Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

On the subject of Drax wagons, I have had an email from Kernow saying that at the moment they can only commit to supplying one of each wagon to people who have pre ordered, BUT they also say Honrby have confirmed they are investigating increasing the production run.

I would be really interested to know how many they have decided to make, see what percentage of them we are fighting over!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

On the subject of Drax wagons, I have had an email from Kernow saying that at the moment they can only commit to supplying one of each wagon to people who have pre ordered, BUT they also say Honrby have confirmed they are investigating increasing the production run.

Two each is still a bit short of a prototypical train,its a start i guess,any advance on two.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Two each is still a bit short of a prototypical train,its a start i guess,any advance on two.

Well, if you can get your hands on a third from somewhere else:

66774 Heck Ings 18th January 2020

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well, if you can get your hands on a third from somewhere else:

66774 Heck Ings 18th January 2020

I fear that a lot of people are going to order one of each from a number of shops and then cancel orders once they have the number they want. That leaves the shops with unsold stock which is not good although in this case they probably would sell the excess fairly easily. The other alternative is that people who are lucky enough to get hold of more than they need will then hope to make a profit on eBay

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

I fear that a lot of people are going to order one of each from a number of shops and then cancel orders once they have the number they want. That leaves the shops with unsold stock which is not good although in this case they probably would sell the excess fairly easily. The other alternative is that people who are lucky enough to get hold of more than they need will then hope to make a profit on eBay

I think there are plenty of people still wanting to get an order in for these by the sounds of it. I'll admit I have ordered more than I need with exactly what has happened in mind, but I will still buy them if they all come. I want at least 8 but if I get 10 or maybe 12 then I'd still run them or sell them at a fair price to somebody who I trust not to profiteer on them.

• Like 2

I currently have an issue on the website where I can add one of the new items to my basket but my basket remains empty. 

I have to select to pre-order it from the search results page to actually order it. 

Cheers,

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I would be really interested to know how many they have decided to make, see what percentage of them we are fighting over!

I've decided to cancel, so Kernow will have 1 of each spare to sell.

Additionally I had 1 each at Derails, I will advise them to release it too.

if you can’t place an order on monday and see it still secure by friday, in the first week if the year.. then whats the point.. I dont believe much of it will appear in 2022, and there is a every chance of another 2-3 10% price hikes to follow before it does show up.

Ive spent a large part of the week scrambling to place orders for all manner of stuff that jumps into and out of stock at a whim. Its not just drax.

Ive canceled £2.5k of Hornby orders tonight with Kernow, and sent an email ive invited them to share with their Hornby rep. I am reviewing my £3ks worth of Hornby.com orders too. Its only a hobby if its fun. 

i will do without, i’m not playing this game. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I would be really interested to know how many they have decided to make

At a guess, around seven?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Isn't the chase part of the fun? 

I’ll be doing that this weekend watching the last class 456 services.

(I know some dont like units, but around here, the unit-scape is going to change quite a bit this year.. 455s are off too), indeed SWR is going to be a bit void of rolling stock if the 701’s dont shape up soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

In Scoonie Hobbies this afternoon and Steve the owner confirmed production has been increased and his allocation upped by Hornby but he has had many enquiries so possibly him and other will have these spoken for already

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I have been checking the Hornby website several times over the past few days and items are switching between out of stock and in stock, pretty much constantly. Sometimes the listings for the 2022 range go from not showing at all on search results to then showing. So to anyone wanting to pre-order directly from Hornby I wouldn't worry because this appears to be technical issues with the website. I really wish Hornby would sort the website out because it's becoming more and more difficult to try and plan what you want to buy and pre-order when you don't actually know if items are in stock or not. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

potentially its not a technical issue with the website as such, but perhaps intended behaviour ? maybe they are gating stock release, either to avoid fastest finger first nabbing everything or kind of filling future production runs up as the orders roll in.

as I mean some of the stuff in the 2022 line we can be fairly confident wont be seen till 2023 at the earliest given they havent even show protypes of quite alot of it yet, so its unlikely to have been manufactured in any quantity yet plus with the backlog from 20 & 21 to cover, so controlling pre-orders like this almost guarantees Hornby get to fill their manufacturing slots with what the customers are demanding most of rather than over or under estimating.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think there are plenty of people still wanting to get an order in for these by the sounds of it.

I'm one of those "wanting to order some" people, but I absolutely can not be bothered with ordering two from here, two from there, two from elsewhere... I got excited about being able to get some (I missed out on the Hattons run) with the initial Hornby announcement, but life is too short for chasing around dozens of shops for ones and twos, I have other things I'd rather be spending my time on :umbrage:

I will also be unimpressed if when ebay is full of "new, unused" Drax wagons a few weeks after release, too...

Edited by Tugs
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Tugs said:

I'm one of those "wanting to order some" people, but I absolutely can not be bothered with ordering two from here, two from there, two from elsewhere...

Well currently my state of play is I have 2 pairs off one shop, 1 pair of 2 other shops to get my "minimum requirement" of 8. 2 shops have cut me down from 2 pairs to 1.

I have wanted some of these for ages so I am sticking to my guns for now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I used to spend it on women, but trains dont answer back

:lol:

And trains (almost) always move the way you want when you turn them on.  Edit: will willingly remove if this is over the line....

Edited by proton
  • Funny 8

20 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well currently my state of play is I have 2 pairs off one shop, 1 pair of 2 other shops to get my "minimum requirement" of 8. 2 shops have cut me down from 2 pairs to 1.

I have wanted some of these for ages so I am sticking to my guns for now.

And I respect you for the determination/effort! Its not for me, however, so I have resigned to my fate (of not having this type of wagon) unless Hornby changes their methodology.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tugs said:

And I respect you for the determination/effort! Its not for me, however, so I have resigned to my fate (of not having this type of wagon) unless Hornby changes their methodology.

I find it ridiculous if Hornby have judged the production quantities so tightly before any interest can be gathered, even from shops if not the general public. Most businesses would do anything to find a popular product that they can sell in quantity and make money and profit from. Hornby's answer ... we'll make limited numbers so buyers end up rationed to a wagon or two each a handful of days after a new catalogue is announced. Is that any way to run a business?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I find it ridiculous if Hornby have judged the production quantities so tightly before any interest can be gathered, even from shops if not the general public. Most businesses would do anything to find a popular product that they can sell in quantity and make money and profit from. Hornby's answer ... we'll make limited numbers so buyers end up rationed to a wagon or two each a handful of days after a new catalogue is announced. Is that any way to run a business?

Nope, but it's a direct result of their old school 'big bang' approach to new product announcements; it would make vastly more sense to establish demand before finalising production numbers but they won't do that it seems, so we end up with the current mess again and again.

• Agree 2

On 12/01/2022 at 23:35, newbryford said:

Why don't Hornby see the level of pre-orders from their dealers - and they will hopefully know their target buyers - and manufacture accordingly?

For that to be effective Hornby will need a strong network of dealers - from the so called box shifters who order in outer cases to the smaller ones who order in single figures.

Can't see that happening with their Tier System & current tactics.

Personally, I cannot see the corporate "dog eat dog" business model working in the realatively small model railway business.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2022 at 23:35, newbryford said:

Why don't Hornby see the level of pre-orders from their dealers - and they will hopefully know their target buyers - and manufacture accordingly?

Presumably (my assumption) they have to commit to production volumes well before (months / years?) the product announcement / dealer orders, so they can't adjust for unexpected demand (up or down). Back to the fundamental flaw in their current 'big bang' announcement approach.

• Agree 2