Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Just about anywhere I can on the internet. Our local art shop don't sell it any bigger than A3 on the grounds it's too expensive to stock in big sheets. For a 1200x600mm sheet most people are asking around £20-£24 + postage. I will need at least four. 

Not going to happen.

Things are moving, a little slower than I would like, but at least they are moving.

Hopefully I have sorted out the last of the major problems with the landscape butchering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Just about anywhere I can on the internet. Our local art shop don't sell it any bigger than A3 on the grounds it's too expensive to stock in big sheets. For a 1200x600mm sheet most people are asking around £20-£24 + postage. I will need at least four. 

Not going to happen.

Things are moving, a little slower than I would like, but at least they are moving.

Hopefully I have sorted out the last of the major problems with the landscape butchering.

I got mine off eBay - 10x A3 3mm sheets are £34 inc P&P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALIGHT-White-PVC-Foam-Board-Foamex-Sheets-Multi-packs-Sizes-A5-A4-A3-/254355436256?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've been pricing up foam board as a backing for the photo backscene.

I could make it from 3mm steel sheet for half the price!

I'm looking into something of similar weight that's cheap. Of which more later.

On with the station yard for now!

I used ply as backing for the photographic bits on Yelverton. Other materials found useful were wall paper .ing paper (works out very cheap indeed) and artists mounting board.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

You can get 8x4 shhets of foamboard for about £20 a sheet but the minimum order will be about 10 sheets. Even if you could get say 2 sheets the chances of them arriving undamaged are probably minimal and the transport cost are extra.

Don

these seem a bit cheaper cut to size https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/sheet/pvc-foam-board-(foamex)/white-pvc-foam-board/c-24/c-88/p-299

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m very impressed :good:

Unfortunately because I can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time, another project* I’m currently working on has taken priority over the layout :blush:

Although my snail paced approach to modelling means no one has noticed the lack of activity on Warren of late :lol:

*model railway related

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

I have been suffering from a similar inability to multitask, I've had the bits of fence sitting in a box painted and ready to fit for about a year. I just hadn't been able to sort out the station yard.

It's looking like the next job is to put in the road and the level crossing. That's about the last bit of bare plywood!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This afternoon has seen a bit of work around the Eastern end of the platform. The fencing will continue along the roadside once the level crossing is installed.

Very nice, Mr W.

It's really satisfying, isn't it, when you get round to installing various detail bits that you've either built or accumulated for a project.

• Agree 8

Thanks, it certainly is. I've got quite a few items I have made and painted, sitting around in plastic tubs waiting for the place that they are destined for to be ready.

You know that you're finally getting somewhere when those items start to appear on the layout.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m very impressed :good:

Unfortunately because I can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time, another project* I’m currently working on has taken priority over the layout :blush:

Although my snail paced approach to modelling means no one has noticed the lack of activity on Warren of late :lol:

*model railway related

My current molluscesque progress mirrors your own Von Chuff. 

Hopefully not for too much longer though. 

Sheep chap. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have been suffering from a similar inability to multitask

“The secret of success is to focus entirely on what you are doing: conducting a symphony orchestra, driving a car, or even making love.” 
An inability to multitask can be a blessing…

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

It's really satisfying, isn't it, when you get round to installing various detail bits that you've either built or accumulated for a project.

...or when they've been in a box since the last layout they were used on was dismantled about 40 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

46 minutes ago, Regularity said:

“The secret of success is to focus entirely on what you are doing: conducting a symphony orchestra, driving a car, or even making love.” 
An inability to multitask can be a blessing…

Definitely. 

The attitude most employers have regarding multitasking, flexibility and what they refer to as "coping", translates as doing a half assed Job of several tasks with the inevitable capacity for mistakes,, omissions and generally demoralizing the workforce.

I've set myself several targets for this layout, if I get stuck with one. I put it aside and concentrate on it's neighbor. That generally gives me time to figure out the one I'm stuck with.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

18 hours ago, Donw said:

You can get 8x4 shhets of foamboard for about £20 a sheet but the minimum order will be about 10 sheets. Even if you could get say 2 sheets the chances of them arriving undamaged are probably minimal and the transport cost are extra.

Don

these seem a bit cheaper cut to size https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/sheet/pvc-foam-board-(foamex)/white-pvc-foam-board/c-24/c-88/p-299

I recently purchased a single 2.4x0.6m XPS foam sheet in Australia.  It took a while, as the companies supply building products to the construction industry, and tend to not have much (if anything) by way of web pages, but it can be done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cause I'm just a fellow with a one track mind
And when it comes to thinkin about
Anything but my railway
I just don't have the time

I'm too busy thinkin' about my railway
Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Read that whilst drinking coffee. Laughed. Spilt coffee on table got up to get cloth holding phone, dropped phone, banged head on table reaching to pick up phone. Got cloth, wiped spillage, knocked cup, more spillage, wiped second spillage. Off to make new cup of coffee. 

Best not go near train set just yet.........if at all today. 

That's what is known as "Doing a Donald Duck".

Best thing to do is let events take their course.

If you fall to keep your cool, you can end up "Going full Donald Duck" which tends to end up with you stepping on a rake or being hit on the head with a bowling ball / flat iron.

Unlike in Donald Duck cartoons, it's no longer 1940, so you can gaurantee that someone else will film everything and upload to YouTube.

Most likely one of your own children...

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

very few tasks are suited to multi tasking. You can listen to the radio while doing most things, but trying to spread ballast while soldering up a brass kit would be plain crazy. Typically what is meant by multi tasking is interleaving tasks. Often I am on the computer perhaps RMweb and Marion will say keep and eye out and let the dog in when she comes back down the garden (includes wiping her feet). Seeing as the window where the dog can be seen is behind me I shall have to fit a wing mirror to the laptop to multitask that. Thnking about a railway plan or a bit of coding is also resistant to multitasking Marion will start saying something and usually only the last word or two gets through. so I am floundering around trying to guess what she said.

Don

Edited by Donw
typo
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And I thought that only being able to hear the last couple of words of your other halfs sentence was an essential part of being married?

Probably why I'm divorced.

There are of course many instances where multitasking comes naturally and is essential, but only for interleaving tasks.

I'm thinking particularly of such things as driving a car, motorcycle or bicycle, or playing a musical instrument.

What often happens in the workplace is more akin to juggling three or more objects of differing shape, size and weight.

But you're still only employed as a juggler, if that makes sense?

• Like 1