great northern

Peterborough North

2 hours ago, great northern said:

The Bluebell line dominated the poll. Horsted Keynes 3 Sheffield Park 2, and quite a lot of single votes.

Today, we'll go from London to Southend, both routes, and include the branches from Shenfield and Witham to the coast.

The whole LTSR route is just wonderful , as were the 2-6-4 Tanks that worked it, ( all them, the Staniers, the Standards, and the odd Fowler). I’ll go for Chalkwell, one of the very few seaside stations in this country that were right next to the beach. You literally came off the train on to to beach, followed by a day playing in the sea, while watching the trains coming and going, then hoping the train back home would be non stop between Leigh on Sea and Upminster so you be hitting 80 mph by West Horndon back in the days when you could still have your head out the window. Just wonderful.

• Like 4

Laindon.

I lived a few minutes walk from the station at one time and often took photos in the immediate vicinity.

David

• Like 3

6 hours ago, great northern said:

The Bluebell line dominated the poll. Horsted Keynes 3 Sheffield Park 2, and quite a lot of single votes.

Today, we'll go from London to Southend, both routes, and include the branches from Shenfield and Witham to the coast.

Cor blimey Gilbert

Witham to Southend via the curve at Maldon connecting the Witham line with Maldon West,and Woodham Ferrers line, then the south curve at Wickford taking it on to the Southend Victoria line. There was a curve off the Maldon line on to the Colchester line at Witham. The plan was to enable rapid movement of troops from Shoeburyness to Colchester (or the other way). All these connecting curves were taken up very early on as they were never used despite it being stated as one of the advantages in building the Southend Branch, the Southminster branch and line to Maldon West when it was put forward to Parliament in obtaining the act to build these lines. 

When you say both routes do you mean Fenchurch St via Grays?

Or Fenchurch St via Laindon?

Or Fenchurch St via Bow and Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Grays?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Laindon?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Grays?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Laindon?

I am going for Woodgrange Park so I can watch the various freight workings to and from the north that bypass London, the boat trains from St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside and the Bank Holiday Specials form Bedford and Luton to Southend.

Edit If there is engineering works, say in the East Ham area, trains could always go from Fenchurch St via bow, via Forest Gate then via Grays or Laindon. :punish:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Groan 2
  • Funny 2

Leigh on Sea if only for the Beer & Cockles in 1966 whilst working at Tilbury Power Station.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor blimey Gilbert

Witham to Southend via the curve at Maldon connecting the Witham line with Maldon West,and Woodham Ferrers line, then the south curve at Wickford taking it on to the Southend Victoria line. There was a curve off the Maldon line on to the Colchester line at Witham. The plan was to enable rapid movement of troops from Shoeburyness to Colchester (or the other way). All these connecting curves were taken up very early on as they were never used despite it being stated as one of the advantages in building the Southend Branch, the Southminster branch and line to Maldon West when it was put forward to Parliament in obtaining the act to build these lines. 

When you say both routes do you mean Fenchurch St via Grays?

Or Fenchurch St via Laindon?

Or Fenchurch St via Bow and Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Grays?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Laindon?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Grays?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Laindon?

I am going for Woodgrange Park so I can watch the various freight workings to and from the north that bypass London, the boat trains from St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside and the Bank Holiday Specials form Bedford and Luton to Southend.

Edit If there is engineering works, say in the East Ham area, trains could always go from Fenchurch St via bow, via Forest Gate then via Grays or Laindon. :punish:

You could get the 7.35 am Sundays Only from Cricklewood, which is still London, to Southend Central , via Woodgrange Park or, in days of yore , an excursion from North Woolwich to Southend Victoria via the curve at Stratford, the name of which escapes me, but which was lifted around 1962 ish, I think.

• Like 1

Maldon East, what a fantastic station building.

Spoilt for choice to day!

