-in-figs/

• Informative/Useful 3