Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Go on!

Oh alright then.  As the train wot left the BG under the roof was running round, I set up the 7.30 Up Grantham, which has a Thompson BSK as the last vehicle. I duly formed the train, and set it off towards its stop in the station. When it arrived, it seemed shorter than it should be, and closer examination showed there was no Thompson brake. It really isn't far from the fiddle yard to the Up platform, so I just lifted up the blinds, which come right down  to make shopping easier, but there was nothing to be seen anywhere on the route back to the starting point. OK, I thought, I must have forgotten to put it on. Checked the FY track where it would be, but not there. Looked everywhere, nothing, so decided I must have put it in a cassette by mistake.

A little while later, I lifted a blind again, and there it was, sitting on the Up main where I would have expected to find it. All of which proves I think that my concentration isn't as good as it might be at present.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

You know, no matter how down you may feel just come to this thread and look at these fabulous pictures of an outstanding piece of modeling (modelling, I didnt know this word was so tricky!) of the ECML as some of us knew it. It might even convert me from the Southern to Eastern Region modelling.

Outstanding!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 30368 said:

You know, no matter how down you may feel just come to this thread and look at these fabulous pictures of an outstanding piece of modeling (modelling, I didnt know this word was so tricky!) of the ECML as some of us knew it. It might even convert me from the Southern to Eastern Region modelling.

Outstanding!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard B

Many thanks Richard. If what I'm doing lifts peope's spirits, I know I'm doing something useful, and that lifts mine too.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Oh alright then.  As the train wot left the BG under the roof was running round, I set up the 7.30 Up Grantham, which has a Thompson BSK as the last vehicle. I duly formed the train, and set it off towards its stop in the station. When it arrived, it seemed shorter than it should be, and closer examination showed there was no Thompson brake. It really isn't far from the fiddle yard to the Up platform, so I just lifted up the blinds, which come right down  to make shopping easier, but there was nothing to be seen anywhere on the route back to the starting point. OK, I thought, I must have forgotten to put it on. Checked the FY track where it would be, but not there. Looked everywhere, nothing, so decided I must have put it in a cassette by mistake.

A little while later, I lifted a blind again, and there it was, sitting on the Up main where I would have expected to find it. All of which proves I think that my concentration isn't as good as it might be at present.

Thanks Gilbert - worth the wait!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I received a new book today "The Heyday of the Early British Rail Diesels 2" which has a lovely photo from Spital Bridge of a class 10 shunter D3447, hauling a train of open wagons loaded with bricks. It was new to Peterborough in 1957. As a Darlington built loco it would be in green livery with the BR emblem on the battery box, it would have a black radiator, not green, the coupling rods would be unpainted metal and the cab door frame would be varnished wood not painted green. A livery that Hornby and Bachmann are yet to do.  

You had me worried there Clive. Mine is D3487, but does not comply with your details. However, it was chosen because Tim had a photo taken in 1958, and he did mine from that.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, great northern said:

You had me worried there Clive. Mine is D3487, but does not comply with your details. However, it was chosen because Tim had a photo taken in 1958, and he did mine from that.

Has it been modelled with a green radiator? Was the photo a black and white one? If so it is very hard to tell if it has a Darlington black radiator.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert, 

about an hour ago you said " so I just lifted up the blinds, which come right down  to make shopping easier, ".

I am being serious honestly, but what have the Blinds got to do with - Shopping ??

Kind regards,Derek .

Shopping - not purchases but abbreviations of Photoshop - so I guess Shopping is now = verb to use Photoshop.

Can be very confusing these days with words used out of original contexts - other examples include pissed (UK = drunk) now widely as a short form of pissed-off and ship, ships, shipping as derivations of relationship.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert, 

about an hour ago you said " so I just lifted up the blinds, which come right down  to make shopping easier, ".

I am being serious honestly,but what have the Blinds got to do with - Shopping ??

Kind regards,Derek .

