Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Roll on 1st April.    

Even so, we then have another 2 years to wait until the product(s) are released..... Didn’t Rapido tease it was for the 70th anniversary in 2023?

How many pages of froth between now and then :-)

5 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Hi Chris

I hesitate to correct a luminary such as yourself(!) but based upon my copy of your article I am pretty certain it was Bert Harris (driver to fireman Bob Stride at the time of the film) that you interviewed. In fact you did both myself and posterity a huge favour, in that I had given you his contact details when you visited me at Limpley Stoke station all those years ago. I fully intended to speak to him myself, but whereas I never got around to it, you did, resulting in your very fine article.

This picture, which came to me  from Harold Alford's grandson, shows Bert Harris and Bob Stride either side of George Relph and Hugh Griffith.

All of which we might be able to recreate more easily in 4mm scale in the future....

Very Best Wishes to you

Simon Castens

1-24.jpg

You're probably right. I've reached that age where remembering names is not difficult, it just doesn't happen. I also never kept file copies of most of the magazines I've worked on, so I couldn't look it up. (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Even so, we then have another 2 years to wait until the product(s) are released..... Didn’t Rapido tease it was for the 70th anniversary in 2023?

How many pages of froth between now and then :-)

Hoping for a late 2022 release to ensure everything is on shelves throughout 2023 myself!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, a little late but what splendid news. 

We shall wait and see what pops out but lots of subjects to choose from, anyone of which are attractive and likely to frequent Chateau Sheep on release. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, dibber25 said:

You're probably right. I've reached that age where remembering names is not difficult, it just doesn't happen. I also never kept file copies of most of the magazines I've worked on, so I couldn't look it up. (CJL)

I don't know about that Chris, for myself I have always been good at forgetting things and coming to the wrong conclusions and you have a few years on me...

As far as keeping file copies of magazines you have worked on goes, well that would be a Herculean task for anyone, simply on the basis that you have produced so very much over so many years.

I have very much enjoyed your writings in magazines, books and on RMweb. An enduring personal favourite book is your "The Western Before Beeching" from 1990, ( I have just taken it off my shelf and enjoyed it again) then there were your brilliant MRC covers, GWR stations drawings books, too many articles to list, your ongoing involvement with Model Rail, the Model Rail commissions, and also your innovative CJL products. Finally your priceless recollections of Alan Williams and early days with Ian Allan that you have shared with us all on RMweb. And I will have missed lots of other good things off that list.

I don't think Ian Allan appreciated you half as much as they should have done, which says much more about them than it does about you!

Apologies for the thread drift, I just felt the need to record my appreciation of what you have done for the hobby.

As Mr Valentine exhorted

Roll on my beauty!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 11/03/2021 at 10:25, Captain Kernow said:

Apologies, what I meant was that I was hoping not to see yet another 14XX, on which the chassis is effectively a motor bogie, with side rods that just flail around aimlessly and don't do any actual work.

But in the age of remote control Mars rovers and the ability to fly drones on another planet, it is surely not too much to ask that RTR manufacturers supply well-running locomotives, driven on one axle, on which the side rods also do the job that they were meant to to?

(which Rapido have certainly done with the 16XX, of course, it's just the complexity of the 'whole loco build' that I have expressed reservations about. They generally run very well, have decent motors and the side rods do the job that Churchward, Collett and Hawksworth intended!)

My only personal experience of steam locos with a chassis designed like a motor bogie is the DJM 14XX, but in model railway terms, that was a sufficiently disagreeable experience to put me off the genre for good.

