Peterborough North

great northern

And now another experiment. The camera is on Spital Bridge again, but more towards the centre. We know that the parapet was too high to see over in that area, so someone must have found something to stand on, and it must have been quite tall. Here is the result. The 9F at platform 6 is departing, and this is the view we get.

Gilbert

What happened was that the photographer was part of a group that had hired a double deck bus that happened to go over Spital Bridge.

As always, the Up main doesn't stay quiet for long, and a J6 with a short transit goods soon appears. It is first seen from that high vantage point on Spital Bridge.

The bus was stuck in a traffic jam?

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There is an easy but long way round to miss Sussex. From Hampshire go up to Surrey then down into Kent or the other way round. Or if you have boat sail into the Channel and not stop until you reach Kent.

"The first land we saw 'twas called the Dodman,

Then Rame Head by Plymouth, Start, Portland and Wight.

We sailed on by Beachy, by Fairlight and Dungeness

Until we hove to by the South Foreland Light".

• Like 3

Are you going to wear a hat to hide the lack ok of hair or because your head will be cold. As you can see from my avatar I am pretty bald, but when once a month I trim the beard I give my head a straight trim NO fitting on the trimmer so I become totally bald. It is the a bit a lot chiller than before the trim.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, westerner said:

Are you going to wear a hat to hide the lack ok of hair or because your head will be cold. As you can see from my avatar I am pretty bald, but when once a month I trim the beard I give my head a straight trim NO fitting on the trimmer so I become totally bald. It is the a bit a lot chiller than before the trim.

Probably both Alan. Actually, it probably isn't that much shorter than I sometimes ask the barber to do it. But maybe not quite as neat.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I like the shot of Doncaster. The weathering is great.

I have cut my own hair for years. Flat top and and No 1 on the sides. Saved a fortune on hairdressers and spent the money on better things. 

I am about to cut to wife's hair tomorrow! I used to trim her fringe and do the dead ends, but this is different as she changed her style last year and his is going to be a bit more difficult. If I stop posting, will some kind soul check under the patio.... :D

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/02/2020 at 12:25, great northern said:

I am confused again. Nene sidings are quite a way down from the station, and at a lower level, so would they be visible when looking under Crescent Bridge? Logic would say not, but then what about this image. I have shown this before, courtesy of peterboroughimages.co .uk, but I'd be grateful if you would have another look at it.

64217-crescent.jpg.6db37d436ed0939e00033df05f434c53.jpg

Surely what can be seen framed by the gantry on the left of the signal box is the ends of parked coaching stock? But they look closer than the chute to the power station, which they shouldn't be.  This is the only image I can find which gives as clear a view as this. All others are shrouded by smoke and steam. What do you make of this, please?

The sidings as a whole is on the 'level' with the station however there is some gradient variations within the sidings where they neighbour the GN & Midland lines.

The 'blocks' end of the sidings follows to the course of the river which is at a angle to the bridge as a result the roads are not in a uniformed line and the roads those coaches are stabled on are a lot closer to the station then the roads closest to the GN side of the sidings therefore gives a false perspective. Hopefully the two linked Flickr images below can illustrate what I mean. Incidentally, you can get 16 coaches in between the stops on the road closest to the GN side and the outlet signal (don't ask me how I know this....).

James

55 006 arrives at Peterborough on the 14.04 Kings Cross - York

45 124 arrives at Peterborough on fly ash empties

Edited by Jonsie66
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Saved several nanoseonds this morning, as there was no need to comb my hair.

Lots of sun, so perhaps a very long walk later, but also some layout time. We are still on photos from nearly a week ago, and have now reached the arrival of Andrew K Mc Cosh with the Northumbrian.

1570060094_631.JPG.fa45d59f6d1d956a04a53eea795628ca.JPG

1321919098_732.JPG.bd7d11cc7178d9eb022edd41c31ef646.JPG

Tim's latest A4 weathering job, and I think it is the best so far.

Almost Gateshead cleanliness.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Something like this, perhaps?

948133285_4frombridge.JPG.bbb373a4fd129f8879eab4e985ed854b.JPG

G'Day Folks

Brilliant picture, just the type of view you would get as a trainspotter, when you shoved your head over a fence.

manna

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

One last go at the different angle from the bridge.

2098225405_5frombridge2.JPG.006473a3e7018e99201245aa8c9f37ec.JPG

Too much expanse of sky is what I think.

Something more down to earth. D11 Zeebrugge with the 5.03 to Grimsby.

This was a day most notable for my having done something really dumb.

The sky wouldn't be on the right or by the houses on the left, the horizon would be above the bridge.

Edited by phil.c

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil.c said:

The sky wouldn't be on the right or by the houses on the left, the horizon would be above the bridge.

Agreed. That's why I'm not happy with it. It needs surroundings, and I don't have them.