New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, I do have something to add to my list of unnecessarily unpleasant experiences that I never wish to repeat; O level Physics, Norovirus, James Cameron's Titanic. and, now, fitting the couplings to the Hornby Rocket set.

But, I admit, it was grand finally to run the set as a train.

IMG_7921.JPG.268c01595816142d122c3a37adfb98e0.JPG

Coming back on track, the couplings become easier to fit after you have done it a few times as the slots get larger with wear.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

So it is advisable to drill them out initially a bit like the slots for brake gear and rod assemblies on other models? 

Yep, I drilled the holes out slightly on my coupling bars so that they’re a drop on fit, no issues to report 

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Careful that could be construed as modelling!

Modelling is a conscious passtime, in most cases by the more creative 

Fiddling with anything new is just male instinct.

:)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Has anybody weathered one yet?

7 minutes ago, Matt35027 said:

Has anybody repainted one into BR livery yet? :P

Last time I saw Rocket, at the Science Museum some years ago, it was in weathered unlined BR black.

But then this isn't a model of Rocket, it's a model of one of the replicas, as I keep banging on.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But then this isn't a model of Rocket, it's a model of one of the replicas, as I keep banging on.

Well with a couple of deft cuts and making good the boiler top you’d have an accurate model OF Rocket from the trials to opening ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Needs more than that - the originals chimney is higher than the replicas

Ah but the working replica has Carried a full height and shortened chimney. Several pics with full height, as the model and shortened ;)

short

Stephenson's Rocket Replica 23rd June 2019 Tyseley Loco Works Open Weekend

Tall

Copyright John King

Rocket

7FAB7B1F-681C-4850-83A7-7F3557D157DF.jpeg.1ddfd1b30e62d958dec90542ec229afe.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

What is the function of the copper pipe up the side of the chimney?

Hi Stephen,

It is part of the pressure gauge apparatus. At the top of the pipe flat plate with a scale marked upon it with a pointer that indicates the pressure.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

It is part of the pressure gauge apparatus. At the top of the pipe flat plate with a scale marked upon it with a pointer that indicates the pressure.

Thanks. That explains the U-bend at the bottom - presumably there's an incompressible fluid in there, mercury in the original, something else in the replica?

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks. That explains the U-bend at the bottom - presumably there's an incompressible fluid in there, mercury in the original, something else in the replica?

I'm not sure how it works but bearing in mind the boiler is pressed to 50lb a mercury filled pipe would seem to be reasonable.

I would guess a piston and spring arrangement at the top of the pipe might be prone to sticking and giving a false reading.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

I'm not sure how it works but bearing in mind the boiler is pressed to 50lb a mercury filled pipe would seem to be reasonable.

I would guess a piston and spring arrangement at the top of the pipe might be prone to sticking and giving a false reading.

Just as well the Bourdon gauge came along (1849) before locomotive boiler pressures got much higher!

• Agree 2