I did wonder who the girl in the pink was... :)

I was looking at the Omen figures at the GOG Kettering Show - the ready-painted ones are exquisite! (Bought unpainted ones myself, though)

All the added details are really bringing this layout to life, now!! :locomotive:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Have you one of the Ixion Hudswell Clarkes? I'd love to see your take on the model.

No, I don't have an Ixion Hudswell but I have two of their Manning Wardles and I'll definitely buy one of their Fowlers when it becomes available.

I've thought about buying a Hudswell but every time I've been to a show with a wad of cash in my wallet to spend on a new engine it's been drawn to another kit. I quite enjoy building the kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ruston [Dave]

Taking you back to the beginning Dave I can see you made your boards and then it looks like you painted the top wood surface black, no cork overlay, is that correct.  Then on page 3 you gloss over adding ballast, can you explain if you just brushed on ballast chippings and used a spray glue mix in water to seal it down?

I ask as I'm going down a similar route but wonder if the noise level is noticeable without any cork/foam underlay.  I don't feel underlay improves anything other than camber which in a freight yard/industrial area is minimal to none existent. . 

Great layout excellent details.

Regards

Hello Ruston [Dave]

Taking you back to the beginning Dave I can see you made your boards and then it looks like you painted the top wood surface black, no cork overlay, is that correct.  Then on page 3 you gloss over adding ballast, can you explain if you just brushed on ballast chippings and used a spray glue mix in water to seal it down?

I ask as I'm going down a similar route but wonder if the noise level is noticeable without any cork/foam underlay.  I don't feel underlay improves anything other than camber which in a freight yard/industrial area is minimal to none existent. . 

Great layout excellent details.

Regards

Hi,

That is correct. There is no cork or anything like that. The track is stuck straight onto the painted plywood surface. The ballast is a mixture of crushed coal/ash/clinker from a former NCB line. I put lumps of it into a pestle and mortar and smahed it up and sieved it. It is held in place with Klear and diluted wood glue.

I don't see any advantage in using underlay when the ballast sets hard and transmits noise to the baseboard anyway. It's not as if the trains are thundering around at speed in any case.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the tank fleet I bought a second hand, but unbuilt, Slater's tank wagon for just £25. I already have three such wagons so I decided to make this one slightly different.

The difference is that I'm having a wooden-framed version.

post-494-0-85213100-1368044149.jpg

The cradles are from the Slater's kit but the axle guards, springs, buffer bodies, coupling hooks and wheels are all from my spares/junk box. I bought the wood strip at a local model shop that has since closed down and so as I can't buy any more ATM I've substituted plastic in some parts.

So I was left with a complete frame, brakes and running gear from the kit and so I have had a go at bodging together an insulated and steam-heated type tank, the basis of which is a tube that contanined silicon sealant.

post-494-0-20609500-1368044330.jpg

The beauty of building an insulated tank is that you don't need to form domes for the ends.

post-494-0-71157500-1368044374.jpg

This brass and whitemetal tank is a Meteor Models 14-ton RCH tank that I've also been building.

post-494-0-04734600-1368044265.jpg

I've also been adding to some of my existing tanks. This Slater's tank has acquired owner's name boards. This sort of thing appears to have been more unusual than having the name painted on the tank itself but they did exist.

post-494-0-33365900-1368044513.jpg

The insulated and heated tank as of now. It still needs a fast traffic star and some weathering.

post-494-0-12511000-1368044759.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with it. The pipework is a bit rough and ready, the logo is crap and the scoring of the card wrapper that is supposed to represent the joins in the panels on the sheet metalwork is too pronounced. That's down to the card wanting to bend at the score because I didn't glue it to the pipe all round. Instead I just glued it at the joint at the bottom. This was fine and the wrapper would have stayed round if I hadn't scored it. Lessons learnt.

The Meteor tank with no modifications except for an attempt at representing the welds at the section joints on the tank. I've seen other people's completed models from this kit and they don't look right with a smooth and completely seam-free barrel so I've made my welded seams from masking tape. It may be a bit overscale but it looks better to have something there than a smooth barrel IMHO. The logo and Bury Thorn & Sons lettering was made on the PC and printed onto the last bit of Crafty Computer Paper that I had. The fast traffic star and no light etc. lettering are cut from the sheet that comes with the kit.

post-494-0-08097700-1368044814.jpg

And the wooden-framed tank? It's been put aside for now until I am in the mood for tackling the fiddly bits.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14

I've painted and added a few more people to the railway

The despatch foreman checks off the loads that need to be on the next train.

post-494-0-03710400-1368732824.jpg

The wagon checker reading The Daily Mirror.

post-494-0-11669300-1368732911.jpg

Old Joe, of the transport department, stands atop the coal pile ready to help coaling a locomotive.

post-494-0-28184500-1368732976.jpg

• Like 12

Superb. Can I ask - did you buy the pallets and loads or make them? I need a few. Also the block-setts ground, is that commercial?

Some of the pallets are made from plywood and some are cast whitemetal from Skytrex. The setts were tediously scribed into DAS clay and individually painted. I think they could do with some matt varnish to take the shine off them.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't have parked my shiney white car next to a pile of coal...

Those setts look superb, well worth all the effort you've put into them. They look a bit wet, so the shine works for me. Plus, the ones used more often, eg by the door, will be polished with the passage of feet.

• RMweb Premium

Some of the pallets are made from plywood and some are cast whitemetal from Skytrex. The setts were tediously scribed into DAS clay and individually painted. I think they could do with some matt varnish to take the shine off them.

What did you use to paint them ?

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

I haven't popped into BTS for a while.  It has always been a beautifully executed layout oozing atmosphere.

Since my last visit you've started to add some nice touches to the layout giving it plenty of character.  I really love the Sentinel-I think RT Models are planning one of these in 4mm.

The heated tank wagon is well executed too and everything just gels together nicely in a restrained way.

Great stuff and keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1