Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

They should have thought about doing the S3/6 as well as it could have made use of some of the components they'd already tooled up for with the smaller loco.

I think they didn’t as from memory Märklín came out with one around then in G1 live steam. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I am suffering from modelling burn out. 

I spent most of this evening looking at the pile of projects and generally planning but not doing. 

A total of 4 vans done and I'm done. 

A raft of night shifts are on the horizon so perhaps lack of awakeness, necessitating a break, may kick me back into action, or not.  

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

41FAD0FE-3D70-4A62-99CC-5BC169795960.jpeg.83d9e304ee4dc991231b5cd6c3225967.jpeg

Douglas

:laugh: :laugh: :clapping::clapping:

Absolutely love it - whoever came up with that one is a genius, who clearly knows their stuff - Bear is most firmly in the "Non-Frizzante" camp...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Water is a tricky thing.

Avoiding the fizz is relatively easy.

Avoiding it tasting  like old socks and sulphur is a far riskier operation.

Andy

Who likes his water to taste like water, I.e of nothing much in particular 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

I think I am suffering from modelling burn out. 

I spent most of this evening looking at the pile of projects and generally planning but not doing. 

A total of 4 vans done and I'm done. 

A raft of night shifts are on the horizon so perhaps lack of awakeness, necessitating a break, may kick me back into action, or not.  

Andy

I've been like this all winter, since the cold weather arrived late December anyway, for both modelling and my bikes, the engine of one is half stripped and I just have no incentive to get on with it.   Mojo is only just beginning to come back with the arrival of a Judith Edge loco kit, but that is still only getting a coat of looking at - it is uncharted territory for me, only having once previously made a brass kit two thirds of a lifetime ago.

• Friendly/supportive 9

For me,  I think,  a case of too many other things on the go that have to be done and models are a nice to have time to do. But when I have time, the other must do things play on  my mind.

Result, neither get done  which makes it worse. 

Night shifts mean the days are a write off, so I can draw a line under the impasse and then I can start the procrastination afresh. Or not I hope

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I think that there may be an algorithm at work on RMW as the adverts I'm getting now include a supplier of aircraft parts and spares. I'm a bit worried by the ones for womens' underwear though.....

I quite like fizzy water in hot weather and often drink it when we are at our friend's place in Spain, not that we've been there recently and probably won't be for a while yet. I'm not a fan of sweet fizzy drinks though, nor of the stuff that often masquerades as beer in some foreign parts.

Alothough not as prolonged as some of our correspondents, I sometimes find that my modelling mojo has departed elsewhere for a while and from deep analysis (AKA the thought strikes me) it is quite possibly when I am faced with a modelling problem that I'm not looking forward to dealing with. Sometimes the mojo finds its way back home of its own accord but occasionally I have to deliberately kick start it by making myself get on with things. Whatever the case, I'm always glad in the end that I've got back into it so I hope that those afflicted recover their motivation.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Snip<

Although not as prolonged as some of our correspondents, I sometimes find that my modelling mojo has departed elsewhere for a while and from deep analysis (AKA the thought strikes me) it is quite possibly when I am faced with a modelling problem that I'm not looking forward to dealing with. /snip<

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

Without a doubt, Dave.  For the layout I need to make a warehouse of some kind - I don't 'do' buildings well!  For the bike, a full engine strip down to splitting the crankcases, to replace a 40p oil seal.....aaarg!  Add in cold damp garage (layout is in there too) and I'm in here instead!

Edit:  I suppose adding in to that coping with the fallout from having to close the business mainly due to Peco's inability to supply us with the necessary, thanks to Covid hasn't helped.  Just got the final dissolution documents this morning.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, SM42 said:

For me,  I think,  a case of too many other things on the go that have to be done and models are a nice to have time to do. But when I have time, the other must do things play on  my mind.

Result, neither get done  which makes it worse. 

Night shifts mean the days are a write off, so I can draw a line under the impasse and then I can start the procrastination afresh. Or not I hope

Andy

My main hobby is procrastination if that's any help.

I like it because, unlike my other pastimes and interests,  it's the one I'm really good at.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

My main hobby is procrastination if that's any help.

I like it because, unlike my other pastimes and interests,  it's the one I'm really good at.

I am now - didn't used to be an issue, but this last year has changed that!

• Friendly/supportive 10

As with most skills you have practice them to become really good.

So the less said about that the better.

I find that during the good weather, mainly spring and summer although I should include the autumn, I'm too busy putting my horticultural skills to use so there's very little time for anything else.

So on that noted I bid you adieau and will be outside sorting out a wind damaged ivy and a pile of trapped leaves.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I had to re read Neils post a couple of times i thought he was going in for a massive expansion of his layout As he was building a warehouse for it.

My layout is still in the planning stages i will be a pro procrastinator time i get started. 

Did a little research on the NLS site yesterday to see if i could find any obvious sign on old maps of what 

the concrete could have been in the old garden but to no avail

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ha ha, I wish!  Our whole house could fit in Jamie's warehouse.....

A helping hand for one of my issues has been proffered from a kind person, so we will see if we can make something happen with that.

One assumes that the hand is still attached to someone otherwise things could get messy.

On the other hand, pun intended, police on the isle of man are looking for the rest of a body after a hand was handed in by the member of the public. A police spokesperson stated ' at 7.30 am this morning a hand was left on the doorstop of the fraggle rock central police station. Further enquiries are being persued' . Police have asked if anybody is missing a hand they should contact them immediately as the hand is taking up to much room in the stations fridge and they can't get there jam butties in.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

So on that noted I bid you adieau and will be outside sorting out a wind damaged ivy and a pile of trapped leaves.

Better being outside with damaged ivy leaves and sorting out a pile of trapped wind!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Latest news:

'Hand found at Police Station discovered to be English, so thrown back in the 'oggin'. 

Hopefully to be eaten by killer kippers, the same as the morons arrested at 6am for swimming in the sea in an organised group, after police warned them yesterday not to do it again.  I suspect the organiser is heading for 4 weeks at HM's Pleasure, same as one of my old clients did earlier in the week. My heart pumps purple custard.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 5

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Latest news:

'Hand found at Police Station discovered to be English, so thrown back in the 'oggin'. 

Hopefully to be eaten by killer kippers, the same as the morons arrested at 6am for swimming in the sea in an organised group, after police warned them yesterday not to do it again.  I suspect the organiser is heading for 4 weeks at HM's Pleasure, same as one of my old clients did earlier in the week. My heart pumps purple custard.

So one takes it that it wasn't the Fraggle Rock Synchronized Swimming Team.

Perhaps they were trying to escape the lock down regime imposed by the tolitarian regime that passes for your  government.

• Like 4