I precede you on that. On my DJM O2, the side rods flail around, not staying horizontal as they should. I only had to see a video of the DJM 14XX with the rods flailing to put me off. I checked the DJM Austerities and found that they did not have articulated rods and consequently, I hoped, would stay horizontal. There were other problems with the Austerities, some of which have been faithfully carried over to the EFE version. My plan was to try one Austerity before purchasing others but I’m afraid I was led astray by prettiness. Some of the colourful liveries are very nicely applied and, oddly, they seem to run acceptably. When the pre-order finally turned up, it was the only one which persists in running in a series of jerks. If the main range version had turned up first, I’d have missed out on some very pretty little locos.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I precede you on that. On my DJM O2, the side rods flail around, not staying horizontal as they should. I only had to see a video of the DJM 14XX with the rods flailing to put me off. I checked the DJM Austerities and found that they did not have articulated rods and consequently, I hoped, would stay horizontal. There were other problems with the Austerities, some of which have been faithfully carried over to the EFE version. My plan was to try one Austerity before purchasing others but I’m afraid I was led astray by prettiness. Some of the colourful liveries are very nicely applied and, oddly, they seem to run acceptably. When the pre-order finally turned up, it was the only one which persists in running in a series of jerks. If the main range version had turned up first, I’d have missed out on some very pretty little locos.

I bought an O2 to back-date to Drummond condition. 

No flailing detected, but it waddles like an inebriated duck! 

• Informative/Useful 1

I think for those worried about rods and gear drive, you need to look at what Rapido have already built.  They have an example of an 4-6-4 where they used both...so seek out some video on Youtube of the Rapido Royal Hudson, or perhaps see if you can see one in person in action.

The suggestion of a geared 0-4-2 running as a 0-6-0 makes a lot of sense to me.  I'm well aware of how lightfooted a 14xx is in larger size- I just sent my dad out to measure his for track gauge.  (it's a 7.25" gauge one...which I'm contemplating if it will run on 7.5", and the answer appears to be "yes" ).  

Further to the topic here, I sent Jason a message asking to confirm that this is a real announcement, and suggesting that perhaps they want to change the release time to 12:30 on April 1st to make it clear this is not a joke.  I am sure they have a range of stuff that was supposed to happen, and that Hornby's announcement has spurred on the initial release.

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, peach james said:

I think for those worried about rods and gear drive, you need to look at what Rapido have already built.  They have an example of an 4-6-4 where they used both...so seek out some video on Youtube of the Rapido Royal Hudson, or perhaps see if you can see one in person in action.

The suggestion of a geared 0-4-2 running as a 0-6-0 makes a lot of sense to me.  I'm well aware of how lightfooted a 14xx is in larger size- I just sent my dad out to measure his for track gauge.  (it's a 7.25" gauge one...which I'm contemplating if it will run on 7.5", and the answer appears to be "yes" ).  

Further to the topic here, I sent Jason a message asking to confirm that this is a real announcement, and suggesting that perhaps they want to change the release time to 12:30 on April 1st to make it clear this is not a joke.  I am sure they have a range of stuff that was supposed to happen, and that Hornby's announcement has spurred on the initial release.

James

You might have problems attempting to run a 7 1/4 loco on 7 1/2 track if there are turnouts involved. The back to back measurement may well be too tight.

Just now, Denbridge said:

You might have problems attempting to run a 7 1/4 loco on 7 1/2 track if there are turnouts involved. The back to back measurement may well be too tight.

It's going to be a home track, with no turnouts planned...  allegedly, it is possible to run both, but requires very tight tolerances through the turnout.  (like 7.510 or similar...).  The engine was built in Ontario, which is 7.25", and I live out in BC, where it is 7.5".  So... if it works, good, if it wasn't going to work, FIDO.   

is the thread for it here :)

1 hour ago, peach james said:

James

Jason responded to me, and said "I can't say a thing, as it would be stepping on the toes of the UK team".             

Ah well, not like the world will end if it is a joke :)  (I got taken in 2001 by one...).  Worst is we're out some ego & disturbed electrons, no $ so far :)  (and we get Lion either way...)

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peach james said:

Jason responded to me, and said "I can't say a thing, as it would be stepping on the toes of the UK team".             

Ah well, not like the world will end if it is a joke :)  (I got taken in 2001 by one...).  Worst is we're out some ego & disturbed electrons, no $ so far :)  (and we get Lion either way...)

