Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

5 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

You mean the curved part behind the smokebox. I think thats there on the real thing. Just normally it's hidden behind the longer tanks they have now.

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

It is there, but not quite the shape modelled, but on most versions it doesn't really show.

Roy

It was not there during the time when it was fitted with square sandpots. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I had the opportunity to get my Earl of Merioneth out for a test run last night. I was a bit worried it had been an expensive impulse purchase but after getting used to how it drives and having had a thorough try of all the sounds I have to say I'm very impressed.

Here's a short clip of the loco shunting around:

I particularly like how the whistles work - you can give a little 'toot' before you set off, having triggered the drain cocks to 'on' to give a characteristic hissing as the loco gets going.

As Paul noted in his post earlier, the driving experience is quite different to other locos, particularly if you're used to DC. It took me a while to work out that F2 (brake function) doubles up as a sound and a means to slow the loco. For best results you need to crank the speed up what feels like quite a lot to set off and then shut off the speed well before you want to stop, before applying the brakes a little at a time. If you hold down F2 you do stop quite quickly.

All in all it's a much more engaging experience than you get from other locos. I'd say if you're unsure whether to spend the extra on the sound option, but can afford it, then go for it - I suspect you won't regret it.

I haven't tried it on DC yet but will get around to that at some point.

Fairlie.jpg.294c20d064668da99a69a36bbbbbc963.jpg

Finally here's a picture of the loco on my (part complete) layout. She certainly looks at home in the mountains. It also looks like she might just fit under the bridges and tunnels that were designed for N scale RhB metre gauge locos with pantographs!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

On 30/11/2021 at 20:37, Edge said:

Been contacted about my choice of 009 wagon for the collectors club today, so suspect that both the carriage and my ‘David Lloyd George’ will be dispatched presently

I had contact a couple of weeks ago for my wagon.  DLlG arrived last week and still no sign of the wagon or membership pack.  

2 minutes ago, Bomp said:

I had contact a couple of weeks ago for my wagon.  DLlG arrived last week and still no sign of the wagon or membership pack.  

I assume people have replied to the email? It didn't actually say whether to reply to the email or call the office. Still waiting on mine anyhow 

Also, still waiting on my DLG 

17 minutes ago, Bomp said:

My DLG arrived yesterday. Am currently in the midst of a COVID Infection so couldn’t get on here to say so. I responded to the email so I’m expecting my membership pack and wagon in the not too distant future

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 29/11/2021 at 21:07, Butler Henderson said:

Successfully around a 192mm (7 1/2 inch) curve

IMG_20211129_210216659~2.jpg

For anyone wanting the same Scograil are selling a circle of Fleischman track for £5 + £3 postage.

https://www.scograil.co.uk/fleischmann-9120-8-n-gauge-curve-radius-1-x-8-23490-p.asp

Ordering some flex was a bit confusing with Derails saying only Postie would  handle such and not DPD but Hattons the exact opposite.

So I’ve bought my sound fitted DCC Fairlie, the first 009 loco for over 40 years, having run it on my home made dc controllers it has not been successful being unable to control at low speed although on my 00 Layout the Bachman sound fitted DCC Blue Pullman performs fine on the same controller. So can anyone please advise me on the best DCC controller for my needs, I plan on building an approximately 5 foot by 2 foot 6 inch layout based on Tan-y-Bwlch with hopefully 6 to 8 locos.

Edited by bubbles2
Spelling.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

So I’ve bought my sound fitted DCC Fairlie, the first 009 loco for over 40 years, having run it on my home made dc controllers it has not been successful being unable to control at low speed although on my 00 Layout the Bachman sound fitted DCC Blue Pullman performs fine on the same controller. So can anyone please advise me on the best DCC controller for my needs, I plan on building an approximately 5 foot by 2 foot 6 inch layout based on Tan-y-Bwlch with hopefully 6 to 8 locos.

We found that with Gaugemaster controllers too on a friends layout. The chip uses the first 4-5v to power up the sound and then that means the full range of speed control is now in half the turn of the dial. 
The simple solution we found was to put a long handle on the knob, (with tape in our case as it was temporary), to give more finesse to the control and then we got reasonable control. So try a temporary long handle?

This was the result on dc on Tim’s layout with Baldwins fitted with the same Zimo chip. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrTea said:

The cab of my Fairlie looks a little bit empty. Does anyone know if there are any suitable figures available in 4mm scale? And is there space to add a crew?

Well there’s space, which crew will fit it is another matter ;)

I’ve ordered a whitemetal crew from Pete Goss’ range to try that. On the Baldwins adding a whitemetal crew was a useful way to add a little weight. 
I’ll report back once they are here and I’ve seen if they will fit these, if not they go in some OO locos :) 

https://petegossrailwaymodelling.bigcartel.com/products

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I think a Driver is a must to hide the fact the reverser is stuck in Mid gear. How long until accurate moving reversers become the norm! :D

Cab equipment not being set for a loco in use is the norm unfortunately. Even Accurascale's impressive Manor seem to have no boiler pressure...

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I think a Driver is a must to hide the fact the reverser is stuck in Mid gear. How long until accurate moving reversers become the norm! :D

Across the cob, Merddin will run in mid gear, even with a train. Admittedly it won’t start the train like that. 

Surely you can find space for a tiny servo or memory wire gadget to set the reverser appropriately? 

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Even Accurascale's impressive Manor seem to have no boiler pressure...

Roy

It probably wasn't in steam when they 3D scanned it!

19 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well there’s space, which crew will fit it is another matter ;)

Probably true of the prototype too ...  I have noticed in old photos of loco crews that the more portly gentleman of the two is the driver, it's the fireman who gets all the exercise of shoveling coal!

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It probably wasn't in steam when they 3D scanned it!

They did it the old fashioned way according to the chaps there when it was measured. No scanners ;) 

Ultimately it would look odder in reverse when going forward, or vice versa, than in mid gear ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB