Stations with Castles

MyRule1

• RMweb Gold

Oystermouth, when there was a railway there.  Morlais Castle was probably visible from one of the erstwhile Dowlais stations.  Dunster is in theory visible from Aberthaw, but by that reckoning there must be a good few visible from Snowdon Summit station.  Castell Coch is visible from the site of Pentyrch station. 

Can you see Pendennis from Falmouth station?

Edited by The Johnster

51 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Newport. Kidwelly. Harlech. Criccieth. Chepstow. Caerphilly (from Aber). 

Is Chepstow Castle visible from the station?  Don't recall seeing the station from the castle last time I was there (but wasn't looking for it specifically and it is quite a few years ago).  The station is on the other side of the ridge from the castle and the town buildings are in the way.

• RMweb Premium

Berwick Upon Tweed is my immediate thought . As I understand it the railway station directly at the end of the Royal Border Bridge is built  on the site of the Castle . There is or used to be a sign saying that the platform occupies the site of the great hall. The walls are still visible on the left of a northbound train .

Edinburgh and Stirling are two fairly obvious examples of castles visible from station .

Sorry just seen  folks had listed mine!   How about Newcastle at the end with all these diamond crossings 

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

Berwick Upon Tweed is my immediate thought . As I understand it the railway station directly at the end of the Royal Border Bridge is built  on the site of the Castle . There is or used to be a sign saying that the platform occupies the site of the great hall. The walls are still visible on the left of a northbound train .

Edinburgh and Stirling are two fairly obvious examples of castles visible from station .

800px-Berwick-upon-Tweed_station,_commem

Ben Brooksbank / Berwick-upon-Tweed station, commemorative plaque / CC BY-SA 2.0

Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0

• Like 2

Tutbury, although the station is actually in Hatton, so called Tutbury and Hatton, to also distinguish it from Hatton station on the other side of Birmingham. Had a very long, frustrating, discussion trying to explain that to a lady some time ago who'd bought an advance ticket from Hatton to Birmingham and couldn't understand why it wasn't valid from Tutbury!

Belvoir Castle can be seen from the Nottingham-Grantham line and would also have been visible from the GN and LNW joint line through the Vale.

Nottingham castle is visible from the line approaching Nottingham, although it's not really a castle now, rebuilt as a stately home.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

There is the apocryphal story of the America visitor who said that Conway Castle was spectacular but why did they build it so close to the railroad!

Usually said of Windsor - why was it built under the flight path so close to Heathrow?

26 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The Sandling Junction to Sandgate branch had a castle at Saltwood, and another at Sandgate

Sandgate was very interesting. The SER actually bought it, with the intention of converting it into the station for Sandling, with a view to the route going through to Folkstone Harbour (and eventually to a new Channel Tunnel). But Lord Elpus (I forget his actual name) scuppered all that by objecting, so the station for Sandgate was actually built way out west of Sandling, and the castle was sold.

So whilst the story is interesting, it would be a long stretch to suggest the station was anywhere near the castle!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Sandgate was very interesting. The SER actually bought it, with the intention of converting it into the station for Sandling, with a view to the route going through to Folkstone Harbour (and eventually to a new Channel Tunnel). But Lord Elpus (I forget his actual name) scuppered all that by objecting, so the station for Sandgate was actually built way out west of Sandling, and the castle was sold.

So whilst the story is interesting, it would be a long stretch to suggest the station was anywhere near the castle!!

I was brought up on the WR, Mike, where anything within a day's trek was considered 'close'. Wasn't it Lord Radnor, who owned (and probably still does) most of Folkestone, who stymied the SER's plans, as the proposed railway would pass between his residence and the beach. IIRC, he (or one of his descendants) was a director of the GWR.

One local pile that is definitely visible from the railway is Westenhanger Castle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bridgnorth on the SVR (also a cliff railway up the castle hill!)

The site of the Roman Fort in Manchester (Castlefield) is within sight of Deansgate and might have been visible from the L&M's station at Liverpool Road.

Scarborough?

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The short lived Came Down Halt (South of Dorchester) & probably Maiden Castle.

The Verne Citadel on Portland - I think would have been visible in the distance from the former Upwey Wishing Well Halt and much of the Portland Branch itself south of Rodwell and definitely from both iterations of the station serving Chiswell.

Sandsfoot and Portland Castles, adjacent the same branch too. Definitely yes to both from the train - possibly not from a station. Merchants Railway yes to both these also being visible but it had no passenger workings.

The Merchants Railway and Admiralty Railways on the Island would also have had fine views of the Citadel. (Now footpaths in all or part and still do!)

The Verne is a former Iron Age Castle further fortified.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember* if they can be seen from one another, but what about Leigh-on-Sea and Hadleigh Castle?

*It's been more than 50 years, well that's my excuse!

Edited by kevinlms
Missing letter

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Is Chepstow Castle visible from the station?  Don't recall seeing the station from the castle last time I was there (but wasn't looking for it specifically and it is quite a few years ago).  The station is on the other side of the ridge from the castle and the town buildings are in the way.

You have to go out on to the Gloucester end of the up platform, but yes. 

Knaresborough.  Probably Lincoln; the cathedral's just across the road from the castle and that is definitely visible from the station, and most of the city. 

Not sure about sight lines due to recent building but Pontefract Monkhill is only a hundred metres or so from the North walls of the castle and Baghill about four hundred to the south. Had not the good citizens voted for demolition after the third siege in the Civil War, the castle would probably been visible from Tanshelf as well. In its full splendor this was a structure to make the Welsh castles look like small outlying security posts.