Peterborough North

great northern

24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The second time was a work golf day. There was a spot prize for the highest score at two holes - which two was not known to the players. I won easily, as I had the highest score at all 18.

I once got conned into competing participating making up the numbers in one of those. I also won a prize - 'Hacker of the Day'

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bowen Cooke - his were the George the Fifth 4-4-0s, right?

Generally well thought of, from what I understand. No.1800 'Coronation' was the 5000th loco built at Crewe works and starred (alongside 'Lion') in the 1937 publicity film for the launch of the Coronation Scot service.

We may yet see one reborn if this project ever comes to fruition.

So that's my vote for today

On 30/03/2021 at 20:34, Tim said:

As mentioned above, here are the first two locos basking in the sunlight the other day.  60501 first....

20210330_201851.jpg.4437d3ece08cb392db17baa3e51cd391.jpg

20210330_201924.jpg.fe42c0ecada9232cbf2a1b387a902b3e.jpg

The various changes.... Nameplates have been moved upwards by about a millimetre, new lower positioned numberplate on the smokebox door, correct sandbox fillers and the later lipped chimney.  The latter parts came from Graeme King, with new nameplates from 247 Developments.  The ejector pipe was also given a joggle where necessary. 

As for the factory green, which I am absolutely not a fan of, hiding it took a little more effort than usual.  As Gilbert mentions above, I followed how Steve 31A did his model of 60505.  It very nearly came close to a complete repaint, which I really didn't fancy having to do on a model which frankly shouldn't have needed if in the first place.  Anyway,  it is what it is!

Now for 61619....

20210329_175742.jpg.f60d0f0e7d26168706d3b41ec4909ab4.jpg

20210329_183701.jpg.833852dce18a863b5218746ab9b3dd85.jpg

By comparison, no way near as much effort required to get the final result.  A new smokebox door, from my O1 body (soon to become an O4/8), and additional washout plugs to convert it from a part 2 loco to a part 6.  Otherwise, a factory loco without needing renumbering, together with etched plates from CGW.

As Gilbert says, there was more to come....

Good morning Tim,

I'm commenting here about the A2/2. This is exquisite work.

The reason why I'm commenting about the A2/2 is because (as you probably know) I assisted Hornby with the development of the A2/2 and the A2/3. 

Yes, I know there have been livery issues, but what you've shown is just how much of an outstanding model this is at source. Why do I believe this to be the case (other than, it might be said, I have a vested interest)? Because of what you've achieved with it, using great skill. What you charge Gilbert for your services, I have no idea (it's none of my business, anyway), but I'll bet it's a lot less than if one were to, say, kit-build an equivalent, erected and fully-painted to a professional standard. In my case, that would be in excess of twelve hundred pounds, all in! 

Yet now, as you have shown by your work, by using an RTR product as a basis, a splendid model is the result, at a fraction of the cost of a complete build.

My congratulations,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Back to a day in 1958 at PN, and Woolwinder waiting for the signal to leave.

324707065_2552.JPG.b8a9fd41538512bf3d1dd9b2bcec08fe.JPG

Then one of our occasional forays into rolling stock pictures. Our man spotted this in the formation of an M&GN train, Gresley Dia 211 CK.

1781601211_3CK.JPG.936a0c6c5f26afc033b5923ba4ea0a52.JPG

Is that a converted Hornby?

• RMweb Premium

Fowler 2.6.4 as I reckon the Standard Teddy Bear was based on it?

Golf: I could throw the bloody ball further than I could hit it with a Driver, but could do 200yds with a 7 Iron! Why? One, and once only once I did a 9 hole short course in 19. I had witnesses too. I wasn't drunk or on Crack

A2 weathering; just stunning.

Also hurrah for the S15; a noble Mixed Traffic loco.

Good afternoon all.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tim,

I'm commenting here about the A2/2. This is exquisite work.

The reason why I'm commenting about the A2/2 is because (as you probably know) I assisted Hornby with the development of the A2/2 and the A2/3. 

Yes, I know there have been livery issues, but what you've shown is just how much of an outstanding model this is at source. Why do I believe this to be the case (other than, it might be said, I have a vested interest)? Because of what you've achieved with it, using great skill. What you charge Gilbert for your services, I have no idea (it's none of my business, anyway), but I'll bet it's a lot less than if one were to, say, kit-build an equivalent, erected and fully-painted to a professional standard. In my case, that would be in excess of twelve hundred pounds, all in! 

Yet now, as you have shown by your work, by using an RTR product as a basis, a splendid model is the result, at a fraction of the cost of a complete build.

My congratulations,

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon Tony!

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words.  I was indeed aware of your involvement in what is, as I fully agree, an excellent model at its source.  I remain very impressed with the level of detail and indeed clever design of both it and the A2/3, leaving aside the livery issues.  I'm already plotting how one might utilise the chassis and elements of the bodyshell to create an A2/1 (for myself).  That, however, is a different story and indeed not for here.

I think you're almost certainly right about how the cost of one of these to reach this sort of end result, versus a full kit-build, would be vastly cheaper to achieve.  The ease by which one of these can be fitted with DCC, and indeed sound, is great, for those wishing to do so.  Both sub-classes produced are highly impressive indeed.

Once again, many thanks for your kind words. 

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tim said:

Afternoon Tony!

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words.  I was indeed aware of your involvement in what is, as I fully agree, an excellent model at its source.  I remain very impressed with the level of detail and indeed clever design of both it and the A2/3, leaving aside the livery issues.  I'm already plotting how one might utilise the chassis and elements of the bodyshell to create an A2/1 (for myself).  That, however, is a different story and indeed not for here.

I think you're almost certainly right about how the cost of one of these to reach this sort of end result, versus a full kit-build, would be vastly cheaper to achieve.  The ease by which one of these can be fitted with DCC, and indeed sound, is great, for those wishing to do so.  Both sub-classes produced are highly impressive indeed.

Once again, many thanks for your kind words. 

Cheers,

Tim

My pleasure, Tim,

Praise (and recognition) should always be given where it's due.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I don't know as much about Bowen-Cooke or LNWR locos in general as I should.  I do have a reprint of his 1894 book "British Locomotives 1894" but that was published before he got the top job.

In his “West Coast 4-6-0s at Work”, C P W Atkins claims George the Fifth to be “by common consent one of the most outstanding pre-1914 British steam locomotive designs”. 

Checking my 1944 ABC I find that one of the survivors possessed a name with a silent P (as in swimming bath).  So Ptarmigan confirms my choice of the George Vs for today’s poll.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I have a rant please? Can I?  In matchplay golf, a hole where both players get the same score is halved. Always has been. And when a match is level, it is "all square". Again, always has been. I think it is called tradition. But, in last weeks World Matchplay, held in America, suddenly both became "tied". Now, what generally cretinous yanks want to do is, I suppose, a matter for them, but the British commentators just went along with it, which I find disgraceful.

It could be of course that anything with any subtlety is a bit too hard for the majority of them. After all, lots of very fat men in shorts do shout "Get in the hole", when a player is driving off on a 660 yard long hole. or "You da man". That one is generally yelled in the middle of the player's swing.

Finished now, and I feel a bit better for it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12