Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I will have to go for Guildford as part of the Reading to Redhill line. Although Redhill is a close second choice.

Maybe just outside the area proscribed?

Edited by CHAZ D

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

I will have to go for Guildford as part of the Reading to Redhill line. Although Redhill is a close second choice.

Maybe just outside the area proscribed?

A bit large, I think. We are onto the smaller country outposts now.

Good idea.

Cleobury Mortimer is also in Shropshire. I've no idea about its railway station, whether it was a junction, etc but it's just such a lovely name I thought I'd give it a mention!

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Good idea.

Cleobury Mortimer is also in Shropshire. I've no idea about its railway station, whether it was a junction, etc but it's just such a lovely name I thought I'd give it a mention!

No it ain't it is spelt wrong.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Drybrook Road Junction on the Seven and Wye Railway.

I'm getting worried now. You must be spending so much time finding these obscure locations that it will start to eat into your cutting and shutting time, so we won't see as many patchwork coaches and DMUs. And don't even mention the ragwort. Running riot it could be, and then Mrs M would be as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm getting worried now. You must be spending so much time finding these obscure locations that it will start to eat into your cutting and shutting time, so we won't see as many patchwork coaches and DMUs. And don't even mention the ragwort. Running riot it could be, and then Mrs M would be as well.

Hi Gilbert

I have always liked the Seven and Wye Railway, I had planned at one time to make a model of Cinderford station, Drybrook Road being the station before it on the S&WR mainline.  I have also considered basing a layout of the two stations at Coleford, two termini with a very awkward exchange siding between them.

If you noticed I didn't suggest a junction station in the North East off the ECML as I know little about the railway in the area. I am sure they are very interesting but my interest has not gone in that direction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The inclusion of Shropshire allows one of my favourite rural backwater light railway junctions. So my vote goes for "Kinnerley Junction" for the Criggion Branch on the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Railway. For a long while it was the home of the locomotiove "Gazelle" and its ex-tramcar trailer coach.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, great northern said:

Yet another A4 this evening. This is the 6.40 KX-Grantham, another pretty lightweight stopping service that was regularly Pacific or V2 hauled. Quicksilver today.

1094367071_1151.JPG.467ba5f7b62b05d49bbba6ebb8a0acbe.JPG

884747943_2152.JPG.15e9979abcc7504bed6e3b040410891d.JPG

Hi Gilbert, is the van correct? Also could you tell me what the 3rd coach is, it could be the light but is it s catering vehicle? Many thanks

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, davidw said:

Hi Gilbert, is the van correct? Also could you tell me what the 3rd coach is, it could be the light but is it s catering vehicle? Many thanks

According to the HMRS survey there was a departmental van immediately behind the loco every day that week, carrying tools and spares to and from Doncaster, so I decided to include it. The third vehicle is a Gresley 4 compartment brake. No catering in this train, though there is a record of two locked RBs in the formation destined for Grimsby on one day.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

According to the HMRS survey there was a departmental van immediately behind the loco every day that week, carrying tools and spares to and from Doncaster, so I decided to include it. The third vehicle is a Gresley 4 compartment brake. No catering in this train, though there is a record of two locked RBs in the formation destined for Grimsby on one day.

Thanks Gilbert. 

• RMweb Premium

Not so familiar with this area, only twelve votes and eleven different locations mentioned. Whitchurch was the only one to get two.

Let's try the south Midlands today, west of the ECML, and extending over to what we have just covered. This includes Bedfordshire, so one person at least will be happy, though spoilt for choice.