Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Not quite a plague, but we did wake up to a new ‘pet’ in our dining room on Thursday morning! He thought he was camouflaged against the floor so just stayed dead still while I photographed him4CB7A170-DF12-4675-8BB7-3033CFB42BF2.jpeg.bde62cd35e4782c817df96a3884da8d3.jpeg

We seem to have more than our normal numbers this year. We do live on marshland.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I only went to Lincoln once, I was with my Driver working a Sleeper train back from Doncaster, via Lincoln because of engineering work, we had conductor, so I stood in the well in  the Deltics cab for 3 hours, all I saw of Lincoln was lights as we passed through, that shift wasn't a complete disaster though, the Driver let me have a drive from Peterborough, went through Connington at 105 MPH.

Weekday Crossing for me today.

manna

Not jealous .

Nope.

Not at all.

Not in the slightest.

Well maybe just a ...

WHOLE LOT Jealous!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Moving a little further to the West, today we will look at country junction stations in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, including the Peak District. Nottinghamshire again as it didn't get a look in yesterday.

How about Parsley Hay?

image.png.3c386047a9c02e1c2d0875d93fdac7ed.png

(picture from Wikipedia site)

Situated on the LNWR Buxton-Ashbourne-Uttoxeter route, Parsley Hay was the junction for the northern end of the legendary Cromford & High Peak railway (note the junction signal beyond the station) with its famous rope-hauled inclines and which incredibly hung on to life until 1967. Today, the site of Parsley Hay station is a cycle hire base from which the two routes can be explored as the Tissington Trail and the High Peak Trail.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, great northern said:

... I did take some of the Gresley stock behind 61657, as I can often now put trains like this together with good quality stock.

1345518297_12aCK.JPG.97d8d76892e783f111a96ccbcb8893af.JPG1343326684_14BSK.JPG.745756d1fe358fff4375991c656634f1.JPG

Lovely, but I still need some more.

Are those some of the brass sides-stuck-onto-Hornby donors jobbies, Gilbert?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Are those some of the brass sides-stuck-onto-Hornby donors jobbies, Gilbert?

What a good question. I think the answer is some of them. The 3 compartment BSK and the CK are kit/scratch built by Ian Willets using MJT sides and parts, but the other three are indeed improved Hornby.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

We seem to have more than our normal numbers this year. We do live on marshland.

Ours live by the pond In the front garden. We left the doors open for air on Wed evening and he must have hopped in then unnoticed and spent the night in the dining room. He had left a ‘deposit’ on Thursday morning which my wife noticed before the frog!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

How about Parsley Hay?

image.png.3c386047a9c02e1c2d0875d93fdac7ed.png

(picture from Wikipedia site)

Situated on the LNWR Buxton-Ashbourne-Uttoxeter route, Parsley Hay was the junction for the northern end of the legendary Cromford & High Peak railway (note the junction signal beyond the station) with its famous rope-hauled inclines and which incredibly hung on to life until 1967. Today, the site of Parsley Hay station is a cycle hire base from which the two routes can be explored as the Tissington Trail and the High Peak Trail.

http://www.lymmobservatory.net/railways/sbdiagrams/parsley_hay_q95.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
Direct link added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You're either tired of polls, or Notts and Derbys just don't float your boat. Only 7 votes, and all for different locations. today, let's try the West Midlands. Very industrial, but there were some country branches to be found. Anywhere between Banbury in the South to Manchester in the North, and across to the Welsh border.  I know that isn't all classified as West Midlands, but who cares.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Metropolitan H said:

I'll try Market Drayton this time.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is getting a bit like the "Mornington Crescent" game from Radio 4's - "I'm sorry I haven't a clue", but without a target destination? - Keep it going.

Regards

Chris H

Suggestion for next poll - most popular tube stations, whether in radio programs or not?

Lloyd

• Funny 3

13 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Would that be "Deep Tube", the "Tube" gauge lines as a whole or the whole London Underground including the Sub-Surface Lines - and do we include the Epping - Ongar line?

Regards

Chris H (Tongue firmly in Cheek!).

i (thankfully) don't make the rules.

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going to go with Hatton.

I don't have a clue where it is (can can find out) but it will hopefully give a clear winner with two votes this time.

Are you banking on that, Clive?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3