The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Trek: Picard

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Never mind Jeri Tyan turning 52 - whatever has happened to 'Seven-of-Nine'?

Regards,

Alex.

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

She was always a 9 of 9 to me :P

For marks out of 10, I'd give her 1...........:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to copy it.  That's just lack of imagination, which seems to be quite common in the film and TV industry these days.  (Witness the number of remakes of films that were perfectly good the first time round and which, despite modern visual effects and a contemporary "hook" to the story, hardly ever turn out anywhere near as good as the original, let alone better.)

The reboot Star Trek movies themselves are guilty of this.

In the first one they use an incredibly clever plot device to tell the audience, what ever went before changes now. Brilliant! 

But they then get the most English fella in the world to play Khan Noonian Singh. Wtf!

Not only does it take a dump on the canon, it's not worthy to lick the boots of one of the best series set-up and return to screen stories ever. Arguably either Shatner or Montalban's best work to boot! 

Fume! C6T. 

• Agree 1

On 25/02/2020 at 11:39, Classsix T said:

The reboot Star Trek movies themselves are guilty of this.

Ironically, I find the one that holds up best is Beyond because it is a completely original story and the actors had fully grown into their characters by this point. I may be burned for heresy but I prefer Pine's Kirk in this film to Shatner's). Simon Pegg's writing is also pretty good. The only letdown was the under-developed villain. Such a waste of Idris Elba.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Ironically, I find the one that holds up best is Beyond because it is a completely original story and the actors had fully grown into their characters by this point. I may be burned for heresy but I prefer Pine's Kirk in this film to Shatner's). Simon Pegg's writing is also pretty good. The only letdown was the under-developed villain. Such a waste of Idris Elba.

The one I know the least about! The first reboot I thought was OK-ish on a first viewing, although very much required turning the brain off. Nothing I've heard or seen about Into Darkness sounds good at all, but I've heard a few good things about Beyond so should probably get around to watching it at some point.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 11:39, Classsix T said:

But they then get the most English fella in the world to play Khan Noonian Singh. ...

Fume! C6T. 

I can't remember who played Singh in the original film but IIRC he had a very strong American accent?

I thought Into Darkness was very good, Beyond was cheesy.

15 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I can't remember who played Singh in the original film but IIRC he had a very strong American accent?

I thought Into Darkness was very good, Beyond was cheesy.

Ricardo Montalban, hence me mentioning his name, who at least approached looking like a high caste fellow of the sub continent regardless of accent.

Maybe Mr. Cumberbatch should have done that borderline racist wobbly head thing...

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

42 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ricardo Montalban, hence me mentioning his name, who at least approached looking like a high caste fellow of the sub continent regardless of accent.

As stated in the Wiki article linked above, Kahn Noonien Singh was a genetically engineered superhuman.  I think that allows a lot of latitude in the physical characteristics of the actor who plays the character, regardless of the name.  (To my mind, in the film, he looked more like Conan the Barbarian than "a high-caste fellow of the subcontinent".)

You also referenced the "incredibly clever plot device to tell the audience, what ever went before changes now".  So that let them off any obligation to stick religiously to the look & feel of the original series, or the previous films.

TBH I never got the love for Montalban's performances as Singh in Space Seed and TWOK: to my mind he was almost the epitome of the type of over-the-top, scenery-chewing baddie that abounded on US TV in the 1960s and 1970s, no better than the obvious (because they showed you at the start of each show) "one wot done it" in every episode of Columbo, ever.

On top of all that, Into Darkness did come out not long after the peak of the "cast Brits as baddies" phase in US film-making, which may have influenced the casting.

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Riccardo Montalban was Mexican.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Maybe Mr. Cumberbatch should have done that borderline racist wobbly head thing...

I have a sneaky feeling Ricardo Montalban did Space Seed in brownface.

• Agree 1

On 27/02/2020 at 16:57, 30801 said:

I have a sneaky feeling Ricardo Montalban did Space Seed in brownface.

I highly suspect that dancing bird didn't have green skin either. Woke vegetable growing giants are furious these days...

I jest, natch, but in 1967 hardly the worst crime.

Mr. Stubbs; whatever floats yer boat sweetheart. Thanks for pointing out in bold my unforgivable from memory vowel error (whilst persisting on spelling the actor's name incorrectly mind you). I'd look such a plank had you not. Or people just, like, get on with it.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I will never forgive Cumberbatch for his truly heinous borderline character assassination of Alan Turing in the Imitation Game. That the film got so many glowing reviews from critics says a lot about critics, one of the worst films I have ever seen. And he wasn't anything like as good as Montalban's Khan, none of the more sympathetic side. 