James

He wouldn’t have said anything to you anyway........it would spoil it either way ;)

Edited by boxbrownie

13 hours ago, peach james said:

James

My money is on this being for real.  The question is what? I'm thinking 4mil and Thunderbolt for sure. That would seem to dictate we get the coach body on the well wagon.  The 'bus seems an obvious choice for Rapido. 

db291c860c345fd9b3287d9d5948e0f4.jpg.933616b3d181eed0baf1ddba3fce37d2.jpg

Toad? Well it would go nicely with their GPV, but Hornby do a Toad to modern standards. What is the diagram used in the film and is it different? But you'd need the Toad for either train, so I guess this must be included.

W&U coach seems logical, as it fits with their MR J70, but whether the original 14XX train is to be modelled is uncertain.

If a 14XX were planned, I'd welcome it. That seems less likely, to me, given the existence of one to modern standards, albeit one flawed by 'the curse of DJM'.  I would certainly buy one if they also realised a pukka pre-war condition 4800, as opposed to a 1940s one in pre-1936 livery, which is what Hattons did.  

The way the Stirling Single was engineered to drive off the trailing axles as well as the 'driving' wheels was masterly and fills me with noting but confidence.  

Would we get 1'76 scale figures based on the characters in the film?

For me that would be a wonderful addition, and one that would breath life into the range.  Who would not want a 1/76 engine driving bishop on their model railway?  (well, I would).

Perhaps Rapido might, echoing Paul Lunn's film-based layout plans series in MR, include 1950s film crew?

It is easy to get carried away.  Who knows how extensive such a range might be.  I suspect we will see at least the 3 items pictured above, but hopefully more.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

If a 14XX were planned, I'd welcome it. That seems less likely, to me, given the existence of one to modern standards, albeit one flawed by 'the curse of DJM'.  I would certainly buy one if they also realised a pukka pre-war condition 4800, as opposed to a 1940s one in pre-1936 livery, which is what Hattons did.  

The way the Stirling Single was engineered to drive off the trailing axles as well as the 'driving' wheels was masterly and fills me with noting but confidence.  

Problem is, if Rapido are planning a 14xx, it will presumably match the one in the film rather than the as-built condition you desire, though it's quite likely they would tool for variations to widen its sales potential.

How soon do you think Hornby will announce their full-fat version of that.....:devil:

Unless I've missed it, the Railroad model seems absent from the 2021 catalogue.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Problem is, if Rapido are planning a 14xx, it will presumably match the one in the film rather than the as-built condition you desire, though it's quite likely they would tool for variations to widen its sales potential.

Yes, I agree.  I was speculating whether, on the back of any 14XX matching the film, Rapido might think to go where Hattons didn't, by tooling for early condition. Though that adds expensive tooling slides, it would at least result in a version that Hattons' range does not genuinely cover.

Just now, Dunsignalling said:

How soon do you think Hornby will announce their full-fat version of that.....:devil:

Mr Kohler might answer as did Frederick in Pirates of Penzance, "I would if I could but I am not able"

I assume that the Hattons 14XX came in before the Duplication For Spite policy became firmly established at Margate, though, perhaps, it contributed to its formation. I mean, the former Airfix, later Dapol, 14XX model was every bit as much a Hornby model "always in our range" as the 1989 Dapol Terrier!

Anyway, an Oxford Rail quality 14XX would surely lose out to a DJM one, let alone one from Rapido!

I still like Stephen Lea's idea of other manufacturers announcing stuff randomly (with no intention of ever making it), just to see if Hornby then announces same!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unless I've missed it, the Railroad model seems absent from the 2021 catalogue.

I was unaware of that.  I do buy the old 14XXs for bashing and bodging (both the Dapol and Hornby produced ones), but would never buy one new when so many are available for so much less second-hand, so, no, I have not kept up with the model's Railroad career.

