Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep you happy over the next few days mate.

attachicon.gifImg_0353.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0354.jpg

Bit more to do of course. However, I shall be getting on with this and the next Triplet (not yours) next week.

Philth

Oh, I can look at it on here as well now. :imsohappy: This is going to have pride of place on PN, I can assure you. It's just that it makes me think how much I would like some more! I shall now send some happy time deciding whether to put it in a fixed rake or have it available loose so I can run it whenever I like.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice shot!

Only a few things for me give it away - the signal that's there in the model and not the real photo, the signal that is there in the real photo and not in the model, the fence, the lack of chimney, and window heights. Other than that, it's bang on! It's amazing how close the model vs real shots get on Peterborough North!

The Hornby loco looks far better than my Bachmann version... Looks like a renumber of one of the Hornby Wild Swan Golden Eagle models is in order, as I particularly like the BR Blue ones even though they're a few years too early for my period. And after that to find a suitable green version as well!

Peter

*Edit - Hey, it's post 12000! And here's to the next 12,000!

The Hornby A4 is so much better than the Bachmann one Peter, hardly surprising as Bachmann's is the Trix mdel which goes back many years. The addition of some Klear as applied by Tim also gets rid of the peculiar shade of green that Hornby use, which is about the only thing IMO that lets the model down. Apologies for forgetting to confirm that * on those formations I sent you does indeed indicate a MK1 coach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've avoided golf since Monday, but I have to play in a match this afternoon, so I can only hope I have remembered how to play in the meantime. I've also tracked down the other shots of Hornby conversions, so here they are.

post-98-0-57746800-1469193205_thumb.jpg

BCK.

post-98-0-85941700-1469193328_thumb.jpg

and end door SK, to which I am particularly partial. I've done a standard Hornby thing too for comparative purposes.

post-98-0-53632500-1469193434_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The addition of some Klear as applied by Tim also gets rid of the peculiar shade of green that Hornby use, which is about the only thing IMO that lets the model down. Apologies for forgetting to confirm that * on those formations I sent you does indeed indicate a MK1 coach.

Is it just a coat of Klear, or some other work first?

Looks great!

• RMweb Premium

I've avoided golf since Monday, but I have to play in a match this afternoon, so I can only hope I have remembered how to play in the meantime. I've also tracked down the other shots of Hornby conversions, so here they are.

attachicon.gifcoach 4.JPG

BCK.

attachicon.gifcoach 6.JPG

and end door SK, to which I am particularly partial. I've done a standard Hornby thing too for comparative purposes.

attachicon.gifcoach 5.JPG

Love the Gresley conversions Gilbert. Do you happen to know the origin of the sides? I'm midway through an MJT CK and a Mousa BSK(5). I'm struggling to work out which I prefer. MJT's window drop lights with inbuilt hinges are very convenient, but the Mousa sides have drop lights ready installed and less soldering to do on the sides. I have to say the Hornby coach looks good as well from the side. I recognise the lack of turnunder, but this is not very visible in a rake of coaches. For me, I won't be replacing Hornby sides for the diagrams they make, just to increase the range. So I have a lot of Hornby side door SKs etc. running around with which I'm happy enough.

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 1

Today's edition of happenings at PN is dedicated to our band of regular contributors from the other side of the world, with a special mention for the young man who has spent so much time reading the whole thing from beginning to end. Here then is a very appropriate locomotive.

attachicon.gif12 1 small colour.jpg

This was taken in an attempt to get as close a match as possible to

attachicon.gif60012 small.jpg

and here is my black and white effort.

attachicon.gif12 1 small bw.jpg

I'll never get it exactly right, but I think a fair number of things are in about the right place. It does confirm the need to move Spital Bridge over though. It is also still confusing as to what was where in the DE depot. I reckon I have the correct building in the near background, but then that signal in front of it should be further down towards the bridge. The Down starter appearing behind the loco's chimney though is just down to the unavoidable compresion of length and width at this end of the layout. And I really should weather the signals, but I fear the consequences if I do that when it comes to photoshopping.

Superb

• RMweb Premium

Love the Gresley conversions Gilbert. Do you happen to know the origin of the sides? I'm midway through an MJT CK and a Mousa BSK(5). I'm struggling to work out which I prefer. MJT's window drop lights with inbuilt hinges are very convenient, but the Mousa sides have drop lights ready installed and less soldering to do on the sides. I have to say the Hornby coach looks good as well from the side. I recognise the lack of turnunder, but this is not very visible in a rake of coaches. For me, I won't be replacing Hornby sides for the diagrams they make, just to increase the range. So I have a lot of Hornby side door SKs etc. running around with which I'm happy enough.

Andy

If you want continuity of turnunder don't bother curving the replacement sides on a Hornby coach as much and don't shape the Hornby sides either..,.,,.,but you knew that.

