Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

Now Southend is a bit of a odd place as its real name is Southend-on-Sea but it ain't it is in the Thames Estuary.Plus it doesn't really have a beach, it is on mud flats. 

When I were lad me Mum and Dad would take me and my brother on a day trip to Southend by train from Bedford it was great fun trying to work out which route we would take as sometimes we ended up at Victoria and sometimes Central. Back in them days the local coppers wore white helmets in the summer, very strange.  

We used to go a couple of times a year, by car round the North Circular and down the Southend Arterial. Once during the summer to visit some ex-neighbours who'd moved there, which always included a train ride on the pier, and once in the autumn to see the lights.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, what could be better than a parcel containing a Timmed A3. The answer is...... two of them. Another one found on E Bay has also had the treatment.

854935459_4491.JPG.f0488521ff755e080fffa4edad3f202d.JPG

1693989788_5492.JPG.a51b9434baabedfd995a8b168840aa7e.JPG

This one is a Grantham engine, and its last shopping was a year ago, so its condition is subtly different, but equally attractive. Another lovely addition to the fleet. I'm sure I have enough A3s now. They are beautiful locomotives though, aren't they? I suppose I could have one more, or perhaps two.

My favourite as Dad took me on the footplate of 60049 at K+, probably about 1962.

You don't see many models of her. I've got two, as A1 2548 prewar ( my main period) and 60049 with double chimney and smoke deflectors as she was when we visited her cab.

Andrew

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

You do like your seaside termini. 18 very widely spread nominations, but only two got more than one vote. Result, Scarborough 3 Cromer High 2.

Let's do the same with large non seaside termini, again with reasons for choice please, nostalgic or otherwise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Am I allowed a day many years ago? Derby Day at Epsom Downs in LBSCR days, with a train in each of the seven platforms, including the Royal Train, with an I3 tank on the front bearing the Royal coat of arms. These days it makes do with one platform, and the branch is slightly shorter, the site having been sold. 

• Like 4

Large non seaside termini? Depends on the definition of seaside. If it is taken as holiday resorts, then that gives you quite a choice. If it is literally within 1 or 2 miles of the sea, then I can think of very few outside of central London. If the former, I would plump for Inverness, which is my local station. An interesting track plan, being almost two separate stations. If the latter, I would have to go for Manchester Piccadilly (and all it's previous names) even though I have never been there, as the only one I can think of outside of that filthy hole that is London.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Large non seaside termini? Depends on the definition of seaside. If it is taken as holiday resorts, then that gives you quite a choice. If it is literally within 1 or 2 miles of the sea, then I can think of very few outside of central London. If the former, I would plump for Inverness, which is my local station. An interesting track plan, being almost two separate stations. If the latter, I would have to go for Manchester Piccadilly (and all it's previous names) even though I have never been there, as the only one I can think of outside of that filthy hole that is London.

Lloyd

Anywhere but seaside holiday resorts today Lloyd.

• RMweb Premium

Bath, Queens Square / Green Park / Midland / Sainsbury's.

Why? the market's good as is the record shop ;)

Edit: Does it count as two, being the terminus for the Midland AND Somerset & Dorset?

Edited by Tim Dubya
Lois Maxwell

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Bath, Queens Square / Green Park / Midland / Sainsbury's.

Why? the market's good as is the record shop ;)

Edit: Does it count as two, being the terminus for the Midland AND Somerset & Dorset?

It was the Midland Railway's terminus which the Slow and Dirty had running rights.

• Thanks 1

Mm, bit tricky!  Four to choose from in Glasgow!  After due consideration, and a cup of tea, settled for Queen Street, especially when the goods side was in use, although St Enoch ran it close!

Roja

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK this time I will go for Hull Paragon!

I used to like going there for work; never too busy or any sense of panic, just well ordered and serenely business like under the elegant overall roof.  And a brilliant renovation, integrating the bus station with the railway station, and removing the 1960s concrete DMO office from the front, opening up the frontage.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, what could be better than a parcel containing a Timmed A3. The answer is...... two of them. Another one found on E Bay has also had the treatment.

854935459_4491.JPG.f0488521ff755e080fffa4edad3f202d.JPG

1693989788_5492.JPG.a51b9434baabedfd995a8b168840aa7e.JPG

This one is a Grantham engine, and its last shopping was a year ago, so its condition is subtly different, but equally attractive. Another lovely addition to the fleet. I'm sure I have enough A3s now. They are beautiful locomotives though, aren't they? I suppose I could have one more, or perhaps two.

How many A3’s do you now have Gilbert?