Whether that has any significance, who knows. I think Hornby moved it to Railroad some time ago, without, of course, replacing it in the main range.  This contrasts with the Dapol Terrier, which, I believe, Hornby moved to Railroad only after introducing its new Terrier in the main range.  

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I was unaware of that.  I do buy the old 14XXs for bashing and bodging (both the Dapol and Hornby produced ones), but would never buy one new when so many are available for so much less second-hand, so, no, I have not kept up with the model's Railroad career.

Whether that has any significance, who knows. I think Hornby moved it to Railroad some time ago, without, of course, replacing it in the main range.  This contrasts with the Dapol Terrier, which, I believe, Hornby moved to Railroad only after introducing its new Terrier in the main range.  

The Railroad Terrier also seems to have gone AWOL....

John

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Railroad Terrier also seems to have gone AWOL....

John

Interesting. Because Hornby made its new Terrier so relatively inexpensive, the price differential between it and the newly Railroaded old model was not great; no one in their right mind, unless buying for a cack-handed toddler, would have bought the old version at the price Hornby was asking in preference to buying the new one. Perhaps that killed it? 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, peach james said:

Rapido appear to have mastered the gear drive. One issue for gear drive is having sufficient play/slop to allow the wheel some for form of differential to go around corners. This goes against the gear fit, that kit builders try to achieve, but if too tight, the wheels just keep going straight on, ride over the rail, when negotiating a curve, especially short radius curves. The motor bogies on my diesel models all appear to have some play in the gears. On single gear drive steam locos this play/slop is in the connecting rods/pins.

As an alternative, my old K's has a new set of frames. The rear pony is rigid with minimal side play but the 4 coupled drive section is on a pivoted subframe, so it that can float up an down with additional weight above it, allowing maximum contact with the track. Like a separate motor bogie set between the frames. There is sufficient play in the compensation spindle to allow some side play on a 2ft Peco point. It works for me.

I am no fan of compensation, and do not use it as a rule, but I needed some way to stop the weight of the body pivoting on the rear driving wheel.

What ever is produced, 1401 does NOT have the topfeed, providing the potential for a quick, kitchen table, 1930's 48XX adaaption

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Would we get 1'76 scale figures based on the characters in the film?

There's some dots that can be joined in the skillset within the business which may provide some clues. ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

One issue for gear drive is having sufficient play/slop to allow the wheel some for form of differential to go around corners. This goes against the gear fit, that kit builders try to achieve, but if too tight, the wheels just keep going straight on, ride over the rail, when negotiating a curve, especially short radius curves.

The slip is in the wheel - rail interface not the gears, or coupling rods would get rather interesting. While you could have separate axle drive on a diesel that meant axles could slip at different rates you can’t have a differential with a solid axle. 
Wheels riding up is far more likely to be an incorrect cone or flange profile gripping too much otherwise finely engineered kit and rtr locos would be coming off everywhere and sloppy gear trains are just more noisy. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What is the diagram used in the film and is it different? But you'd need the Toad for either train, so I guess this must be included.

I can't make out the number from Youtube clips, but I think it is an AA20. (Someone with a DVD might be able to spot it better.)

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2021 at 17:27, rapidoandy said:

“I know where I can get an(other) engine, any time I want” – from Rapido Trains!

290290477_Poster-Ammended.jpg.26ecb46212a46a8b55bb34553a7cfbe6.jpg

Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.

The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film.

Full details of the range will be announced on Thursday 1st April at 12:00. 

Perhaps the recent interest in early (Era One) models will prompt an re-issue of "Der Adler",

image.png.abcbc14ad44e297e02b289b9c9c28852.png

Or some of the Bachmann early US locomotives?

image.png.e7bbf410b02e8c82615f5f86295bb2e5.png

image.png.b3edf17f80eddffdccaf73e270bc0a4f.png

jch

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Toadwise, W68740 is an AA20, qv my article and model in MRJ 261.

The "other" one may be slightly different, which was of course also numbered as W68740 for the film.

Which most probably creates an Escher like nit pickers conundrum......

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5