Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Update. So far today I have resisted  the urge to do anything remotely constructive. Here is Sir Nigel beneath the ramshackle roof.

626703316_2abitcloser.JPG.8f9dceb2f4fec16b40e24d1f7c472831.JPG

665701437_3closerstill.JPG.18623dd5d172731915499bab7db1ef7b.JPG

You can see how ramshackle the roof is by the fact that a lot of a recent violent hailstorm has got through, and is now lying on the platforms.

True story. Before Mrs M became Mrs M she would accompany me to railway related things. We went to the Norwich Crown Point open day and there was a big blue thing with a pointy front on display. "Oh look there is Sir Nigel Gresley" I said. "You know someone with a knighthood?" she asked.

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

She doesn't bother now, I assume.

Not since we got married 33 years ago. She has been to a few social events when she can join up with the other wives and take the micky out of us puffer nutters.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

In addition to running and photographing trains, I have also been cleaning up the railway tip, I mean room, and I'm now really beginning to see the effects and the benefits. Here's where my toolboxes now live, under baseboard at north end of the fiddle yard, for those interested.

storage.jpg.fe5be9e026ae1519b7601c5f56316b06.jpg

This area was a chaotic mess, so I'm very pleased to have transformed it into this. Moving the two toolboxes has also created much more free space under the island baseboard. We are under the station buildings here.

clean.jpg.0de5b5919eed375df1ce4694bdee0ccf.jpg

apart from looking a lot better, this now gives me a second duck under to access the window side of the layout, and one which is easier on the back than the existing one. It also provides space for one of the guest's chairs.

Was this worth the effort? Absolutely.

Edited by great northern
spelling
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Quick off topic please Gilbert?

just in case any of our two or three mutual friends don’t get an alert from my thread (Waverley Route Revisited) I have just popped a lengthy post, with some actual progress to report!

click on the link in my signature, and go to the last page...

”Now, back to the records....” 

Tx Gilbert 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

just in case any of our two or three mutual friends don’t get an alert from my thread (Waverley Route Revisited) I have just popped a lengthy post, with some actual progress to report!

Tx Gilbert 

Yes, I've seen it Peter, and I'm pondering as to what my response may be. I think you may still be over complicating a bit. There's a very definite limit to what one operator can do at any time, particularly if there is to be no fiddle yard. Needs more thought before I come back to you though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another day nearly gone, and at least I got more done than I did yesterday. Another B17 for you tonight, Kimbolton Castle. It will be taking the 4.32 to Harwich for part of its journey.

781165325_21633.JPG.fc31c1a14940df1b71a7723f76a656f4.JPG

And now another experiment. The camera is on Spital Bridge again, but more towards the centre. We know that the parapet was too high to see over in that area, so someone must have found something to stand on, and it must have been quite tall. Here is the result. The 9F at platform 6 is departing, and this is the view we get.

1964941041_39Fhigher.JPG.0757469c688da86f86735741ef34d811.JPG

Oh, and it is zoomed as well. What do you reckon?

Hi Gilbert,

I like the lower shot; it shows the flow of the station very nicely and gives a sense of what might have been seen.

All the best,

Pete

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Tx Gilbert 

Now following Peter. Lovely view of the Downs by the way. Sometimes I miss Sussex just a little...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now following Peter. Lovely view of the Downs by the way. Sometimes I miss Sussex just a little...

There is an easy but long way round to miss Sussex. From Hampshire go up to Surrey then down into Kent or the other way round. Or if you have boat sail into the Channel and not stop until you reach Kent.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6