Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

Interestingly though Kernow is only showing 9 of them in stock. Smaller batch quantities for Railroad stuff, or selling better than we think...? 

Impossible to tell, but I would be surprised if there aren’t lots available in a few months time. The vast majority of modern image stuff seems to hang around these days. I now have an unofficial policy of not buying anything until at least six months after release when it can be available with significant discount. The exception is a small amount of stuff I really fancy - the rest well, if it sells out, it sells out and there’s always strike it lucky on eBay…..!

Come back on 25th June and we’ll see…..

In the meantime, Merry Christmas all! 🎄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/12/2023 at 15:35, Great Waterton said:

I'm a bit disappointed with this "new" 110 release because I've been looking forward to the blue and grey one. I'm a big fan of these older "models" and Railroad releases as previously mentioned but I would've hoped this one would have been nearer the £110 mark.

The decoration looks lovely (and in fact every recent Railroad / ex Lima release I've seen and bought have had the colours absolutely spot on, better than the main range!) but for that kind of money a simple set of working head and tail lamps could've been supplied. I appreciate this would mean altering the tooling slightly but even so... I don't run DCC so all the fancy stuff is lost on me but crikey, even some grain of wheat bulbs like the old 125s had would have been a start! 

Ive got the Hornby 110 in Green, Blue, white and Blue grey… i paid less than £110 for all combined. The blue two car was c£15 I recall… the white one no one wanted was c£20.

ive no reason to upgrade.

Roll forward 30 years since my last purchase, I guess 3 car for £100 isnt bad all things considered.

if they rubbed down the cab roof, extended the upper part of the front cab window they would be giving Heljan a run for its money.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got the Hornby 110 in Green, Blue, white and Blue grey… i paid less than £110 for all combined. The blue two car was c£15 I recall… the white one no one wanted was c£20.

ive no reason to upgrade.

Roll forward 30 years since my last purchase, I guess 3 car for £100 isnt bad all things considered.

if they rubbed down the cab roof, extended the upper part of the front cab window they would be giving Heljan a run for its money.

I've always considered it a nice model and remember thinking how well they'd captured the shape when it first came out. I too have the others and interestingly the white one has always been my favourite! I've no desire for another green one but I would like the Metro branded 2 car, just not at £135!

I've always assumed these have reappeared from Hornby thanks to Heljan's upcoming 104... 

Edited by Great Waterton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a Quick Look at the class 110 at work today. The Motor bogie is the Limby type. The chassis and bogie moulding has been altered to take it. The trailer bogies remain unchanged. Pressed metal tension locks still. The wheels are finer than in in Ringfield days but do have a wide edge to the tyre.

Edited by acg5324
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I had a Quick Look at the class 110 at work today. The Motor bogie is the Limby type. The chassis and bogie moulding has been altered to take it. The trailer bogies remain unchanged. Pressed metal tension locks still. The wheels are finer than in in Ringfield days but do have a wide edge to the tyre.

I suspected that might be the case. Haven't they don't similar with the ex Lima stuff? I'd have to dig out a recent tractor or duff to check. Thank you for reporting back. 😃

As an aside I'm quite happy with bigger wheels/flanges. I'd sooner have something that will run nicely than something so finely scaled that it looks wonderful but won't stay on the track for long periods. With this older stuff I can safely leave it running while I use the loo or get a drink etc and not return to find it derailed and just as an Intercity 125 ploughs into the side of it... 🤣 And the wheel edges are easy enough to paint if you do want to tone them down a bit. 

At the end of the day, all model railways and toy trains are a compromise anyway... 

Edited by Great Waterton
  • Like 4

Fancy converting your new blue/grey pair into a 3-car set........at a price? 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1417425/hornby_r2073_po11_class_110_diesel_multiple_unit_car_e59808_pre_owned_replacement_box/stockdetail

Could have been worse - apparently it's been knocked down from £78 (yes, seriously!) Methinks Hattons spotted an opportunity.........

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Would be nice if Hornby put out a TXS sound file for the 110. I can live in hope.

I wonder if they might consider doing a generic first generation DMU sound chip in TXS form. Could be fitted to the 101, 110, 121 and even the 117 in the unlikely event it's revived. 

It wouldn't be completely accurate of course but it's not supposed to be and for someone who would like a general representation... 

Edited by Great Waterton
Typed TTS instead of TXS
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Tried out both my new 110 DMUs today. As previously commented, new motor, but the other bogies are exactly the same. The new motor is *sort* of Limby, it’s actually different, small can motor at the top of a plastic tower (I guess the gears are inside) so a variation on the previously seen  Limbys (73,31,92) etc  

Smooth and sensible top speed. Slightly noisier than {73 etc} but good slow speed control. Would have been nice to have NEM though. It’s clearly an economy update. But still fair value, when one looks at some rather more expensive DMU models. 

Edited by miles73128
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

I wonder if they might consider doing a generic first generation DMU sound chip in TXS form. Could be fitted to the 101, 110, 121 and even the 117 in the unlikely event it's revived. 

It wouldn't be completely accurate of course but it's not supposed to be and for someone who would like a general representation... 

Not a bad idea as most used the same engines and transmissions (BUT AH590 and Wilson gearbox).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Tried out both my new 110 DMUs today. As previously commented, new motor, but the other bogies are exactly the same. The new motor is *sort* of Limby, it’s actually different, small can motor at the top of a plastic tower (I guess the gears are inside) so a variation on the previously seen  Limbys (73,31,92) etc  

Smooth and sensible top speed. Slightly noisier than {73 etc} but good slow speed control). Would have been nice to have NEM though. It’s clearly an economy update. But still fair value, when one looks at some rather more expensive DMU models. 

Excellent. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not a bad idea as most used the same engines and transmissions (BUT AH590 and Wilson gearbox).

Could be an idea, because I'd suggest that people buying budget sound chips won't be chasing 100 percent accuracy. Although I'm not sure Hornby would entertain the notion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

Most buyers of TXS chips would probably be more accepting of compromise and could potentially be used in other manufacturers DMUs too depending on pin count or wiring - 105, 108, 121, 122

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
On 28/12/2023 at 16:49, miles73128 said:

Smooth and sensible top speed. Slightly noisier than {73 etc} but good slow speed control. Would have been nice to have NEM though. It’s clearly an economy update. But still fair value, when one looks at some rather more expensive DMU models. 

Great info, thanks.

I asked Hornby if the motor bogie was going to be made available as a separate part so that owners of the previous versions of the 110 would be able to upgrade, but apparently it isn't. Slightly disappointing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid_Kneestone said:

Great info, thanks.

I asked Hornby if the motor bogie was going to be made available as a separate part so that owners of the previous versions of the 110 would be able to upgrade, but apparently it isn't. Slightly disappointing.

It may be worth keeping an occasional eye on 'Hornby Spares - drive units' at  Lendons of Cardiff over the coming months.......just in case.........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1