Peterborough North

great northern

Re eye injections, I had to have a series of 3 over several months a few years ago. I was very nervous for the first one, but the nurses were so good with it that, apart from a bit of discomfort when the anesthetic was wearing off, it was practically painless. After the first time, when I was asked if I knew what was to be done to me, I suggested that they were going to have darts practice on me. She went to the other end of the room to threaten to! She got a 'bulls eye' every time, though. When going to the eye man, I said that I was going to the Geordie greeting.

I can't remember what the injections were for, but they worked brilliantly.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Re eye injections, I had to have a series of 3 over several months a few years ago. I was very nervous for the first one, but the nurses were so good with it that, apart from a bit of discomfort when the anesthetic was wearing off, it was practically painless. After the first time, when I was asked if I knew what was to be done to me, I suggested that they were going to have darts practice on me. She went to the other end of the room to threaten to! She got a 'bulls eye' every time, though. When going to the eye man, I said that I was going to the Geordie greeting.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

I would agree with your assessment 100%, first time Scared stiff now just another day at the office so to speak. Mine are for Wet Macular Dystrophy and I find out tomorrow if I have got to have them every 8 weeks for the rest of my life.

Regards,Derek.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I shall end the day by sharing with you my achievements for the day. I have done some housework, dusting and stuff. I have run and photographed more trains. I have mastered the keyboard on my mobile phone, almost. I have joined a neighbourhood Whats app group, and almost worked out how that works too. I have consumed a sausage mindfully, two in fact. But all of that pales into insignificance when I come to the greatest of all. I have battled manfully with a duvet cover......and won.

Goodnight all.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

46 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Lloyd

I can sympathise with that . Six years ago I had a detached retina and they repair it by literally drilling into the eye.. You can imagine how I felt on the trolley being taken down to the operating theatre knowing I was going to be awake while all this drilling was going on, but the anaesthetic drops made it painless , although they wore of fairly quickly and I had to ask for more drops two or three times.  No pain after the operation though and my eyesight is good now but I have special sympathy with those who are going through these visual problems. You know what you’ve got till there is a risk of losing it . 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Lloyd,

I would agree with your assessment 100%, first time Scared stiff now just another day at the office so to speak. Mine are for Wet Macular Dystrophy and I find out tomorrow if I have got to have them every 8 weeks for the rest of my life.

Regards,Derek.

Cutler

Taking it lightly does not mean I am unsympathetic, and I certainly sympathize with the thought of having to have one every eight weeks for the rest of your life. It takes about a full day out each time, apart from the discomfort as the anesthetic wears off. I found it best just to go to bed when I got back home, and get up next morning, but then I prefer being horizontal.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another extract from RO, and a very relevant one for PN in late summer of 58.

" Towards the end of the summer it was abundantly clear that the Motive Power Dept were hard put to maintain their daily output. Failures were rife, and borrowed engines were often the rule. On 26 August B1 61207 brough up the Tees Tyne Pullman, 60513 took the 3.5pm goods ( The Scotch goods), and 60516 the 3.10 Newcastle. On 27th 60082 was on the Up Tees-Tyne, 60515 on the Up Fair Maid, and 60521 on the Up Flying Scotsman. On 28th the Up Fair Maid had V2 60853, and on 29th the Elizabethan arrived behind 60852, and 60950 was on the Up Scotsman."

And so it goes on. I suppose this means that I could tear up my carefully planned sequence, and do whatever I like, but I won't.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Back to running trains, and eventually I had a Down express. Now earlier while photographing an Up train I thought I had seen something under the roof on the Down, and nothing should have been there. So I had a gaze along the line, and saw nothing. Thus I happily routed this express along the main, and decided I would do an under the roof shot. Camera plonked, but in a position where it was almost impossible to see clearly what was on the screen, after which I ran the train slowly on until I could see the shape of it at what seemed to be the right distance. Photo duly taken, loco restarted and emerged, accompanied by an expletive or two. Why would it be propelling a Gresley BG? Well it was. Here's the photo I took.

IMG_2654.JPG.c5b9e123daa98b81a4b6dfe4c9474607.JPG

So there was something there all along. How did I miss it? And how did two tension lock vehicles part under there?

Cos they do with no reason other than they can do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Back to running trains, and eventually I had a Down express. Now earlier while photographing an Up train I thought I had seen something under the roof on the Down, and nothing should have been there. So I had a gaze along the line, and saw nothing. Thus I happily routed this express along the main, and decided I would do an under the roof shot. Camera plonked, but in a position where it was almost impossible to see clearly what was on the screen, after which I ran the train slowly on until I could see the shape of it at what seemed to be the right distance. Photo duly taken, loco restarted and emerged, accompanied by an expletive or two. Why would it be propelling a Gresley BG? Well it was. Here's the photo I took.

IMG_2654.JPG.c5b9e123daa98b81a4b6dfe4c9474607.JPG

So there was something there all along. How did I miss it? And how did two tension lock vehicles part under there?

Good evening Gilbert,

When all this is over, I'll change all those awful tension-locks!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I received a new book today "The Heyday of the Early British Rail Diesels 2" which has a lovely photo from Spital Bridge of a class 10 shunter D3447, hauling a train of open wagons loaded with bricks. It was new to Peterborough in 1957. As a Darlington built loco it would be in green livery with the BR emblem on the battery box, it would have a black radiator, not green, the coupling rods would be unpainted metal and the cab door frame would be varnished wood not painted green. A livery that Hornby and Bachmann are yet to do.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good morning Gilbert 

I know you use the Canon G12 to take your photos and I remember just recently on my own thread you mentioned you use the self timer when taking your photos.

Yesterday in the post I received a Shutter realise cable I purchased new on EBay £4.95 including postage a real bargain.

I tried it out last night and it’s brilliant just plug it in and fire away no camera shake no matter what shutter speed you use and long enough to put the camera in any location on your layout my last two photos of 60028 & 60510 were both taken using it.

I have put this on your thread just in case you are interested and not used one before, I. do hope you don’t mind?

lastly I do like your black & white image of the V2, very realistic. 

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Good morning Gilbert 

I know you use the Canon G12 to take your photos and I remember just recently on my own thread you mentioned you use the self timer when taking your photos.

Yesterday in the post I received a Shutter realise cable I purchased new on EBay £4.95 including postage a real bargain.

I tried it out last night and it’s brilliant just plug it in and fire away no camera shake no matter what shutter speed you use and long enough to put the camera in any location on your layout my last two photos of 60028 & 60510 were both taken using it.

I have put this on your thread just in case you are interested and not used one before, I. do hope you don’t mind?

lastly I do like your black & white image of the V2, very realistic. 

Regards

David

Good morning David. Tim did lend me one a while back, and I agree that it does help. However, he needed it back eventually, and I've just gone back to my old ways,  Provided I remember to set the timer, I'm usually OK.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Oh... I missed that one. They nearly got it right had they used their tool with 4 lights front and rear and fitted ladders.

• Agree 1