Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, there are twice as many votes for the first photo. I shall now ignore that completely, as I want my own way, and if I don't get it I shall throw my toys out of the pram. I shall also claim that what I want won really, even though it got far less votes. I'm a quick learner, you see.

Mrs May would be proud of you!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

Both Mr Bartlett & Mrs May commented "Right, there are twice as many votes for the first photo. I shall now ignore that completely, as I want my own way, and if I don't get it I shall throw my toys out of the pram. I shall also claim that what I want won really, even though it got far less votes. I'm a quick learner, you see.":D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The mainstream of PN photography has sought to emulate the real thing - trainspotter shots, for want of a better term, showing the fine locos and stock in a familiar perspective. What we are seeing now is more typical of model photography, and is a worthy contrast. Neither is “wrong”, and the recent style gives more of a flavour of how a visitor might see the layout. 

An ongoing mixture of both styles would be good, IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love the picture of the 9F sweeping in. I think it might look better if you blacked out the area under the bridge instead of giving a grey/ white sky look.

That's a difficult one Andy. It would be far easier from a photoshopping point of view, as there are areas which come out very dark under there, and almost the same colour as the bridge. Having said that, all the prototype pictures show daylight under the bridge, albeit with the tracks running dead straight. A no win situation, I think.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Just got the result of yesterday's golf competition. I had to throw away four shots in the last three holes to avoid winning, and I managed to do it.:negative:

I think I will report you to the club's Chairperson as it appears there has been some match fixing going on. :rtfm:

Had I known I would have bunged a fiver on you losing. :secret:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think I will report you to the club's Chairperson as it appears there has been some match fixing going on. :rtfm:

Had I known I would have bunged a fiver on you losing. :secret:

Roger Walters summed it up over thirty years ago. "There's someone in my head, but its not me". Pressure, and the inability to handle it. Entirely self induced too. I'm afraid you wouldn't have got good odds Clive.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Roger Walters summed it up over thirty years ago. "There's someone in my head, but its not me". Pressure, and the inability to handle it. Entirely self induced too. I'm afraid you wouldn't have got good odds Clive.

that would be Roger Waters of Pink Floyd? I believe he was referring to the late Syd Barrett, one of the founder members who died in 2006, and suffered from schizophrenia from an early age.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/003640.html#

His story is a sad one.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Visitors today. His Grace Le Duck de Retford, and the first ever resident of Peterborough to come here. I must prepare. but first some photos, and once again there has been a time shift. This time it is a leap forward to 1959, as we see the last stopper from KX sidle in, just after 10pm.

2006449789_959011.JPG.d371b02aa1e768c65c7498e42d463cb8.JPG

Someone in authority has decided to see if one of these things can be persuaded to get this far without conking out, but to do it when things are quiet and few will notice. The unnatural lack of darkness, and a photographer who clearly hasn't got a home to go to, means that it didn't go unnoticed.

637121223_1059012.JPG.fb35802bc477452e15c9cea1f6378bf4.JPG

The photographer reckons he can make a few quid out of one of the magazines by recording this rare occurence, and so is snapping away for all he's worth.

Poor thing looks very lost that far north.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Poor thing looks very lost that far north.

I always think the Baby Deltics are the same as the Stanier and Fowler 2-6-2 tanks. 

Their big brothers or sisters ,depending on your point of view, were superb and they ought to have inherited that success.

Of course, as we all know they didn't!!!!!

Being a true son of Britain, I love underdogs, so I love 'em!!!!

I can just imagine the Station Master and Shed Foreman crossing everything whilst the beast was with them and the collective sigh of relief as she toddled off back to 'The 'Cross'!!!

Great shots as always, of course!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, JeffP said:

that would be Roger Waters of Pink Floyd? I believe he was referring to the late Syd Barrett, one of the founder members who died in 2006, and suffered from schizophrenia from an early age.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/003640.html#

His story is a sad one.

Shine on you crazy diamond was dedicated to Syd. I heard an interview with Roger W a little while back, and I think he said the lunatics bit was about the cold war, and how it could become exceedingly hot at any time. I may of course have got it all wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I always think the Baby Deltics are the same as the Stanier and Fowler 2-6-2 tanks. 

Their big brothers or sisters ,depending on your point of view, were superb and they ought to have inherited that success.

Of course, as we all know they didn't!!!!!

Being a true son of Britain, I love underdogs, so I love 'em!!!!

I can just imagine the Station Master and Shed Foreman crossing everything whilst the beast was with them and the collective sigh of relief as she toddled off back to 'The 'Cross'!!!

Great shots as always, of course!!!

Chris.

Bu then of course the Foreman got ten NBL things that he was supposed to hide away from the press. Someone blew the whistle.  I agree the baby Deltics are nice looking locos. That's why I couldn't resist one. I won't be having twelve or more like Clive though.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2