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, for this poll, it has to be Upminster, since there were family connections there, with my great Uncle Lewis living there. He was on BR in the fifties until he died in the mid sixties. He was in the ER of BR, and a chief timetabler. 
When he came to visit us, in Beverley, he would always have railway books for me, just loved his visits. Happy times, long gone.

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Leigh-on-Sea.

Anyone for cockles?

7 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Leigh on Sea if only for the Beer & Cockles in 1966 whilst working at Tilbury Power Station.

I was too young for beer :(

• Like 1

Another close poll. 2 votes for Upminster and Leigh on Sea, and 2 for Southend. One of those, however, did not specify which station, and I know there were more than one, so its a tie between Upminster and Leigh.

Today, wayside stations between Shenfield and Ipswich, then the E.Suffolk to Yarmouth and Lowestoft, including the branches to the east of the line, so Clacton, Walton, Felixstowe, Harwich, Aldeburgh. Some really nice and quirky places included in this, so think hard. In fact, we'll have interesting and unusual rather than favourite, so its not so much personal memories today. You can even look at a map, if you wish.

• Like 1

Woodbridge. A skoolfriend lived there 40 years ago, walking distance for the charmingly-set station, and I could catch a train from London Friday evening and spend a weekend there. On one such occasion Deb came up by car, but it burnt a valve on the way so Michael and I spent the weekend rebuilding the head!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I was too young for beer :(

I was forced to partake by my Elders who claimed they were my Better's.  :D

The next morning my 19 years of age stood me in good stead against them at Breakfast. Never got hangovers then,but after 40 goodness me did I pay for it   :crazy:

Edited by CUTLER2579
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Between Shenfield and Ipswich - soooo many to choose from, but I'll choose Witham.  I used to visit it for work sometimes in the 1990s and it struck me as a well preserved country junction with most of its facilities still functioning, although by then only one of the two branches was open.

11 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I was forced to partake by my Elders who claimed they were my Better's.  :D

The next morning my 19 years of age stood me in good stead against them at Breakfast. Never got hangovers then,but after 40 goodness me did I pay for it   :crazy:

That sounds like a long time to get a hangover!

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

22 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

after 40 goodness me did I pay for it

After 40 pints you deserve all you got...

• Funny 2

Has to be Halesworth, not only for the connection with the Southwold Railway but also the peculiar level crossing that incorporated parts of the platforms.

• Like 2

This is a hard one to decide.

Witham, Colchester, Chelmsford, and Ipswich were all places I lived and worked, in fact I lived in Derby Road, just down from the station.

Then there is Manningtree, change here for the continent and Friton for a more sedate and old fashioned way of life. 

Then there are locations which in the past were quite busy railway wise despite no one living nearby. Marks Tey and Thorpe-le- Soken come to mind.

Today's choice for me takes us on a little trip. Ernie the lamp boy under the supervision of the signalman clears the line and our rail bus trundles off picking up speed as it goes under Catholic Bridge. The driver whistles to alert the wood worm to link arms as we cross the trestle bridge over the River Blackwater at the same time slowing down for today's station Wickham Bishops.

Here is a delightful model of Wickham Bishops by Len Wilkinson.

I worked with Ernie when we both worked at Marconi's and he was a lamp boy at Witham junction signal box when he left school and told me a few stories.

• Like 7

I’m with St. Enodoc, Halesworth for me.  Strangest Level Crossing gates in existence, plus those 3’ gauge curiosities to the sea.

Paul

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I’m with St. Enodoc, Halesworth for me.  Strangest Level Crossing gates in existence, plus those 3’ gauge curiosities to the sea.

Paul

Hi Paul

But isn't Halesworth on the East Suffolk line which is/was a mainline north of Ipswich?

• Agree 1
  • Groan 1

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

But isn't Halesworth on the East Suffolk line which is/was a mainline north of Ipswich?

It is Clive, and I did specifically include the East Suffolk,  because of places like Halesworth...... and Beccles...... and Saxmundham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

Clive

Your skim reading the Rules and Boundaries again?????

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1