Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

44 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And that's left precious little room for growing Eccles cakes, which is possibly why Jamie finds it difficult to get them in France.

Dave (just to lighten the conversation a bit, you understand).

Remind me, for a student of agriculture I am not. 

Do Eccles cakes grow on a bush, a tree or do you have to dig them up like spuds?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I have to say that I vehemently disagreed with much of what Mr Benn advocated,  but this is definitely "on the money" and is applicable to every human endeavour - from the Model Railway Club to Local Government to National Government.

I agree and would apply the same to Margaret Thatcher.  It was said, even by some of her harshest political opponents, that she was an excellent analyst of issues; it was always her proposed solutions that they disagreed with.  I hold that opinion of her, Benn and many other leading politicians.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I agree and would apply the same to Margaret Thatcher.  It was said, even by some of her harshest political opponents, that she was an excellent analyst of issues; it was always her proposed solutions that they disagreed with.  I hold that opinion of her, Benn and many other leading politicians.

I remember my Dad coming home from a work trip to the nuclear power station at Winfrith. Tony Benn was Energy Minister, or whatever the post was then called, and had visited a few days before.

All the staff Dad spoke to had related how Benn was the first Minister they'd encountered  who clearly did his homework and had displayed any real knowledge of the industry, 

John

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SM42 said:

Remind me, for a student of agriculture I am not. 

Do Eccles cakes grow on a bush, a tree or do you have to dig them up like spuds?

Andy

Yes they are grown in Lancashire now on a hill gaurded by Haggis' that run round clockwise.

I haven't bought either a light bulb or a saucepan but have just drunk a glass of the new batch of this year's cherry brandy that Beth bottled. I was excellent.  

Jamie

PS, i may not have agreed with either Tony Benn or Tam Dalyell but very much respected their right to express them. Benn had flown Spifires in combat and Dalyell had been a tank commander in NW europe in 44 and 45 when that job had a rather high casualty rate.

Thatnks to Compound2632. Dalyell did serve but not till 1950.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

36 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Dalyell had been a tank commander in NW europe in 44 and 45 when that job had a rather high casualty rate.

Sorry, Jamie, that can’t be right. I met Dalyell personally in the early 1960s (1963?) and as I remembered him, that didn’t fit. So I looked him up, and he was born in 1932. He was in the army, but doing National Service in 1950-52.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I remember my Dad coming home from a work trip to the nuclear power station at Winfrith. Tony Benn was Energy Minister, or whatever the post was then called, and had visited a few days before.

All the staff Dad spoke to had related how Benn was the first Minister they'd encountered  who clearly did his homework and had displayed any real knowledge of the industry, 

John

Tony Benn was also present and witnessed "The Battle for Orgreave" during the Miner's Strike:

Footage of the confrontation had been filmed by a crew from the BBC. When this appeared on that evening's news bulletins, it was edited and broadcast out of chronological sequence, showing pickets throwing stones at the police and the police subsequently carrying out a mounted charge.[4][80] This corresponded with the narrative given by the police that the decision to use horses was necessary to stop the stone throwing, and was only taken after the police had been subjected to a sustained barrage of missiles. Video taken by the police's own cameramen and footage recorded by filmmaker Yvette Vanson demonstrated that the reverse was true, and that the stone throwing had been a response to the unprovoked first mounted charge.[51][55] In July 1991 the BBC said:

The BBC acknowledged some years ago that it made a mistake over the sequence of events at Orgreave. We accepted without question that it was serious, but emphasised that it was a mistake made in the haste of putting the news together. The end result was that the editor inadvertently reversed the occurrence of the actions of the police and the pickets.[81]

Tony Benn challenged this explanation, stating that he had spoken to BBC staff shortly after the broadcast who "were up in arms as they could see quite clearly that the police charge[d] and then the miners throw stones [but they] were ordered to transpose the order in such a way as to give the opposite impression".[81] Benn said: "They didn't make a mistake ... Whoever gave the orders actually destroyed the truth of what they reported."[81]

Independent Television News (ITN) also filmed the events, and part of their news bulletin that evening showed a policeman standing over a prone picket and repeatedly striking him in the head with his baton. The picket was beaten unconscious and the policeman's baton broke in half.[18] In the BBC's report, filmed from the same vantage point, the footage was cut just before the policeman began beating the picket.[82] In 2014, a spokesman for the BBC claimed that the crew had "failed to record some of the violence due to a camera error".[83]

I recall seeing an interview with TB some years later, and he was firmly of the view (with justification I think) that the Beeb were having their strings pulled by the very top, in order to portray a bad opinion of the Miners

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes they are grown in Lanccashire now on a hill gaurded by Haggis' that run round clockwise.

