Peterborough North

great northern

Shillingstone, a plug for the preservation scheme.

Never saw the S& D in action but have seen some remains such as the remains of the viaduct at Blandford, Bath Green Park and tracing the line around Corfe Mullen as we drive along the A31.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Shillingstone for me please Gilbert.

Well before the preservation scheme became well known I discovered it by accident whilst avoiding the main road traffic on my way home from a very tedious course in Bournemouth. It made the day  worthwhile!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evercreech Junction for today’s poll. And what a fascinating line the S & D was, including some, apparently, haunted places along it, especially the southern end of the first tunnel out of Bath, Combe Down Tunnel. 

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The S&D attracted the largest number of votes for quite a while, which i suppose shows its enduring fascination, even for those like me who have never been there. 11 different nominations, but Evercreech Junction was a very clear winner with 7 votes.

Today, let's go from Chester to Barmouth, and from there either south to Aberystwyth or north to Pwllheli.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I am allowed to include the branches, I will head for the Denbighshire coalfields and Rhostyllen, on the Rhos branch from Wrexham, which is where my paternal grandmother lived.

If not, I will choose Bala Junction, the site of which is near to Bala Sailing Club where I spent many a happy weekend in my youth.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another look at Milton, now framed by the roof, and waiting for the off.

2063288814_PNsouth.jpg.fbb4ca0cb40571d2ac2caf56351c25fd.jpg

The 'classic' shot of the old Peterborough North station; so many images from this viewpoint.

I know you've taken many from here before Gilbert but what particularly strikes me about this view has actually got nothing to do with your (beloved) loco or even Peter (Leyland)'s magnificent buildings. No, pure 'saddo' as I am, my eye is drawn to the track and groundwork and the lovely natural way in which the ballasted area around the sleepers, gives way to the typical compacted ash / earth (whatever they used) area bottom left. Too many layouts are spoilt for me by over-ballasting such areas or huge clumps of weeds and shrubs - but it looks spot on here, the product of generations of railwayman tramping it down to near flat with very little texture required. Very effective.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Penmaenpool gets my vote. A beautiful site next to the toll bridge over the Afon Mawddach and sitting outside the George III you can still imagine a train running by or a light loco from the shed at the other end of the carpark on its way to Dolgellau.

The beer and food in the George III are good too - especially on a summer evening!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

Well, it is rather done to death due to it now being a preserved line but I have to say that, in the context of the poll, there are few more dramatic settings for a railway station than good 'ol Llangollen, so that gets my vote today.

CIMG3522.JPG

(assuming we're talking the route following the Dee valley from Ruabon, as opposed to via Welshpool and over Talerdigg? Maybe both are valid?)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, it is rather done to death due to it now being a preserved line but I have to say that, in the context of the poll, there are few more dramatic settings for a railway station than good 'ol Llangollen, so that gets my vote today.

CIMG3522.JPG

(assuming we're talking the route following the Dee valley from Ruabon, as opposed to via Welshpool and over Talerdigg? Maybe both are valid?)

You've got the right one for today, I'm saving the other route for later, and we'll go there from Shrewsbury.

• RMweb Premium

Another easy winner, Llangollen with 5 votes.

We'll have a change. I've been working down to the smallest, which takes us to single track branch lines. So, as a whole what is/was the most evocative/scenic/interesting GW single track branch line in Cornwall? You don't have to have been there, I'm sure we have all seen plenty of pictures in books and magazines.