Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I've not had much time for any major modelling this week but a hunt through the bits box has turned up a number of little items that I can paint and fit during my lunch break, such as these boundary posts.

IMG_20220202_131729.jpg.b9c07dc4884704fdd7db52d0dfa996da.jpg

IMG_20220202_131714.jpg.eac60947fc8b9a9df819e15a77801e18.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

….I can paint and fit during my lunch break….

lunch break?….nope sorry you lost me there, I don’t understand some of these foreign terms you come out with :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

lunch break?….nope sorry you lost me there, I don’t understand some of these foreign terms you come out with :lol:

It's the mandatory break in working hours that is in your contact which you rapidly become coerced / guilted / bullied into working through..:D

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4

On 02/02/2022 at 18:20, Siberian Snooper said:

All the GW boundary posts that I have seen were black,  coated in some sort of pitch.

This was another thing where despite trawling the internet I couldn't find any reference to. Despite typing in basic requests such as: "What colour were GWR boundary markers painted?"

So I had a hunt amongst the Google images and only selected pictures of markers which were off the beaten path and ignoring those tarted up as garden ornaments.

This is what I came up with:

large_dd2017_010_02.jpg.f1e1d8b0b2099828e0c9611a9d132805.jpg

6842683_820698d4.jpg.3ec695c7528928282bf228fdff0e4469.jpg

300px-Boundary_marker_SO796750.jpg.935f57758bdf0c52e0447245413990d9.jpg

301px-Boundary_marker_Victoria_Bridge_NW.jpg.fae7fdff1b85019e494f1fca2574847b.jpg

GWR-Boundary-Marker-Wargrave-Loddon-Drive-2-a-480x394.jpg.a4b1f0ba12bf1232b3ebb5c150735a7d.jpg

FHyRKJlXEAINZVt.jpg.0c4e3cca1afaa6018a4920f696338170.jpg

I suspect that they would have been tarred, especially as a good three feet is buried, but as a marker to denote a point beyond which the public may be trespassing, companies as practical as the railways would have applied a coat of whitewash otherwise it could be argued that the marker was not properly visible which would rather make its purpose redundant.

It's probably not clear in the photos, but they did get a dirty black/green wash before planting.

FHyRKJlXEAINZVt.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't think I've ever seen anything written about how widespread the use of boundary markers was and how they were placed.

Were they placed alongside all railway land or just in certain locations?

Were they spaced closely or spread out?

I always thought in many places the lineside fencing would serve the purpose?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There was no fencing between the GW and LSW on the section between Brentor and Lydford and from memory they were around a couple of hundred yards apart. The ones in Albert Road denote the edges of the cut and cover tunnel under it, that section of land belonging to the railway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Slightly off topic, but still to do with boundary markers. I have seen such markers in cities around towers or similar where there is a plaza or landscaped areas. They were set flush into the ground and were easy to miss if you didn't know what to look for.

The boundary markers that I have come across over the years all appear to be either side of bridges or viaducts, so that was my reasoning for placing them where I have. I'm not going to install any elsewhere without knowing that they would be in that position.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The railway bought more land than necessary, called the limit of deviation to allow for cuttings and embankments, obviously if you build a bridge or viaduct, the amount of ground required is somewhat less, the boundary markers at such locations are to show the extent of the land actually purchased.

• Informative/Useful 4

37 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The railway bought more land than necessary, called the limit of deviation to allow for cuttings and embankments, obviously if you build a bridge or viaduct, the amount of ground required is somewhat less, the boundary markers at such locations are to show the extent of the land actually purchased.

Thanks for that, it makes sense of the location of a lot of surviving posts.

I was reminded of two things earlier, one was my complimenting @Tortugaon his methodical approach to layout construction and the other was @Winslow Boy's comment beginning "slightly off topic".

He'd reminded me a while back that I said I was going to have to get the backscene installed.

Here is where the methodical approach comes in.

Or rather it didn't.

When I built the landscape formers, it was my intention to build the left and right rear corners in a 4 inch radius curve, so that we didn't have corners in the sky.

Naturally, I got carried away and forgot to do it! :scratchhead:

So I have performed what can only be described as a Retro-hack of the scenery.

Doing the right hand end was easy. The left was a Royal P.I.T.A as the only access was from the front and I'm right handed.

Fortunately I have a willing volunteer who is light enough to sit on the fiddle yard board and saw through the hardboard formers and the 19x19 strip wood behind it.

New formers from 3mm greyboard were shaped and glued in to reinforce the scenery. I'll tidy, paint and generally make good when the glue is set.

I'll be making lists like I do for my paintings and motorcycle restorations from now on!

IMG_20220203_233134.jpg.a3d272fc89b6891ccaa6f3dc6fc6593f.jpg

IMG_20220203_233155.jpg.074b7dea312dd41441fde3c70158c7b6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Victim of state education...
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Fortunately I have a willing volunteer who is light enough to sit on the fiddle yard board and saw through the hardboard formers and the 19x19 strip wood behind it.

What can't she do?????

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'll be making lists

I like lists, as long as they don't get too long.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What can't she do?????

*Play string instruments.

*Drink without falling asleep.

*Eat certain fruit or go near cats without bursting into flames.

*Drive on a motorway.

*Pretend to like people.

*Be trusted not to say what she's thinking.

That's just off the top of my head...

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I like lists, as long as they don't get too long.

I break the job down into sections and only write down the first twenty items and don't write another list until the first one is crossed off. Otherwise I tend to find I get ahead of myself.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

*Drive on a motorway.

*Pretend to like people.

Ah well, we can't all be perfect (I'd say no 1 was an asset, personally).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

*Drive on a motorway.

*Pretend to like people.

Can't see much wrong with most of that list!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Those of you modelling the GWR and the WR should have a look at this thread and get your vote in:

You can never have enough panniers!

Excellent. Thanks for drawing our attention to this, Mr W, I might not have seen it otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I spotted it on Neal's thread and 

thought that a good way to promote it would be to get it on as many GWR threads as possible.

If you're reading this and have a thread, share the poll on your thread as well as filling in the poll and posting your comments.

• Like 4

I've been pricing up foam board as a backing for the photo backscene.

I could make it from 3mm steel sheet for half the price!

I'm looking into something of similar weight that's cheap. Of which more later.

On with the station yard for now!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1