• Agree 3

Discussing Khan.... 

In Carey Wilber's original draft of "Space Seed", the character that ultimately became Khan was of Scandinavian ethnicity and named Harold Erickson, and the backstory was slightly different in that he was placed in stasis aboard the Botany Bay as a means of getting rid of prisoners during an overpopulated era of Earth's history. Gene L. 's rewrites then transformed the character into Ragnar Thorwald, the genetically-enhanced leader of the "First World Tyranny", who hides behind the pseudonym John Erickson.

The casting of Ricardo Montalban as Khan prompted the writers to change the character's name to Sabahl Khan Noonien, after Kim Noonien Wang, a friend of Gene Roddenberry during the Second World War. Roddenberry had lost touch with him and hoped that his friend would see his name on television and contact him. (This was also the origin of the name of Noonian Soong.) NBC suggested changing the character's name to Govin Bahadur Singh, due to the racial implications of the name "Khan", but Roddenberry insisted on keeping Khan and Noonien.

"John Harrison" would be a partial reuse of the original character concept for Branglbert Cucumber's portrayal of the character as his pseudonym. They kept "Khan" because actually making an original idea or concept escapes the lazy hacks they hire on for the films and shows.

The one thing I am genuinely enjoying about Picard is it's finally giving the Borg the budget to make their ships outright creepy which the soft lighting and corridors just couldn't quite give in Voyager and the movies. 

EDIT: Also, every time they screw with a core character's being (7 of 9 turning into Anne Oakley IN SPACE) or randomly kill them off (Hue, Maddox) I can feel Alex Kurtzman's sticky, angry fingers because nobody likes or remembers any of the characters in his own awful, awful take on Star Trek.

Edited by Din
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

@Din resistance is futile - you will be assimilated ;)

Hugh is still very much alive - in flashback Seven put Icheb out of his misery after Bjezel's minion's had ripped out his Borg implants (Seven has his cortical implant) - hence sending Seven down her very dark path..

I'd be more worried about the Artefact re-activating, after Locutus (Picard) paid it a visit..

.. and what the Sun-glass wearing Commodore O* did to Agnes Jurati to make her kill Maddox..

*Vulcan's don't need sun-glasses (was established in Operation Annihilate - they have an additional eyelid) - however that's from the prime universe...

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

*Vulcan's don't need sun-glasses (was established in Operation Annihilate - they have an additional eyelid) - however that's from the prime universe...

They do if it’s a fashion statement :lol:

• RMweb Premium

This is the first Trek material I have really enjoyed for a long time. So far it is keeping viewers on their toes and not just spoon feeding another formulaic rehash of ideas they have already done to death. And the darker, grittier feel is working well. The Star Trek franchise became really devalued by over use and some rather mediocre material but I like this. I think it is much better than the reboot movies.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 01/03/2020 at 22:03, toboldlygo said:

and what the Sun-glass wearing Commodore O* did to Agnes Jurati to make her kill Maddox..

The Jurati character is a seriously ambiguous one. It will be interesting to see how the plot plays out.

So far I think it's very good with only one pantomime villain and that's kept mostly under control

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Growing up on TNG, I’ve been enjoying Picard so far, although it suffers from sloppy writing in places and I’m not sure about this sudden & pointless need to kill off old characters like Maddox, Icheb & Hugh. I’m kinda worried about Seven now, having seen the preview for episode 8! 

I am glad they moved forward in time beyond the end of Voyager & Nemesis. Although Enterprise improved vastly in its last season it did feel a little like Star Trek was disappearing up its own history, and the less said about Discovery the better. 

My favourite ST series was DS9, and that probably why I find myself drawn more towards series like Ron Moore’s Battlestar Galactica reboot and most recently ‘The Expanse’. In fact, The Expanse is probably the best Sci-fi in the last decade, getting better with each series and it baffles me that it doesn’t get more coverage. 

It will be interesting to see where they go with Picard in the next series. We’re still missing some pretty big cameos. Where’s Beverley these days? Is Worf still Federation ambassador to Kronos? What’s Geordi doing since the attack on Mars? And where is the Enterprise? 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I gather that The Expanse is available on Amazon Prime.

Cheers

And I enjoyed it.

Picard will have Whoopi Goldberg in Season 2

• Like 1