Idleness Derek, I'm afraid. It means there are five less words for me to hit the wrong keys.  I don't think I'm the first to abbreviate "photoshopping" in this way. And I missed an o out while typing the word.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Has it been modelled with a green radiator? Was the photo a black and white one? If so it is very hard to tell if it has a Darlington black radiator.

Yes, it is a B&W phto Clive, so it may be wrong. We'll see about it when all this is over.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I know you don't really need confirmation Ian but yes it was.

How is France coping? well I hope.

Kind regards,

Richard B

My Region of France has the lowest virus incidence of any. So they have run a specially converted TGV "ambulance" to bring patients from overwhelmed parts of France. Sort of 'bring and share' really. I hear bogus gendarmes are about, demanding money, no doubt with menaces, of anyone they come across. When the going gets tough, the tough get going....

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My Region of France has the lowest virus incidence of any. So they have run a specially converted TGV "ambulance" to bring patients from overwhelmed parts of France. Sort of 'bring and share' really. I hear bogus gendarmes are about, demanding money, no doubt with menaces, of anyone they come across. When the going gets tough, the tough get going....

That only works because of the past behaviour of the Gendarmerie.

In our part of the country, Gendarmerie are now so thin on the ground that highly unlikely that any miscreants would ever get caught. Banks and post offices only hold very low quantities of cash because they had become such easy targets.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Extracts from Trains Illustrated this time, relevant to A3s again. 12 Grantham duties during my operating hours are mentioned, and the article refers to them as "extra" duties, so it is likely there were more, and all would be A3s. TI also says "Kings Cross A3s have been employed once more on some of the hardest jobs to Newcastle. A favourite seems to be 60044 which had had the Fair Maid and Tees Tyne pullman amongst other Newcastle turns, and 60039 headed the down Talisman on 12/6."   60044 wasn't long out from a general, but 60039 was half way to another one.

It seems then that plenty of A3s is actually a good thing for me.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And in railway terms a Shopping Proposal was the intended date for next overhaul, I think. 

That's right Ian, although being pedantic "SP m/yy" was the date that the shopping proposal became due to be submitted, rather than the document itself of course.

• Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Early pictures tonight, as there is a programme on TV about Eel Pie Island at 9.30. We have 60090 off on its way, taken from the safety of the sand drag area.

1879887309_690leaving.JPG.3ba328cedae4d32974b6f40fd02e3de1.JPG

That frees up platform 6 for 61635 to bring in the 8.35 arrival from March.

803182946_71635.JPG.76877c1eb3d7f328036a05a58e6fc19f.JPG

We'll have a look at the stock, which should actually be used quite a lot on the East shuttle as the day progresses.

1336442487_8stock1.JPG.28a80cf61b2daf80730de0d498bb6cd2.JPG

1241934979_9stock2.JPG.66d700f923f40416777d87f6d9618024.JPG1478482763_10stock3.JPG.2d4caa3abe912459f01b0ab7c0b31d29.JPG90944907_11stock4.JPG.e7376eb6f707f54787bb0a45406a3679.JPG

All fairly normal, though some nice Gresleys to be seen, but why a non corridor coach tacked on the end, I wonder?

Hi Gilbert 

I hope you are keeping well.

I will show my ignorance now when it comes to rolling stock  but there are some lovely examples in your photos.

Modelling an MPD I don’t have very much use for them apart from a cameo views on the main running lines going past the depot.

The First coach behind the locomotive I know is a Greeley design, can you please tell me is it a kit built of RTR.

Regards

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert 

I hope you are keeping well.

I will show my ignorance now when it comes to rolling stock  but there are some lovely examples in your photos.

Modelling an MPD I don’t have very much use for them apart from a cameo views on the main running lines going past the depot.

The First coach behind the locomotive I know is a Greeley design, can you please tell me is it a kit built of RTR.

Regards

David

Everything in this rake is kit built David, mainly the work of Ian Willets. It really is the only way to get anything like a true representation of Gresley stock. I still need quite a lot more though, and I don't know where they may come from, as Ian is now semi retired.

• Like 1