I haven't bought either a light bulb or a saucepan but have just drunk a glass of the new batch of this year's cherry brandy that Beth bottled. I was excellent.  

Jamie

PS, i may not have agreed with either Tony Benn or Tam Dalyell but very much respected their right to express them. Benn had flown Spifires in combat and Dalyell had been a tank commander in NW europe in 44 and 45 when that job had a rather high casualty rate.

No No No that's not true at all. That's just a story put out by the Eccles Cake Confederation or ECC or as we of the f Eccles cake appreciation society like to call them Bieki thump. They are in actual fact mined in the ...................,........,...........,.......,..........., and the,...........,...............,.............. CENSORED BY ORDER OF THE ECC.

All further discussion on the production of Eccles cake should be referred to the ECC in writing prior to commencement.

By order of the ECC central information agency of EEC CIA.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

On 11/11/2021 at 07:21, jamie92208 said:

Leeds used the same system to get it's trackless trolleys back to the depot in 1911, from Aire Street back to Kirkstall Road depot.

As ID has mentioned above, public transport can be percieved as being for the poorer end of society. Twas not always thus.  The first trameay in Leeds was built to get the millowners and other monied classes from thdir new villas in Headingly, into town. Thry had moved out to avoid the smoke and pollution from their factories. In the process they left nice houses in town to be occupied by lawyers etc.  Park Square.  Later on as the tramway network expanded and was electrified  in the late 1890's they saw the trams as a means of getti g their workforces into the mills cheaply.

It has been shown in studies that trams are the only real system that gets people out of their cars.

Jamie

My Grandad once got a trailer wheel stuck in the tramlines of Leeds he had to go to the depot to get it jacked out as it was full of castings 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought this was a good documentary series. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429320/  Especialy the one about the ousting of Maggie Thatcher. I was driving home from work listening on the radio when Geoffrey Howes speech came on live. I drove the whole forty miles home with my mouth wide open. Interesting to see how the major parties get rid of a leader mid term. The Tories its a swift stiletto sliding in between the ribs, with Labour its a dozen carving knives in the back and very messy. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes they are grown in Lanccashire now on a hill gaurded by Haggis' that run round clockwise.

Jamie

Thanks for that. My forgettery has been at it again. I knew that he had served and the dates fit with Korea, but the obits are rather scarce on detail.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Being in charge of supplies and catering for SiL and hubby's stay I was sent forth to scour the badlands of North Hipposhire for comestibles suitable for afternoon tea today and in my search I found the ECC storage and sales facility (West Midlands). Thus I was able to return in triumph to Hunt Towers with a large bag of ....... Eccles Cakes. Not only that but they were export strength with a currant density of 24 to the cubic cm.

And jolly nice they were too, especially with a tot of Talisker.

Yours with a nice full tummy,

Dave

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Being in charge of supplies and catering for SiL and hubby's stay I was sent forth to scour the badlands of North Hipposhire for comestibles suitable for afternoon tea today and in my search I found the ECC storage and sales facility (West Midlands). Thus I was able to return in triumph to Hunt Towers with a large bag of ....... Eccles Cakes. Not only that but they were export strength with a currant density of 24 to the cubic cm.

And jolly nice they were too, especially with a tot of Talisker.

Yours with a nice full tummy,

Dave

You jammy so and so Mr Hunt. The export ones are really difficult to get hold of as you don't see them on sale in this country that often. I've been trying to get hold of some for quite a while.

If you send your receipt in to those nice men and women, other sexes are also available I believe, at the customs and revenue they'll refund you the export tax that's levied on them.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes they are grown in Lancashire now on a hill gaurded by Haggis' that run round clockwise.

Jamie

Maybe so, but how was the cherry brandy? :yahoo:

• Funny 11