Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art - An Advent Calendar Lookback

LNWR18901910

Backing-up a bit ....... suddenly occurred to me that what I was remembering as a GWR150 event wasn't; it was a Paddington Station 125 event, in 1979.

This looks as if its filmed from Royal Oak; i was on the other side of the line at Westbourne Park. The locos is KGV, not a Castle.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Backing-up a bit ....... suddenly occurred to me that what I was remembering as a GWR150 event wasn't; it was a Paddington Station 125 event, in 1979.

This looks as if its filmed from Royal Oak; i was on the other side of the line at Westbourne Park. The locos is KGV, not a Castle.

And it failed with a hot box before it got to Didcot - oh the ignominy!

I took sickie to go to Ruscombe for pictures. Unfortunately it was featured on the BBC London news that evening and when I went in the next day the first question from the boss was: "Did you get some good pictures?" !

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

image.png.35c1924440bacd2e90dd395f896104b2.png

Day 11

(Quick announcement before I begin - I fear that I'm running out of ideas to work with as well as material so if anybody has anything to share here, please drop me a line, thank you!)

Scotland the braw! Yes, it's The Caledonian set from the 1990s - a renaissance to the company as well as the hobby if you will.

You can tell at a glance that this pays homage (not in a drunken way) to the Tri-ang Hornby era of yesteryear. This is similar to a piece of railwayana or paintings. It reflects on the time when nationalisation was in full-swing until Order 55 (even though many steam locomotives were scrapped before then) but the big give-away is the D tension-lock coupling.

N.B: Special thanks to those who liked and agreed with my thoughts on the last one I looked at, sorry if this is shorter. Also, thanks for sharing your memories as well as facts and such, hopefully I will be back tomorrow with yet another analysis on some more model railway art. Until then, bye for now!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hmm not much to say on this one as its a bit after my time , of looking at trainsets that is .   A nice looking set  and well presented .  Not sure how many of these were sold . My suspicion would be that it was a lot less than the great days of the trainset typified by the Freightmaster pictured earlier and by that time trainsets were falling out of favour as a Christmas present for kids , but more for adults . A period of transition I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Legend, I think this one is moving  us nearer to the era of the 'Train Pack' concept, which featured Loco and stock only, no track or accessories,  but with the option of add on stock packs as an after sale item.  more definitely aimed at the adult collector market.

Regards,

John   

• Like 2

image.png.9ce2c237d1011c7cdc5e69dab78d7e73.png

Day 12

'Tis a Christmas miracle! Considering that the 12 Days of Christmas have officially begun on December 12th, thanks to those who help provided me with enough material for the remaining 12 days of this advent thread will soon follow, but right now, let's get started!

Now, I don't know what thistrain set is called, so it's probably Yardmaster or Shunting Special, maybe? Maybe it's the grey sky, I don't know. You may notice the cooling tower, one of many, that was seen all the time up and down the nation. Note the tiny bit of blue sky surrounded by the smog and smoke coming from the factory chimneys. It shows what a Post-War Britain was like. The shunter watches on as the small train rolls on by. What is this diesel shunter based on prototype-wise? It's supposed to be British but guess what's missing obviously? Buffers, of course! That and side-rods.

The more I look at this, the more I feel dreary by the complex of the industrial modern world that still hasn't changed much over the last hundred years or so. I know how that shunter feels about the changing world as would many.

N.B: Special thanks to those who liked and agreed on my last post, I totally agree with Legend. Also, special thanks to Ruffnut Thornston, Legend and BernardTMP for sharing more material for me and I will indeed be looking at it along with something I found last night which I will share tomorrow in the next post, thanks guys! See you tomorrow with another post!

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Set RS43. The diesel shunter is a (not very good) approximation of a late' 50s NBL sunter. Unlike the Playcraft equivalent though you can't really say which as it diverges from the real ones in many ways. The loco was produced in both clockwork and electric versions, the latter on the same chassis as Nellie, Polly, etc.  The clockwork ones can be blue as per box illustration.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Set RS.43 is a wonderful thing, the box art is so gritty, and represents the contents of the box with surprising realism, unlike the flights of fancy encountered on Hornby O Gauge box tops!  The industry immediately behind the loco is a local Gas Works, with a gasometer and three reeking flues serving the retorts.  Its obviously a more modern generating station with a concrete cooling tower beyond the girder bridge!

My first train set was an RP.C set, with an equally fanciful Steeple Cab electric loco and two shortish green coaches...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5

The electric version of the loco might not have been a very close representation of anything in particular but, like everything Nellie-chassied, it was solid, dependable and fast, and IMO in green BR livery it looked very plausible. The steeple-cab likewise.

However, the really good Triang diesel shunter was the Dock Authority, which was solid, dependable, and not so fast.

The set shown here must have sold a few zillion, because the loco and wagons crop-up in junk shops, eBay, and secondhand tables at exhibitions even now. Ideal fare for the apprentice ‘improver’.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

However, the really good Triang diesel shunter was the Dock Authority, which was solid, dependable, and not so fast.

