Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Some very interesting nominations so far, and not necessarily the ones I anticipated. We'll see how things develop.

I've been taking advantage of the lovely indirect light during the first part of the day, and running trains and taking more photos. This must be one of the most calming and therapeutic hobbies there is. I don't even have to remind myself that I have plenty of time any more. However, everything has stopped for tea, which means mid morning images.

2P at Platform 2.

1672858923_122P2.JPG.f47d30e0e2e1f0589de3b1cc7330e115.JPG

and Wolf of Badenoch running in to Platform 6 with the 5.00pm from KX.

1661691197_12a506.JPG.a4405e9b2feac8f63c99676f9fd7baed.JPG

When it becomes possible, I may see if we can extend the bridge still further to the left.

Hi Gilbert

Thats a very nice photo of the Wolf.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

Wainwright D. Glens always looked good to me too.

We're getting closer to a Willie. The D is right up there in my opinion. Seeing that at the NRM was a highlight of the day, despite the presence of Pacifics in steam.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

For once I'm going to be the controversial one.....

1565204398_Screenshot2020-05-07at11_17_18.png.4f2d554966b1323b8ee7f2223a9d9327.png

But then I did commute on the Hastings line for many years, albeit not behind one of these!

As I’m part of the team working on restoring Stowe at the Bluebell,  I would have to rate the schools class as one of my favourite locos, but I’m not sure about graceful...more powerful. From the LNER stable I’d go for the classic Gresley lines of the D49, but for pure grace, I think the Drummond LSWR 4-4-0s win the day for me. They’re all good, but I’m going to go for a L12 because I built one for Tony Teague a couple of years ago and rather fell in love with the design.

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

As I’m part of the team working on restoring Stowe at the Bluebell,  I would have to rate the schools class as one of my favourite locos, but I’m not sure about graceful...more powerful. From the LNER stable I’d go for the classic Gresley lines of the D49, but for pure grace, I think the Drummond LSWR 4-4-0s win the day for me. They’re all good, but I’m going to go for a L12 because I built one for Tony Teague a couple of years ago and rather fell in love with the design.

I thought it had all gone quiet in the Stowe front. I must confess to being an armchair member of the BRPS, I joined after seeing the 9f going to the park on a low loader and have been a member ever since 

I haven’t been for several years, so suspect there will be much to see. Hopefully I’ll be allowed out for the next model railway weekend!

My choices would be the Midland 1000, and the D49.  I think the D49 is both pretty and purposeful.  The square firebox on the 1000 spoils the overall aesthetic just a little.  :)

The Schools V has a few too many distractions on it, the extension to the footplate, the smoke deflectors, etc.  Powerful loco though...  and I just purchased a battered Hornby superdetail one to recover to former glory - my first Southern loco for the fleet!

All that said, I do have a soft spot for the GWR City class.  The outside frames and monster Belpaire make them look 'tough', then you have the elegant tapering boiler to comparatively small diameter smokebox, with all the copper & brass and this dinky little tender in tow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too would go for the GWR City class. Remember seeing City of Truro regularly on my way to school mid 1950s. A  wonderful and elegant sight. Bazza

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a young spotter, barely in my teens, the Schools was my favourite loco. I shed a real tear on hearing Harrow had gone for scrap - not least because it was the only one of the 40 I hadn't seen! As I learnt more about the wider locomotive world, I became aware that Robert Billinton's LBSCR B4, and particularly his earlier B2, were really rather more elegant. Billinton had worked for Johnson at Derby, so kinfolk have been mentioned already. And, putting money where mouth is, a competent kitbuilder (and RMwebber) is currently building me a B4. It will be by far the most expensive loco I have ever owned, but worth every penny.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

Gilbert,

Mention must be made in your 4-4-0 survey of the D30 (Scott) and the D34 (Glen) !

Eric

That's the reason for the Wandering Willie hints, Eric!

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'll look at the 4.4.0. votes in detail shortly, but first your morning photos. First one is from a very high vantage point indeed.

1241019234_41412.JPG.a4ef1536228c361b7715899eb7ed5a37.JPG

Gilbert, I love this shot. However, I wonder if it would be better if the loco was 10-20cm further forward so the tender clears the water column. I realise you were trying to use the barrow crossing to frame the engine, but I find the loss of part of the tender distracting.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather inclined to agree with Steve@31A that there were so many lovely 4.4.0s that we shouldn't try to find a winner. However, a quick run through the replies found that the D16 got the most mentions, followed by the Schools.

Where shall we go next. I think 2.6.0s  folks. Not so many to choose from this time, but plenty of variety.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert, I love this shot. However, I wonder if it would be better if the loco was 10-20cm further forward so the tender clears the water column. I realise you were trying to use the barrow crossing to frame the engine, but I find the loss of part of the tender distracting.

Andy

I see what you mean Andy, and in this case, I could have done it. The problem at this end though is that wherever I place locos there will be something either sticking out of inappropriate places, or between camera and loco. It doesn't help that even a slight change in the angle at which I set the camera brings a different excrescence into play.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, great northern said:

The D is right up there in my opinion. Seeing that at the NRM was a highlight of the day,

Saw it at Clapham, donkeys' years ago - along with Mallard.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Where shall we go next. I think 2.6.0s  folks. Not so many to choose from this time, but plenty of variety.

Hmm! Although there were some very utilitarian - if not down-right ugly 2-6-0s - I still find it difficult to pick one winner for the "Most attractive / graceful" title. I will have to give you the following list:

- SECR / SR - Maunsell N class 2-6-0.

- LBSCR / SR - K Class.

- GWR - 43xx (Nearly the perfect loco?)

- GER - "Mogul" no.527

- MR - Schnetady built American locos.

- GNR / LNER K2 - with original GN cab

- LNER K4 - The perfect parallel boiler mogul?

- LNER Thompson K1

If I have to chose 1 it is the GWR 43xx

I haven't mentioned any of the LMS types as they may have been good workers, but were all rather utilitarian lookers.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm rather inclined to agree with Steve@31A that there were so many lovely 4.4.0s that we shouldn't try to find a winner. However, a quick run through the replies found that the D16 got the most mentions, followed by the Schools.

K4... just perfect.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Hmm! Although there were some very utilitarian - if not down-right ugly 2-6-0s - I still find it difficult to pick one winner for the "Most attractive / graceful" title. I will have to give you the following list:

- SECR / SR - Maunsell N class 2-6-0.

Slightly simplifying the 4 separate classes of Southern Railway 2-6-0s. As well as the 80 Ns, there were 6 3-cylinder N1s, 50 U Class, with 6'0 drivers, and 21 U1s with those drivers and a third cylinder. The higher running plate on the U/U1 does enhance appearance a little. 

• RMweb Gold

But the 43xx is a great looking and useful engine. That gets my vote, along with the K3 - not necessarily graceful but powerful and neat.

Best wishes to all,

Alastair M

• Like 1