Peterborough North

great northern

There are a great many 0-6-0Ts.
Gronk. Hunslet Austerity. BR363. USA Dock Tank. YEC Janus. Fowler 3F. Class 14. GWR Pannier Tank. Vossloh G6. All very useful locomotives shifting wagons about in yards and running trip freight. But ... "Attractive" or "Graceful"? Those aren't adjectives typically associated with 0-6-0Ts. Oh, and "British" was specified, too.

To get "attractive" or "graceful", you need to go much further back. Back to when they might have been seen on passenger trains. I think my choice is going to have to be ... the LB&SCR E2.

• RMweb Gold

Kirtley 0-6-0 WT, 0-4-2 WT and 0-4-4 WT. Johnson 1F 0-6-0T, the half cab one's look nicer than the full cab and 1P 0-4-4T. At a push the LTSR 4-4-0T. Preferably all in red with full rococo lining but I don't mind a bit of early MR green as well although that pushes them back in time quite a bit, and yes I am totally biased.

Some of the HR locos were very pretty as well just to prove I'm not completely blinkered. Some of the early GW DF locos were very nice too, especially the BG one's. 

Regards Lez.   

• RMweb Premium

Very close poll on the 0.6.0s, but I reckon the J52 just sneaked it.  First loco I ever built, from a BEC kit, remember them, back in 1973?  I then got Mike Skidmore, who worked with Millholme Models at the time, to weather it heavily. That was almost unheard of then, and people thought I was crazy...... until they saw the result.

Let's have a really good one to debate today.  The British 4.4.0. Lots and lots of beautiful, graceful and very attractive locos to choose from, but which was the most beautiful of all?

• RMweb Premium

The BEC J52 was my first kit too, Gilbert.  Would pull anything (32 coaches once on a club layout) due to the weight of the almost solid whitemetal saddletank.  Somewhere it must still be around up in the loft.

You may be surprised at my 0-6-2T nominee though. N yes, 5 no.....

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Let's have a really good one to debate today.  The British 4.4.0. Lots and lots of beautiful, graceful and very attractive locos to choose from, but which was the most beautiful of all?

Well that is a challenge if we're to find the most beautiful 4-4-0.

Despite the fact I love the D16/3, the simplicity of a D2 and the presence of a D10 or D11 the most beautiful has to be an original  ex GC LNER D9.

Some of the Scottish 4-4-0s are very attractive as well but at the end of the day it comes back to the D9 for me.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Clarification
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

GWR Armstrong 7 class.

• Like 1

The first 4-4-0 I ever fell in love with was a Bassett-Low-key( that’s not my misspelling, the spell checker thinks it knows best ) Derby Compound. I never actually saw one in the flesh and in fact only saw one of the Midland 4-4-0 s , but in pictures they all look pretty good to me . The D16/3,s do have something special about them , but having been brain washed  by the Bluebell the Schools have a certain rugged  charisma to my eye. 

Now, if. want to ask about 4-4-2’s, then we could talk about some real crackers that graced Peterborough North over the years !

• RMweb Gold

Midland Compound and D11/1 are close to equal for me, both elegant engines.  Schools are up there too and I’ve always be fascinated by Dukedogs, so hows that for playing the field!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
Spelling

4-4-0s? Are there any apart from a D16/3 (with the decorative valance of course)?

Well actually there is, the M&GN Beyer Peacocks, especially in rebuilt form. What a magnificent sight one would be at Sheringham in the glorious M&GN livery.

Stewart

• Agree 1