Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter

If the Kadee wasn't so obvious on 97406 / 40135 (4th from top) it would be quite hard to pick as a model.  The rest are at least up to the current standards but that one made me look three times .....

Sterling work.

Thanks Rick,

I spent a bit of time on 97406 I had some good pics so tried to weather it as it was in it's last few months in service.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Great photos of some excellent models, spot on with the details.  I think the weathering on Aureol is just superb..... I can only hope to get something close with 118 :)

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Thought you might like the class 40 pics. I might have mentioned that Aureol is a Lima body, it was painted nearly 20 years ago now it wasn't weathered straight away though as I wasn't happy with the lima window frames. I think it was a modelrail article that brought Aureol out of it's box, I showed a great pic of the loco. I think I had the Craftsman etched window on in a week and painted and weathered the week after that. It has since had a Bachmann chassis fitted so runs really well.

I still want to do one more class 40. 40060 which I only saw once but it was one of the last in service and has a centre headcode.

Your 40118 looks superb as does you class 20. I have a video on the class 40s which shows 118 on a short passenger late in 84 it's a great bit of footage.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Stunning pics Peter, your lighting is spot on and looks so natural.

Thanks Andy, 

The lighting on the newer part of the layout looks better to me so I might have to try and sort the other side of the garage. I could also play with the colour  settings on the camera.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I still want to do one more class 40. 40060 which I only saw once but it was one of the last in service and has a centre headcode.

Your 40118 looks superb as does you class 20. I have a video on the class 40s which shows 118 on a short passenger late in 84 it's a great bit of footage.

Hi Peter,

Ha, I have another JLTRT on order... and guess which one it is going to be?   :D

Thanks for the compliments on 40118 and the 20.  They are coming together now... albeit slowly :(   I'd like to see the footage of 118, it was always a great loco and became my favourite after a trip from Leeds to Llandudno midweek with very few enthusiasts on!!!  The return journey saw us leaving Man Vic at night and the sight and sound was awesome up Miles Platting. I managed a few thousand miles behind that loco before she was scrapped.

The latest pics are great of the grids... love how the rear cab door is left open.  Superb. Please keep posting!!!!

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Thanks Mate,

The MGRs are what I have been working on in the last few weeks. I actually lowered them and fitted new wheels and Kadee's last year. I thought it was about time time I weathered them.

Cheers Peter.

I live in Derbyshire so my love of trains grew on class 56 with MGRs running from Chesterfield pits to power station in the Aire valley .what a great job you have done on the wagons and the photo of the grid with said wagons is as good as any of your others . keep em coming !!!

• Like 2

Hi Pete,

Just catching up with your thread, the Hope St to Penmaemawr was a Friday only train if my memory is correct. When it used to return around 1900hrs if I was on late turn at Colwyn Bay SB it would always get a signal check at my home signal either on purpose :whistle: or on block to another train, which would mean a rather loud noise from the pair of 37s! 

There was another Hope St working from Penmaenmawr, think it was the loco off 4D11 Man Vic to Bangor Papers, loco would rtn to the Junction LE for a morning trip working, but on a Wednesday morning it would return to Penmaemawr Yard around 0430 to work to Hope St on a train of chippins. If the loco was a Rat you could guarantee lots of sparks & wheel burn especially if it was wet!!! 

Stunning photos as usual....

cheers

Stu

• Like 1

More stunning photo's Peter. Have to agree with Cav's statement about the picture of the 33. If it had been a bagpipe it would be even more believable as obviously they have buckeyes which would make the Kadee unnoticeable. Having got one of Cav's masterpieces myself that comment was high praise indeed from another master of weathering.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Peter,

Ha, I have another JLTRT on order... and guess which one it is going to be?   :D

Thanks for the compliments on 40118 and the 20.  They are coming together now... albeit slowly :(   I'd like to see the footage of 118, it was always a great loco and became my favourite after a trip from Leeds to Llandudno midweek with very few enthusiasts on!!!  The return journey saw us leaving Man Vic at night and the sight and sound was awesome up Miles Platting. I managed a few thousand miles behind that loco before she was scrapped.

The latest pics are great of the grids... love how the rear cab door is left open.  Superb. Please keep posting!!!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

40060 should be a beast when you get that started. The video with the 118 footage is by Locomaster profiles. The Class 40 story. I did look for it on youtube, you can probably get the CD of the class 40 Story somewhere. 

Wish I had a few for haulage back in the day though being stuck down South probably didn't help.

Cheers Peter.

Just been catching up on the latest developments Peter, some very impressive looking photos many of which it is difficult to tell it is a model.

Thanks Rob,

I still have plenty of things to do but seem to have lost a bit of motivation at the moment. I am sat watching TV when I should be out in the garage.

Cheers Peter.

I live in Derbyshire so my love of trains grew on class 56 with MGRs running from Chesterfield pits to power station in the Aire valley .what a great job you have done on the wagons and the photo of the grid with said wagons is as good as any of your others . keep em coming !!!

Thanks again, I am not 100% happy with the insides of the wagons but they will do for now glad you like them though you would have seen a few over the years. I went to Chesterfield a few times always a few MGRs about plus a few other freights.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Just catching up with your thread, the Hope St to Penmaemawr was a Friday only train if my memory is correct. When it used to return around 1900hrs if I was on late turn at Colwyn Bay SB it would always get a signal check at my home signal either on purpose :whistle: or on block to another train, which would mean a rather loud noise from the pair of 37s! 

There was another Hope St working from Penmaenmawr, think it was the loco off 4D11 Man Vic to Bangor Papers, loco would rtn to the Junction LE for a morning trip working, but on a Wednesday morning it would return to Penmaemawr Yard around 0430 to work to Hope St on a train of chippins. If the loco was a Rat you could guarantee lots of sparks & wheel burn especially if it was wet!!! 

Stunning photos as usual....

cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the info great story, The power of the signalman ay. I was trained on the groundframe at Eastleigh depot, it was certainly better pulling levers than down on the ground being a shunter. I think I have mentioned this before but on one night shift I had given the panel the release for a LE and had set the road for the fuel point, I had just started to doze off when the sky lit up  I stood up and looked out of the window just in time to see another light show, it turned out to be a Dutch liv class 37 rounding the corner with it ploughs touching the juice rail every now and then. Happy days.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

This is the best model picture I have ever seen I think. If it wasn't for the kadee I'd be convinced it was a prototype shot.

attachicon.gifpost-7022-0-86852000-1458993907.jpg

Thanks Cav,

I might have to try another shot with the Kadee's removed. A nice banger blue class 47 may be. I know you like your class 47s.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

More stunning photo's Peter. Have to agree with Cav's statement about the picture of the 33. If it had been a bagpipe it would be even more believable as obviously they have buckeyes which would make the Kadee unnoticeable. Having got one of Cav's masterpieces myself that comment was high praise indeed from another master of weathering.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

A 33/1 could work I do have one, they were the best sounding ones in my opinion plenty of thrash. As far as weathering goes I think Cav and myself have a similar outlook on the subject, one of which is not to cake the loco in crud and to look at the real thing and copy how the weathering actually builds up.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, in answer to your question at the BRMA meeting yesterday, class 143s first entered service in 1985, with 143 001 to 019 in Provincial livery similar to that applied to the class 142s. The Realtrack model has not, as yet, been offered in Provincial livery. So they were in service a little earlier than we thought but still at the tail end of your chosen modelling period.