Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Vicky came to the throne in 1837.  In a sentence you have consigned Stockton and Darlington, Liverpool and Manchester and a myriad of colliery line to have not existed pre-Victoria.

hello Andy. Your post rather makes my point. Just goes to show how people mix up eras.  Remember that a slight spelling mistake with Eras can land you on your ar$e... 

Tootle Pip!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry but WD n.g. in the Great War would be era 1d and Arthurs and Castles would presumably fall into Era 2 and  various later Eras for both but particularly the 'Castles which were built over along period and changed in detail over that time.  Similarly the Arthurs changed in some details and in livery.  So for the 'Castles' you need at least 4 different eras for the period prior to nationalisation and another 3 or 4 for the period after nationalisation once you take into account differences in lubricators, chimneys, and superheaters.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Each country has it's own generalised banding of eras. The Germans finish Era 1 when they are nationalised into Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen which was 1 April 1920. The French end Era 1 in 1926 when the regional companies start to be rationalised. The Poles end Era 1 in 1918 when Poland comes back into existence. In British terms it would be 1923 when the Big four are created.

The first Castle was delivered in '23 (my error). A better example would be GNR A1 of '22 and the LSWR N15 of '18.

The purpose of the Era's is just a guide for the less well informed, for the beginner / intermediate modeller. Experience modellers with a particular interest will know specific things that will matter to them.

Luke

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

Knowing Jason's interests, it's probably the bus...

They d'ay av OBs in Brummagem. But we did have one on rural bus services where I grew up 

Along with an old Olympian, a low-roofed Guy Arab IV and other oddities. The bus timetable centred around stops at village pubs.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

And apart from where they are placed, you also have to think about the characters that go with them.

Colin's bus had a character, Curmudgeonly Colin. Seen here in a lighter moment at Titfield, most probably contemplating life, the next gear change and a pint of Gem down at the saloon....

Unlike Pearce or Crump however, Colin likes trains. He could frequently be seen piloting such things on the West Somerset until last year's disruption.

All aboard!

Colin.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We were going to hire the OB from Lodge Coaches for our daughters wedding, until we found out that they couldn’t carry passengers at night due to insurance and dim lighting conditions :wacko:..........

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Tim V said:

I thought this was a model railway forum, it's more like a bus forum:D

I have more than a suspicion that one of the best selling 'vehicles' from a range of models based around 'The  Titfield Thunderbolt' is likely to be that Bedford OB (hopefully in a variety of liveries?).   And equally hopefully Rapido Andy has several lined up for research purposes and Jason will be happy to make a model of a 'bus that wasn't used on stage carriage services in Birmingham (someone will now find an example).    It is one potential in that range which would be suitable for every  body irrespective pf the area they model and OBs were quite long lived with private operators.

• Like 4

There have been 3 good OB models, in many liveries, already produced RTP though. EFE, OOC, and one of the partworks with I believe a Corgi model, the latter  produced t 1:72 scale.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
typos
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The OB was done to death by both Corgi (OOC) and EFE during the die-cast bus boom - it reached the point where you couldn't give the things away. Whilst a Rapido standard model will, no doubt, be a thing of beauty for those who just want something to plonk in place a cheap die-cast will do the job and, given a little fettle, they can scrub up quite well.

Edit: Posted at the same time as the above.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Off topic, but there seems to be no lack of '50s-'60s 'bus models already, as one would expect given the nostalgia driven popularity of the Nationalised railway.  Where there is relatively little is Grouping-Era 'buses, specifically anything between the Wars. The old whitemetal kit ranges are mostly long gone. The Diecast boom boomed and went silent before it did more than scratch the surface of motor transport in the '20s and '30s.

Just sayin' 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Off topic, but there seems to be no lack of '50s-'60s 'bus models already, as one would expect given the nostalgia driven popularity of the Nationalised railway.  Where there is relatively little is Grouping-Era 'buses, specifically anything between the Wars. The old whitemetal kit ranges are mostly long gone. The Diecast boom boomed and went silent before it did more than scratch the surface of motor transport in the '20s and '30s.

Just sayin' 

I thought you'd only want horses on the front of 'em! :rolleyes:

The pre-war model PSV scene Isn't a complete desert, so long as you don't want anything pre-1927.

EFE have done Leyland Tiger TS8 single deckers and coaches, and the same with AEC radiators, plus the Titan TD1. All were in production from 1927 to around 1942 and, unless you look closely, the appearance of many types didn't really change much from the mid-thirties to the late 1950s. 

I can remember small operators squeezing the last few pennies-worth of work out of pre-war Tigers and Regals in the early 1960s. At the time, I didn't really consider them as old or interesting as I should have. 

John

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Jason will be happy to make a model of a 'bus that wasn't used on stage carriage services in Birmingham (someone will now find an example).

As joked by several Rapido empoyees during a recent Facebook Q&A, Photoshop is your friend (in their case getting prototypes onto the Kingston Sub in late 1980).