Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you not notice it’s the same picture what you see is not what you get every time in advertising

Nothing new there. The APT-P publicity pictures were retouched with the later livery.

TSOTTCBlack.jpg

TSOTTCYellow.jpg

Edited by APT-P
  • Like 2

Not really about the Hornby APT-P, but almost about the real thing......

Tomorrow I'll be leaving home around 7 pm to head north to Glasgow to ride the nearest equivalent to the P-Train, Avanti West Coast's Pendolino, on the 40th Anniversary of the P-Train's first passenger carrying run  the 7th December 1981.

I did it 10 years ago too, and it'll be interesting to see how it compares with the major changes in operators and rolling stock in the interim.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Tomorrow I'll be leaving home around 7 pm to head north to Glasgow to ride the nearest equivalent to the P-Train, Avanti West Coast's Pendolino, on the 40th Anniversary of the P-Train's first passenger carrying run  the 7th December 1981.

Be sure to get a window seat on the West-hand-side of the train, and give the original a birthday wave just North of Crewe station.

Because the above sentence is a perfectly normal thing to say, not in the slightest bit strange.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you not notice it’s the same picture with just the windows lightened and tinted to “imaginate” lighting….what you see is not what you get every time in advertising ;)

Yes I did notice it's the same picture with the second just with added imaginate lighting! :lol: I know about advertising I just think that I am expecting them all to be like the above. As they do differ to the one on the Hornby website. Perhaps my expectations are too high?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2021 at 10:12, boxbrownie said:

.what you see is not what you get every time in advertising ;)

A bit like 31147 "pictures" that didn't show the ETH connectors .

Having been mis-lead with the GBRf 50, I now wait for non-Hornby pics before deciding upon a purchase of theirs. If that means I miss out, then so be it.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

No, no, NO, NO! :nono:

BR DIDN'T sell the APT-P tilt technology to FIAT, and I'm getting fed up with having to tell people that!

FIAT didn't want or need BR's tech, they already had their own tilt systems working quite well than you, and even in service at that time. They'd built a tilting test car just after we'd commissioned POP-Train and before E-Train too. The current Class 390s use a wholly FIAT tilt system, which are electric rather than hydraulic, and use a totally different control method. The Super Voyagers, on the other hand, DO use APT-P type tilt systems as they came via Bombardier, who actually did buy that bit of BR.

This problem keeps coming up because of the way BR was privatised, with different parts of it going to different commercial groups.

Thanks Mrs. Thatcher, you're STILL giving me grief after all this time!

Oh yes, I did manage to do the 40th Anniversary run yesterday, and it was pretty, but still slower than in 1981......

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

40 years !   I do feel old as it seems not long ago . I was at College in Glasgow and commuted into Central daily on a 303/126 . You saw plenty of the APT at Shields Road Depot . Didnt see it leave but I remember the day . It was also a bitterly cold winter  and as said in the excerpt you do wonder why they chose December as inaugral run .

Its the 80 th anniversary of Pearl Harbour  a date that will live in infamy !  Back in 1981 that seemed like ancient history and yet 40 years on the APT seems like yesterday. Eeek !

• Like 5

BR itself didn't really chose that day to start the APT service, certainly not the APT team themselves. It was a politically motivated date because the Treasury wanted to see some return on its money.

This is the same Treasury that refused funding for five development trains, and yet they still expected the development programme to work with the three trains they did approve.

Finance people NEVER understand engineering and never want to.............. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, lyneux said:

I blame the project managers for claiming it can be done more quickly…

By that time 'they' were the CM&EE and they had no idea what they were letting themselves in for, and only transferred the APT Design staff over, and left all the Development people back in R&D. Most of us left as a result, leaving no development staff in BR with any relevant experience. 

After that it was bound to take longer than they intended, a LOT longer. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2021 at 10:51, Mr_Tilt said:

BR itself didn't really chose that day to start the APT service, certainly not the APT team themselves. It was a politically motivated date because the Treasury wanted to see some return on its money.

This is the same Treasury that refused funding for five development trains, and yet they still expected the development programme to work with the three trains they did approve.

Finance people NEVER understand engineering and never want to.............. 

definition of minimum viable product.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/12/2021 at 23:05, lyneux said:

An old meme but spot on…

image.jpeg.0220f8475a821d2851a2322efcdeca1a.jpeg

Ok, it’s software not trains but I think it still applies!

Guy

Sums up my 40 years of RF hardware product design "career" lol.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

IMX the finance people have forgotten the word "viable" in there. They would ship an empty box if they could get away with it...

That reminds me of a story, about 7 years back our company had an interesting staff exit.

The US team requested the laptop to be securely wrapped and sent to them.

Such was their obsession, they ups overnight freighted an empty box from the US to London, containing bubble wrap and tape. They even insured the empty box for $3k, at which UPS sent a customs notice for it.

We returned the laptop and submitted the customs bill to finance who had a mild heart attack to say the least, especially as their was another for its return trip to the US.

• Funny 4