Complete with the knurled wheels, which didn't really improve grip on the rails, but made it sound more "dieselly".  Especially when at the limits of its pulling power!  :yes:

Edited by Hroth
You know, there isn't much difference between i and o...
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Day 12

'Tis a Christmas miracle! Considering that the 12 Days of Christmas have officially begun on December 12th, thanks to those who help provided me with enough material for the remaining 12 days of this advent thread will soon follow, but right now, let's get started!

Now, I don't know what thistrain set is called, so it's probably Yardmaster or Shunting Special, maybe? Maybe it's the grey sky, I don't know. You may notice the cooling tower, one of many, that was seen all the time up and down the nation. Note the tiny bit of blue sky surrounded by the smog and smoke coming from the factory chimneys. It shows what a Post-War Britain was like. The shunter watches on as the small train rolls on by. What is this diesel shunter based on prototype-wise? It's supposed to be British but guess what's missing obviously? Buffers, of course! That and side-rods.

The more I look at this, the more I feel dreary by the complex of the industrial modern world that still hasn't changed much over the last hundred years or so. I know how that shunter feels about the changing world as would many.

N.B: Special thanks to those who liked and agreed on my last post, I totally agree with Legend. Also, special thanks to Ruffnut Thornston, Legend and BernardTMP for sharing more material for me and I will indeed be looking at it along with something I found last night which I will share tomorrow in the next post, thanks guys! See you tomorrow with another post!

Nice one . Not familiar with set , perhaps before my time . Not often I can say that these days . Yes it’s a grimy depiction of industrial Britain , but I think you’d be hard put to find that these days . Maybe Wigan or Warrington  perhaps ?  I can remember going to visit an Aunt that lived in Redcar . Between Middlesbrough and Redcar it was fascinating as a wee boy . Miles upon miles of industry . I think it was ICI and Steel works . Seemed to go on for ever . 

They've managed to get the Girder Bridge in which is a nice touch . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

I have (Or had if I don't still have it) a Triang class 31 body (Does not have a power bogie) somewhere that is of the "Toffeeapple" design that does not have the headcode boxes. I have not seen another like this. Is it rare? 

Also which Hornby catalogue is your favourity? Mine HAS to be their 1978 catalogue. I no longer have it as I read it to bits when I was younger! That preformed layout was impressive... It all was impressive. Their entire range!

And here is ssomething... An aspect... That I miss, or is missing with todays "Finescale" models. Imagination. 

When it came to the older models ones imagination took over giving an element of excitement. Todays fine models are just too accurate for one to do this so features like the smaller tension lock couplings really stand out. 

With the older models such features seemed to blend in more and I assumed it was because those wide thin metal couplings were less visible? BUT, could it be because the models themselves were not so detailed so ones brain and eyes were more likely to overlook such things and capture an image of realism from them? 

I have to say that when one runs these older models, the main thing which makes them stand out is if they are stood next to todays modern models due to the vision of inconsistency. If one ONLY had models and buildings etc from around when these were made, then the consistency they give paints a more believable scene. 

The last time I bought a Hornby catalogue was about 10 to 15 years ago. Prior to that most years I bought them, but they just seemed to get so expensive. 

Iwas involved by trade on and off in the bicycle industry. They gave their catalogues for free. They once tried charging for them a fee to cover costs which was way below the price that Hornby charged for their catalogues. I think it was less then half price as the bicycle manufacturer that tried it had a similar sized catalogue. Do you know that customers looked, but not one was bought. Yet when they were free we would go through stacks of them and they would sell more bikes too! 

Model railways has more of the "Collector" element to it and this is how they can get away with charging (?)... I would not mind this if the price was more reasonable, but another element (Strangely) put me off. 

In the past their range was nice and simple. It was gradually expanded but somehow, even though very few people did, there was a feeling that if one was wealthy, one could buy one of every model they did. 

When Hornby took over other companies (Which to be fair, they needed "Rescuing" as had Hornby not done this, a LOT of wonderful models would not be seen today) their range greatly expanded, and in the catalogue (Which became three times as thick) things started getting a bit overwealming and confusing. 

I am not saying this could actually be avoided, as what a job it must have been to come out with a catalogue for each year! But somehow, for me they lost their excitement. (Don't ask why! I am wierd somehow! Haha!) It was like in my mind they had suddenly become "Super professional" when they used to be "Small and friendly"? 

Anyway. Just a few thoughts...

Just to ammend... When I see those lovely Triang trainset boxes, they "Paint" scenes. They are works of art which excite!  That is what is missing today. The "Exciting" element to it. We need that back! :D  (It has not gone. It has been delayed?)

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Day 12

Anyone notice how short that shunter is?

He must be smaller than 4 foot tall!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat said:

Just to ammend... When I see those lovely Triang trainset boxes, they "Paint" scenes. They are works of art which excite!  That is what is missing today. The "Exciting" element to it. We need that back! :D  (It has not gone. It has been delayed?)

I don't know. I feel the modern ones do it just as well. I know these aren't Hornby and are train packs. But they certainly fit in with that "exciting" idea of the old painting/poster.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 8

Those illustratons are good, and certainly better than non-doctored photos (I'm thinking that these are software modified photos), but a few clouds and fields don't quite cut it when compared with the mountains of wherever on the Feightmaster box, or the grim industrial flavour of the one today.

