Peterborough North

great northern

I will go for Market Harborough before it became so urban. I remember changing there once going from Peterborough to Wolverhampton. A lot of cant on the curve through the station. It could be quite a climb across the coach to get out!

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Not so familiar with this area, only twelve votes and eleven different locations mentioned. Whitchurch was the only one to get two.

Let's try the south Midlands today, west of the ECML, and extending over to what we have just covered. This includes Bedfordshire, so one person at least will be happy, though spoilt for choice.

No it won't....Bedfordshire, more like Bedford itself is not in the South Midlands. It doesn't know where it is, it is not in East Anglia, it is not in the Midlands, and it is not in the South East.

Choices, choices, Wellingborough, Kettering, Market Harborough, Towcester and many more.

Glendon Junction, only because it is one of those mysteries, who wants to go to Corby?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No it won't....Bedfordshire, more like Bedford itself is not in the South Midlands. It doesn't know where it is, it is not in East Anglia, it is not in the Midlands, and it is not in the South East.

Choices, choices, Wellingborough, Kettering, Market Harborough, Towcester and many more.

Glendon Junction, only because it is one of those mysteries, who wants to go to Corby?

Any exiled Scot living in England who is missing their haggis,square sausage, Irn Bru and rowies would go to Corby. The only supermarket i have ever been in that had a Scottish ailse! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So, Gilbert, precisely which counties (pre-1974 of course) are in and which out for this round please?

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Any exiled Scot living in England who is missing their haggis,square sausage, Irn Bru and rowies would go to Corby. The only supermarket i have ever been in that had a Scottish ailse! 

Thank you David.

It just shows what a wonderful place RMweb is, that is today's mystery solved. :good:

Woodford Halse, a railway location - and community - that died.

(I think it fits today's geographic description).

image.png.a84b7b458a9b0c5e348b1f75d6d0bffe.png

Picture from https://www.woodford-halse-villagesignpost.co.uk/woodford-now-then/history-of-the-village/woodford-the-railway/pictures-of-woodford-the-railway/

Its own loco shed (one of Dick Hardy's charges, albeit briefly) where some of the cross-country services changed locos, taking the junction south of the station towards Banbury. Also the other end of the famous 'wind cutter' freight services from Annesley. A busy railway location in otherwise rural surroundings

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

So, Gilbert, precisely which counties (pre-1974 of course) are in and which out for this round please?

That's a difficult question. Home Counties and South Midlands is the best I can do, but it is all just a bit of fun, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If Bedford doesn't count I will go for Wellingborough.  Vague memories of watching the trains there as an infant when we lived there for a little while; "Spaceships" and Blue Pullman.  Nice station, and a moderately large loco depot and marshalling yard in a slightly-unexpected location for such things.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

That's a difficult question. Home Counties and South Midlands is the best I can do, but it is all just a bit of fun, isn't it?

Of course it is Gilbert. I will now put on my thinking cap...

Verney Junction?

Quainton Road?

Princes Risborough?

Bourne End?

Nope.

Hatton.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Not many votes again, but perhaps you weren't sure what you were voting for. Lovely Woodford Halse got 4 votes, nothing else more than one.

I'll try something a bit different today. Small country junction stations  on, or on lines leading off from, the Midland main line, anywhere between Norf London and Leeds. That gives some secondary routes to look at as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

Small country junction stations  on, or on lines leading off from, the Midland main line, anywhere between Norf London and Leeds. That gives some secondary routes to look at as well.

Does that stretch as far as Stamford?  If it does I'll go for Stamford (with or without bookshop).  If it doesn't, I'll think again.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 31A said:

Does that stretch as far as Stamford?  If it does I'll go for Stamford (with or without bookshop).  If it doesn't, I'll think again.

It certainly does Steve. The cross country lines are really what I'm thinking of now.

• Like 1

Melton Mowbray for me. If I missed the 6.20pm from Nottingham Victoria on my way back to Peterborough, I usually had time to walk across to Nottingham Midland to get a train to Melton Mowbray soon after 7.00pm, wait a couple of hours or so there, and then get a Leicester to Peterborough train getting in about midnight. Thankfully, I usually caught the 6.20!

Lloyd

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Pictures from a slightly elevated position this morning. First we have a Spital Bridge Claud bringing in a Leicester train.

623042171_12530.JPG.2ed3b3fcab17862c57abf6cd38ab0ef3.JPG

and then, somehow moving to the other side of the bridge, a look at the J6 waiting in the bay for the parcels traffic to be dealt with.

1668901406_2J6.JPG.8139bb1f1809bc36acb9764757b59d65.JPG

At that angle the D16/3 looks remarkably similar to my Basset Low-ke Prince Charles which cost 5 Guineas of my pocket money. Why don’t we ha guineas any more ?  Lovely looking engines they were. I regret I never saw one in the flesh. The J6 looks a bit special in the lower picture as well. I don’t think I saw one of those either. Great couple of pictures there, Gilbert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

I don't think you could ever call a Thompson Pacific mighty, but this one has certainly fallen. Dante has the task of taking a Class H to Ferme Park. Vans and opens at the front, but coal behind. Sadly, the New England A2s did sometimes handle duties such as this.

587072866_75131.JPG.d8aee2f847354b95f578f2a6a4cc4176.JPG

208929063_85132.JPG.c0c140b1dcd93dc6596989972019d394.JPG

I think must have been a bit of a rough one.  I remember a wonderful run behind Mallard ,hitting 90 on the way “Down” and arriving at PN early only to be replaced by Dante, to my disgust which then, to my even greater disgust, lost 6 minutes struggling  up ( or rather “Down”) to Grantham . In those days though I didn’t know anything about Thompson and his enigmatic Pacific’s.

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 7