Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered a couple with sound. Has anyone heard these sound-schemes yet - any good....?

I didn’t think you could order with sound?I would like sound is there a link on web site?

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 1

Hmmm.......I seem to have had an uncharacteristic mental glitch, as these were ordered last year, and I thought that it was an option...... I have just been on the phone to Rails, and indeed - I am told that it is not an option.... doooooooh... Sorry folks. 'As you were'...!

Incidentally, the young lady at Rails referred to delivery as expected 'November-December'..... Happily - I'm in no rush.

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Hardwicke with a black roof must be a cert I would have thought, that sheen is going to make any painted out white roof look oddly different unless someone is very lucky with their choice of paint and varnish.

Did the cleaners polish up the cab roofs to the same extent as the boiler cladding etc., even in Webb's day?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 14:10, Jol Wilkinson said:

The loco is in "summer condition" as the steam heating valve, mounted on the front R/H of the cab roof (fireman's side)  is not evident. This was often removed during summer months when train heating was not required.

Further thought: when was steam heating introduced on the LNWR / WCJS? If the loco is in 1895 condition, it may pre-date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Further thought: when was steam heating introduced on the LNWR / WCJS? If the loco is in 1895 condition, it may pre-date.

According to Casserley and Millard in ‘A Register of WCJS’, LNWR train heating experiments started in 1894 and was adopted for newly constructed suburban carriages in 1897. All WCJS coaches were to be fitted with train heat from March 1900, I’d expect LNWR stock would’ve started to be retrofitted around that time as well. The LNWR finally dispensed with footwarmers in 1916.

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, turbos said:

According to Casserley and Millard in ‘A Register of WCJS’, LNWR train heating experiments started in 1894 and was adopted for newly constructed suburban carriages in 1897. All WCJS coaches were to be fitted with train heat from March 1900, I’d expect LNWR stock would’ve started to be retrofitted around that time as well. The LNWR finally dispensed with footwarmers in 1916.

Thanks! A book I have...

So no steam heat for Lucknow in 1895 condition, summer or winter.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2021 at 19:35, Compound2632 said:

Did the cleaners polish up the cab roofs to the same extent as the boiler cladding etc., even in Webb's day?

highly unlikely as the cleaners had to stand on the running plate to do the cleaning and probably couldn’t reach the roof from there

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2021 at 19:35, Compound2632 said:

16 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The LNWR painted their carriage roofs white, but didn't clean those, despite maintaining the coach sides in excellent condition. Why would they therefore clean the loco cab roofs, which were painted black? 

I should perhaps make it clear that my question was rhetorical, implying the answer "No". 

I believe that Hardwicke's current white roof is the result of a misinterpretation of the story that the roofs of the royal train carriages were given a fresh coat of white before each royal use. I was told his by Tony Lyster of the LNWR Picnic Saloon Trust when he showed me round the ex-royal train dining saloon at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre; the accumulated weight of white lead paint caused the roof to sag.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tractionman said:

Double page review in the December issue of the Railway Modeller, the crimson livery looks fantastic in the pictures.

Cheers,

Keith

Model Rail say  they are reviewing it in the next magazine issue.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

One thing in the RM review I wasn't aware of is factory fitted 'rubber traction tyres' on one axle, with a spare plain wheelset for substituting this if required--I know from the initial outset that 'tyres' were going to be involved (as set out in the initial announcement) but I expected these to be available for subsitution, ie the other way around to the delivered model?

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, tractionman said:

One thing in the RM review I wasn't aware of is factory fitted 'rubber traction tyres' on one axle, with a spare plain wheelset for substituting this if required--I know from the initial outset that 'tyres' were going to be involved (as set out in the initial announcement) but I expected these to be available for subsitution, ie the other way around to the delivered model?

cheers,

Keith

I’m pretty sure they’ve been clear all the way through (from the first announcement) that it’s traction tyres as standard with the option to not have them - across the Locomotion thread and this one there was a lot of chat at the time. Basically this way round is the way round it has always been anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And it certainly makes sense that way round.  The sort of "entry level" person* who just buys it to run with a few coaches will want a model that can pull that rake.  Those more concerned about the look on their layout should, by and large, be capable of swapping the wheels.

* A plonk it on the track and turn the controller on person.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

And it certainly makes sense that way round.  The sort of "entry level" person* who just buys it to run with a few coaches will want a model that can pull that rake.  Those more concerned about the look on their layout should, by and large, be capable of swapping the wheels.

* A plonk it on the track and turn the controller on person.

Is a £220 loco "entry level"? Perhaps it is if you are interested in pre-group modelling without having to get into kit building.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2