AY Mod

Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

38 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

Sounds like a nightmare, how will I cover up all my dodgy lining now!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

This is an interesting concept and the sci-fi/fantasy model market is huge. Unfortunately standards in that market can be exceptionally high with prices to match and it seems to be driven by products linked to films, games and books. I often visit the Forbidden Planet shop near Covent Garden and some of the stuff they sell is really quite remarkable. I am not sure sticking some fantasy lip stick on old tat will cut it in that world, especially with no link to a franchise.

• Like 3

So things to consider. In the Great Model Railway Challenge normal people who'd talk to me about it, knowing my interest in trains, would always talk about the more "interesting" and unconventional layouts made on the show. The more realistic ones were rarely talked about and boy howdy, does everyone have a slight bug bear with how they treated the Loco Ladies for their brilliant crochetted trees which were apparently in support of Breast Cancer UK.

Heck, even my now dearly departed mother watched it with me, and once shushed me while we watched it one night! Others close to me enjoyed watching it and have zero interest in railways whatsoever and I've known this. But they all liked the show. Its cheesyness appealed and anything that wasn't boring realism was far more interesting to general audiences than the rest of us.

The other thing to consider is that these people are not going to be like Edwardian, or Laurie and other many great modellers on this forum. Buying something, and then promptly pulling it apart to modify it is an anathema to a lot of people and daunting to those who want to try it anyway.

Hornby's doing the right thing by getting Laurie on board and making them look a bit like the stuff that was seen on the Great Model Railway Challenge and the stuff which "stuck" in people's minds who aren't railway modellers.

As Laurie's noted, he's had to do this within confines related, namely that he's had to use existing products on the cheaper end of the scale of Hornby's range due to the large expense involved in any new tooling (I beleive £100k minimum?) and Hornby will have been well aware of their 2012 Olympics flop and likely considered any such moves with a new range accordingly.

You also see this in other matters of Hornby's actions with the rest of their range. A lot of the 2020 celebratory products are very limited in number and priced accordingly, with only "sure bets" such as the Rocket getting a limited special edition and a more wider release.

This is because 2017's financials still shows significant loss to Hornby and while Simon Kohler has said Hornby's in "a better position" it's not out of the woods yet and likely still a few years from posting profits. Best way to do that? A cheap brand revival which appeals outside of its core market without breaking the bank.

Though as a suggestion, making a version of the Singles painted in something "steampunky" livery for a large sprocket or tea company might be a good idea.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". It's based on an alternate history where cleanliness was not merely next to godliness, but far surpassed it, with the result that everything - absolutely everything - was kept completely spotless at all times

"Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett has a pretty realistically done, Steampunk/Fantasy railway operation in the "Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway Company", so-named because the wife of the head of the company thought it sounded better, and the air of cleanliness would attract more patronage :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Din said:

So things to consider. In the Great Model Railway Challenge normal people who'd talk to me about it, knowing my interest in trains, would always talk about the more "interesting" and unconventional layouts made on the show. The more realistic ones were rarely talked about and boy howdy, does everyone have a slight bug bear with how they treated the Loco Ladies for their brilliant crochetted trees which were apparently in support of Breast Cancer UK.

O/T but I agree with that, I thought the trees were genius and felt it was very unfair how they were dismissed so quickly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 11/02/2020 at 13:25, MarkSG said:

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". It's based on an alternate history where cleanliness was not merely next to godliness, but far surpassed it, with the result that everything - absolutely everything - was kept completely spotless at all times. Thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? - if it wasn't still white, someone was on the carpet...

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

O/T but I agree with that, I thought the trees were genius and felt it was very unfair how they were dismissed so quickly.

They felt vindicated with the amount of public support they were getting with their layout on display at Warley. Lots of people said the same to them, apparently.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2020 at 23:55, MarkSG said:

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". ….thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

I was just thinking along those lines this week.  I have some weathered stock but generally I prefer the pristine look.  On the other hand I have seriously overdone the filth on the track. :(

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? 

(Sir) William Goodman, Chief engineer and General Manager of Adelaide South Australia's Municipal Tramways Trust 1907-1950) is said to have lined up and inspected  drivers and conductors military fashion each day to ensure that their attire was immaculate. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 23:18, KymN said:

(Sir) William Goodman, Chief engineer and General Manager of Adelaide South Australia's Municipal Tramways Trust 1907-1950) is said to have lined up and inspected  drivers and conductors military fashion each day to ensure that their attire was immaculate. 

Quite right too!

On 17/02/2020 at 11:22, Compound2632 said:

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? - if it wasn't still white, someone was on the carpet...

Doesnt the Orient express check that individual screws on the panelling are set to perfect horizontal ?

I read somewhere that at Crewe the practice was to line up the bolt heads even at the risk of stripping the thread. I can't quite decide if that's the case here:

697054478_LNWRNo.1918Renownfrontend.jpg.cd556cddc0ef9905536b64f52222c706.jpg

21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I read somewhere that at Crewe the practice was to line up the bolt heads even at the risk of stripping the thread

And then whitewash all the coal stacks!

7 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Whoever wrote that article doesn't really understand what "patented" means.

I’m afraid that’s just one example of Auntie’s declining editorial standards. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

That's because it's one of the few items not to mention the bloody coronavirus.

boringboringboring.png

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Posted (edited)
On 11/02/2020 at 13:03, HonestTom said:

Edited by tomparryharry
Reply deleted

I've read some of the many pages on this. Can't see it has any real relevance to Railway Modelling. If it makes a positive contribution to the Hornby balance sheet then good, otherwise it has a whiff of those London Olympics rubbish figures about it. How much of Hornby's limited manufacturing capacity is to be taken up with this? Also fully agree with those who commented on the cheapening of the Bassett-Lowke brand. Certainly not for me; cobblers should stick to their last, and cobblers is what this lot is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

How much of Hornby's limited manufacturing capacity is to be taken up with this?

Not much, move on.

No need for the bold text really; it's not anything anyone else hasn't already said so there's no need for emphasis.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

These arrived the other day  as something different and imaginative they do hit the mark.

They actually inspired me to build my own from bits from my scrap box and an old class 06. I like the way they let your imagination run wild. 

F19B9727-5449-4C25-A526-AC273A9E6A1F.jpeg.a8192a7bdc5e9a89abba1bfda5a78792.jpeg1469959E-D2EB-455A-AAF5-ED195A08388F.jpeg.26b6c3460a92978602adfe5031da427c.jpeg8D37D955-9E74-4C56-B9EB-9C3D6030A278.jpeg.f131a2f8fc7e3008319cd8298f7c8184.jpegB47C3A10-3E1B-49F0-A9D3-831971A43F8C.jpeg.22962c06f5879a07b1591d8fb8f2dd76.jpegC725C0B3-BD6B-46D6-91E8-1AD79A3B4C98.jpeg.5153f086f6718ea7257138befc95f342.jpeg

• Like 3

On 28/02/2020 at 19:37, adb968008 said:

Doesnt the Orient express check that individual screws on the panelling are set to perfect horizontal ?

So do I - so what? It's called OCD.

John Isherwood.

OCD is important.

Glad to see amongst all that er... detail... that the 06 has retained vacuum brakes.

its the little things that make it special..

:rolleyes:

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2