Some of the other suppliers, Mettoy and Chad Valley for instance, were giving lavish box art a last hurrah c1960, better even than Triang, but that is really out of thread-scope. Hornby Dublo was always a bit "buttoned-up" art-wise, although their catalogue covers were good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

I have (Or had if I don't still have it) a Triang class 31 body (Does not have a power bogie) somewhere that is of the "Toffeeapple" design that does not have the headcode boxes. I have not seen another like this. Is it rare?

It's not as made by Tri-ang unless it's the TT model.

• Agree 3

The RS.43 Diesel Freight Clockwork Starter Set locomotive came in various colours.

I have seen it in red, blue, and a light green...I think there are other colours too...

The Clockwork loco is non reversing, and only runs cab first, so only the one coupling is fitted.

The mechanism is the same as used in the steam locos, but with a shorter brake lever. The spring fits into the cab on the diesel loco, it is inside the boiler on the steam locos, with the brake lever through the cab roof.

Some have BR late crest emblems, but all have no number.

Some variations have coupling rods fitted, these use different wheels, with provision for the crank pin.

RS.43 Train Set (Clockwork) C1962 Blue Loco.

As on the box lid. (But with red wheels.)

DCP10705.jpg.23802c5fd2869ad8a2809038f8273d9f.jpg

E2942E17-792B-450B-A188-FD9B45F62A30.jpeg.61958437dae73a487163372a50424917.jpeg

F7A6215B-254B-4C07-9FD6-656FB1F9EE2C.jpeg.b52be7e629d45dd8c42c5f7326bc4ff0.jpeg

RS.43 Train Set (Clockwork) Red Loco.

541CD0CD-532B-4E30-B4F5-C81B36A40A09.jpeg.679ec43849bbbe3c3a5844b7dd832bfe.jpeg

B7E8F4F4-6602-484A-B6D3-A54BF7C84DDA.jpeg.2268b66c5358e2fd7663e14daa2c62cc.jpeg

The RS.71 Train Set (Electric). This used the same box as the RS.43 Clockwork Set, but with 'RS.71' round self adhesive labels over the 'RS.43' printed roundels.

2111889663_TRStarterSetBox.jpg.91d47a7469f9b8b92059aaa9a4aa1b9d.jpg

39FA06A9-D367-4A21-8A6F-DFE4B2F8AE10.jpeg.8168940a103c8533137cfbe214bcf3c2.jpeg

The electric loco uses the 'Nellie' type chassis, first introduced for the Steeple Cab, and also used on the electric versions of the 'Top Tank' Starter Set Steam Loco, also made in Clockwork.

The elecric loco can reverse, and therefore has a coupling at each end. The Box Top illustration is of the Clockwork Loco.

The most common electric starter set colour is a mid blue. No numbers or logos.

2314B14A-387F-43B1-88AB-DAF5AA48411F.jpeg.273ae101792b4b5f8370c973e2d012b1.jpeg

The 4 wheel Diesel, the "North British" shunter, was also in the main range in BR green, as R.559.

This has the buffer heads fitted, they were not fitted to the starter set Locos, to cut the cost...this is the reason that the wagons are not numbered. They are, the open wagon,  R.10NP, and the brake van, R.16NP. Not Printed.

58A584C8-32DC-4E5C-8208-4AE693C4E748.jpeg.6847473f22051586c53615293bf5cf3f.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

image.png.2e6c3a11c93427c75be7cbff2f893c68.png

Day 13

Green for glory...glory days gone by, that is. This one I saved originally for the previous day but instead opted for the other one. Nevertheless, here we go!

This is the GWR Holden 101 Class 0-4-0T only one which was built and then scrapped years later. It's amazing how Hornby took a model like it and added it to their range for years and years to come like their long-running 'Smokey Joe' locomotive. The artwork looks way detailed than the toy-like model counter-part. If anyone wanting a super-detailed version is clever enough to either kit-bash, modify or even kit-build, be my guest.

This is like something out of a catalogue as well as a railway-themed educational book (even that's more interesting compared to models). Okay, maybe I sound a bit harsh to this veteran model, but in this day and age, modern companies like Dapol, Kernow and Locomotion should attempt this model in super-detail (without the many modifications and/or freelance or various liveries of other companies).

Call me lazy but there's not much to say about it except the introduction of this model, really. It does show how times have changed, really. So, I would consider it the GWR 145th-ish anniversary set...just so I can say something to make it all the more special.

N.B: Special thanks very much to everyone who liked my last post as well as agreeing with the stuff I said and special thanks to Ruffnut Thornston for providing image os the train set in question, thanks to BernardTPM for sharing a bit of trivia and thanks to Steamport Southport for sharing image of Bachmann's Train Pack artwork as well as the humorous image you find, I have a reason to believe that it's a production still from the live-action adaptation of Dudley Do-Right. Overall thanks to those who shared their memories, it really has built up the thread so farbut I may consider what to do with it after Christmas. Perhaps I should put it to a vote or something. Anyway, I will be back tomorrow with another review of some more Hornby artwork, bye for now!

• Like 10