Because the replacement sides can distort, especially I find with the Comet ones if you are not really careful as the 'join' is sort of stronger than the other parts of the sides, I cheat and shape the ends more to give a good impression of the curvy ends!

Yes I know I'm lazy and weird.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want continuity of turnunder don't bother curving the replacement sides on a Hornby coach as much and don't shape the Hornby sides either..,.,,.,but you knew that.

Because the replacement sides can distort, especially I find with the Comet ones if you are not really careful as the 'join' is sort of stronger than the other parts of the sides, I cheat and shape the ends more to give a good impression of the curvy ends!

Yes I know I'm lazy and weird.

Phil

I haven't tried Comet Gresleys yet - just their Thomsons which come pre-curved. How do the comets compare with Mousa and MJT for ease? I've got a Comet triplet staring at me from the roundtuit pile, but of course, that won't be on Hornby donor sides. I think I also cheat as I file the ends down, but don't bother along the side of the chassis. So far I've tried to give my Hornby conversions the correct turnunder, at least at the ends, and I don't find it a problem as they tend to work in separate rakes. Conversions in mainline rakes, while Hornby side door stock works on outer suburban rakes. If they have to mic, then I find a mark 1 or a Thomson in between hides the difference.

What I was really trying to say is let's not knock Hornby (especially when they're down!). I came back to modelling three years ago after 30 years, and the quality of RTR is phenomenal compared to what we used to have. When I saw them, I was bowled over by the Gresleys after the shorties we used to put up with and I still think they're lovely coaches, albeit not perfect. (No connection with Hornby etc...)

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've tried all three. We found the Mousa sides to be very thin, but otherwise OK. I prefer MJT to Comet, but of course the range is limited, unfortunately. I too have a rake of Hornby SKs, and wouldn't contemplate doing conversions, as the eight compartments make the small fittings too numerous and time consuming. Even a four compartment BSK took far longer that an end door coach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was a lovely evening to be out in the fresh air, and looking at a glorious view across to the Vale of Belvoir. Other than that, I'm saying nothing. I do have another picture of number 12 and the Elizabethan though.

post-98-0-44710200-1469225309_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

It was a lovely evening to be out in the fresh air, and looking at a glorious view across to the Vale of Belvoir. Other than that, I'm saying nothing. I do have another picture of number 12 and the Elizabethan though.

attachicon.gif12 2 small.jpg

Just thinking, that A4 + maroon coaches, it is the equivalent of a present day 91 + Mk4 coaches? But why does the A4 look so much more refined than that awful red & white Virgin thing?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking, that A4 + maroon coaches, it is the equivalent of a present day 91 + Mk4 coaches? But why does the A4 look so much more refined than that awful red & white Virgin thing?

Stewart

I think it would need another A4 at the other end Stewart, wasn't that the comment that was made about the HST? The A4 and maroon coaches do indeed look much more refined, but the difference was much less marked when the 91 and MK4s were in that very nice GNER blue livery. Some have taste, others struggle.

I think it would need another A4 at the other end Stewart, wasn't that the comment that was made about the HST? The A4 and maroon coaches do indeed look much more refined, but the difference was much less marked when the 91 and MK4s were in that very nice GNER blue livery. Some have taste, others struggle.

I think you've just made the same point as me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pronounced beaver (ooh!), I think? Or, perhaps in the context of this thread, Beevor?

Indeed yes, but even on a very hot day such as this promises to be, I doubt you'd see any if you went there. Except possibly in the picture galleries.

The Hornby loco looks far better than my Bachmann version... Looks like a renumber of one of the Hornby Wild Swan Golden Eagle models is in order, as I particularly like the BR Blue ones even though they're a few years too early for my period. And after that to find a suitable green version as well!

Peter

- Not sure why I said Wild Swan... I meant Golden Eagle, the current BR Blue version.

Peter, if Your aim is to use a Hornby BR Express Blue donor to make a BR Blue 60012, you might be better looking around for one of the "rare bird" train packs with kingfisher as it has a Flat backed corridor tender . I think that's about the closest RTR you will get without repainting.

The current Blue Golden Eagle has a non corridor tender.

COA had a tender with the curved in back (to match the Coronation streamlined coaching stock) and kept that tender from building until withdrawal.

Although Hornby have made that curved back tender in Garter Blue, BR green and silver, I don't believe that it has been made in BR Blue yet. 

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to our host on a success in his other hobby. Two such completely different activities strike me as providing a good balance to each other.

Thanks Ian, and yes, one indoor and one outdoor hobby is theoretically a good thing. The line can get a bit blurred though. I have contemplated taking a five iron to a recalcitrant item of rolling stock. That would be very silly though, wouldn't it?  Everyone knows a pitching wedge is the correct club for that.

Edited by great northern