Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

We do have a disturbingly intelligent sheep around here already.

Although his eccentricities cause him to  occasionally buy diseasels and identify himself as a vintage Bentley, it's outweighed by his modelmaking abilities....

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

Well that turned to **** in a hurry.

Despite having sealed the surface with both paint and PVA, the ballast glue has attacked the mounting board that the area behind the station is made from. Oddly it didn't warp at the other end when plaster was applied.

So now I have scale 18 inch dips in the surface.

I'm going to let it dry out and go to Plan 751 B, (Revision D) 

Which is better than Operation Saw off and throw away.

IMG_20220125_114303.jpg.d49c02b5583a4de1e98f5ef4bee5c4be.jpg

IMG_20220125_114310.jpg

images lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

14 hours ago, Regularity said:

S&T plates?

I've seen those on ancient photos from the broad gauge era and on preserved boxes, (Radstock North?) From what I read above, they appeared about 1880 and fell out of use as communications improved around 1914. Does anyone have any evidence of their survival into the 1930s?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We do have a disturbingly intelligent sheep around here already.

Although his eccentricities cause him to  occasionally buy diseasels and identify himself as a vintage Bentley, it's outweighed by his modelmaking abilities....

Ta. 

nBUTAHM.jpg.b06f632a02dd4c0ab7bd5476e53b8d3c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There's a heap of jobs to do on the station building.

Paint, lots of dodgy edges, the noticeboards, door panels, roof, brickwork..... etc.

More details. Door plates and handles, drain pipes, lead flashing, telephone insulators, lamps, signs and a single working light in the booking office.

I'll probably think of other things. It's not gone too badly for a first attempt at scratch building a station, even though I've pulled it apart twice and very nearly binned it more than that.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Nothing wrong with your eyes, it is 1.5mm out of square, a result of being salvaged from the MK1 and MK2 version of the building. I didn't notice until it was too late. That was another point where it nearly went in the bin. It's not actually noticeable with the building in position and would require a lot of demolition to change it.

The other end is fine.

IMG_20220127_221732.jpg.098cd89d8119dcc1f4b88e3d25eefd5e.jpg

image lost.

IMG_20210420_235140.jpg.e5a423e62605e904ece79e981777102e.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Technology that fails to deliver
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Nothing wrong with your eyes, it is 1.5mm out of square, a result of being salvaged from the MK1 and MK2 version of the building. I didn't notice until it was too late. That was another point where it nearly went in the bin. It's not actually noticeable with the building in position and would require a lot of demolition to change it.

The other end is fine.

IMG_20220127_221732.jpg.098cd89d8119dcc1f4b88e3d25eefd5e.jpg

It must be down to local subsidence. Sheep tunneling out maybe?

• Funny 7

Part of the city where I reside has been afflicted with a spate- four to be precise, of car jackings. As a result it has been labelled by the local rag the car jacking capital of the wider conurban area. To say the residents are less than pleased is a bit of an understatement. Some of them have employed private security to patrol the area. The police are really getting it in the neck from the councillors etc. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Part of the city where I reside has been afflicted with a spate- four to be precise, of car jackings.

Do you mean that strangers wander up to cars, slip a jack under, and raise (some of) the car’s wheels off the ground?

• Funny 1

The problem is that the police and the law have had their hands tied. Often by the same government officials that are criticising them. There appears to be more spent on appeasing criminals than tackling crime. 

It's alright for nimbys to have a soft attitude to crime, particularly drug related crime, but they're not the ones getting burgled, mugged or having their cars stolen, or worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Do you mean that strangers wander up to cars, slip a jack under, and raise (some of) the car’s wheels off the ground?

Think of it more as your wife or daughter driving home and while waiting at the lights, a couple of blokes drag her out of the car at knife or gunpoint, give her a good kicking and then take her car.

The physical scars may or may not heal. The mental scars never will.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Think of it more as your wife or daughter driving home and while waiting at the lights, a couple of blokes drag her out of the car at knife or gunpoint, give her a good kicking and then take her car.

The physical scars may or may not heal. The mental scars never will.

I knew what it was: it was just the phrase.

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I knew what it was: it was just the phrase.

I know you did. Round here last summer the police busted a gang of sixteen year olds who were knocking kids off their expensive wheelie bikes and stealing them. They were either selling the stolen bikes or using them around the back alleys to deliver drugs or petty theft. They think they're untouchable because there's a whole industry built up around patting the poor disadvantaged wee sh1tes on the head and letting them off with a gentle talking to.

I have to careful how I phrase this as I don't want to labelled but let's just say that the areas inhabitants have a somewhat insular and superior attitude to the rest of us. I shall say no more.

The area I live in has been plagued by burglaries, where cars were the target. Nothing was done until a group of residents started kicking up a fuss directly with the police, bypassing councillors, as they had there heads so far up there .....,... they could see daylight. They eventually nicked them and lowe and behold it died down.

The trouble is the rozziers are dashing from one area to the next and the scrotes know this and move onto the next area.

There has been a change at the top since then and the instruction has obviously come down  to crack down as we are seeing lots of raids at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Negative labelling of people who speak as they find is how various political groups silence anyone who has a different world view to their own. It also creates fear amongst those with less confidence. So I get exactly where you're coming from.

There's been quite a lot of raids around here of late, but the scrotes get replaced with fresh ones due to the amount of absentee landlords amongst other things.

The council like to gloss over the truth of course with phrases such as "upcoming" "contrasts" "colourful" "vibrant" and "diverse", which is basically Newspeak for "ghetto". It's far from all bad here, but the minority of wannabe gangstas spoil it. 

It's nice here when the sun is shining and the idiots aren't fighting. It's a place to live we can afford.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6