Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Are we to understand that Gilbert might look like an insect................................................... on the inside of the window(s)?

A. Fly.

I am relatively insignificant, but I don't buzz around a lot., and last time I looked, I only had two legs. Are some birds short sighted?

• RMweb Premium

Might it have been a dimbo Juvenile Blackbird wot looks quite like a speckled Turdus? They be inexperienced about glass and stuff and it might have been out on one of the first flights and it knew not where its' parents were?

O. R. Nithologist

Isn't it a bit early for this year's birds to have hatched? This one was quite well grown, though it did look a bit immature.

Well, we managed to get Alfred Hitchcock into the thread, one of our better sorties into irrelevance. So far as I am aware he never made any films about a J6 though, so this one gets us back on track.

attachicon.gifJ6 3.JPG

and then we have another unsuccessful attempt at copying that prototype shot, but it still doesn't matter, as there is a B17 involved.

attachicon.gif1635 2.JPG

but is it rather more successful in black and white?

attachicon.gif1635 2.JPG

G'day Gents.

I like this, Childish birds, and Hitchcock, now a J6 Possessed by the Devil, would have been a great movie.

manna

PS. Like the unpossessed J6

Edited by manna

Gilbert, what brand is that Gresley BG and dare I ask how much you paid for it? I picked a Hornby one (hardly ever used) up at the Stanier Mogul Group stand at Kidderminster at a cost of £20 on Sunday - a bargain when you consider they normally sell at £40+

Lots to do today, so I'll have to deal with replies later. The signalman has now correctly identified th 5.50am from KX, which arrives behind 60109 Hermit, and passes the waiting J6.

attachicon.gifJ6 and 105 2.JPG

i have another lovely Andrew C Ingram photo taken by the coaling stage, again reproduced with permission and acknowledging copyright.

attachicon.gifB2 at water crane.jpg

I suspected that I couldn't get anywhere near copying this, and I was right. I don't have 61607, so 61603 had to stand in, despite missing Westy pump. As I say, this is nowhere near a comparison picture, but it does make quite a nice one in its own right.

attachicon.gif1603.JPG

Whilst I have liked the B17s and the B2s ever since being taken to Liverpool Street when I was very small I think they look at their best with a group standard tender. I am right in thinking that's a NER job coupled to 61603?

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, what brand is that Gresley BG and dare I ask how much you paid for it? I picked a Hornby one (hardly ever used) up at the Stanier Mogul Group stand at Kidderminster at a cost of £20 on Sunday - a bargain when you consider they normally sell at £40+

The BG is from a Kirk kit, and I must have had it for over 25 years. I can't even now remember whether I built it or bought it.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I have liked the B17s and the B2s ever since being taken to Liverpool Street when I was very small I think they look at their best with a group standard tender. I am right in thinking that's a NER job coupled to 61603?

Chaz

It is Chaz. Hand me downs for a number of B2s, and this was one of them.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it a bit early for this year's birds to have hatched? This one was quite well grown, though it did look a bit immature.

Alternatively it might have been an Adult male challenging what it saw as a a rival for territorial rights - I seem other avian species adopt the same behaviour at this time of year (mating season), especially if the windows are clean giving a good reflection.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

First up tonight we have another picture of Hermit, now a bit closer to its stop at Platform 6.

post-98-0-49879500-1491946914_thumb.jpg

a few minutes pass, and 60055 then appears on the Down main with the 8.00am KX - Leeds, and passes the J6, still patiently waiting for the loading and unloading of parcels to finish. The train has only come from Westwood yard, and will go no further than East station, so it seems to be a slightly peculiar service really.

post-98-0-94463000-1491947029_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Mistle thrushes nest early and fledged young might well be about now. This young bird was photographed in April (2009) at Blashford Lakes reserve in Hampshire.

DSC_5502-1%20600%20x%20455_zpsplslicg3.j

Its naieve behaviour allowed an unusually close approach for a snap.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mistle thrushes nest early and fledged young might well be about now. This young bird was photographed in April (2009) at Blashford Lakes reserve in Hampshire.

DSC_5502-1%20600%20x%20455_zpsplslicg3.j

Its naieve behaviour allowed an unusually close approach for a snap.

HTH

Chaz

It was certainly a more mature bird than that one Chaz. When I first moved here twenty years ago we had several mistle thrushes in the area. This discussion has made me realise that it is quite some time since I saw one.

• RMweb Premium

Cloud and gloom today. Not used to that lately. Never mind, here is another angle on 60055 and the J6.

post-98-0-85094400-1491987934_thumb.jpg

I've decided that I can live with some photos of trains on that curve, as the whole composition looks right, and it is a shot of the model, so the fact that the curve is far too sharp for the real thing doesn't matter. we then have another shot of 60055, which has now got itself straightened out.

post-98-0-86467400-1491988159_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

We have a pair of magpies in our garden most days. They don't seriously bother the tits and sparrows etc for which we have feeders. But yesterday there were two pairs of magpies! Not good. There were two tussles taking place on the lawn, with considerable risk that an eye would be gouged. So I went out and clapped my hands, and they all took their turf wars elsewhere. Spring fever!

• Like 2

Gilbert, supposing you were to hold an 'open day' for your followers and I brought along a model of Tornado, would you let me run it? I know it isn't a proper BR loco but it does look good at the head of some mk1s

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, supposing you were to hold an 'open day' for your followers and I brought along a model of Tornado, would you let me run it? I know it isn't a proper BR loco but it does look good at the head of some mk1s

Sorry Liam, I don't do open days. There are a number of reasons, but the main one is that three people is the comfortable maximum to have in the room at one time. I have to be able to get around easily to set some of the trains up.

• RMweb Premium

An opportunity now to compare the traditional and new fangled front ends of 60109 and 60055.

post-98-0-97240000-1492030861_thumb.jpg

and then a local V2 heads South.

post-98-0-13250000-1492030929_thumb.jpg

And now, after biomechanics and a long golf lesson and practice on the same day, I shall retire to bed.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Grief. I am actually still up later than you. That makes a change as I'm usually crashed out by around 9 p.m.

Phil

Sorry Phil, I would have replied earlier, but couldn't, as I was asleep. :jester:  Eight and a half good hours shut eye, and I'm raring to go. To another meeting. :sad_mini:

• RMweb Premium

V2 again this morning. I reckon I could do with about another ten of them.

post-98-0-29102100-1492071223_thumb.jpg

And then I focused on the A3 in the excursion platform. Actually, I had done this shot a day or two earlier, but when looking at the image closely I found that the engine's tender was derailed. This train has a long stopover though, and so was still in position, giving me another chance. Back on track, and some fiddling about with photoshopping produced this, taken as the train was finally pulling away.

post-98-0-73562200-1492071526_thumb.jpg

I think this captures the 50s black and white image look quite well, maybe because the ballast hasn't got bleached so badly in this area. I am going to do something about that soon, honest. I have to ask, do you notice the corner of the room in this shot? I couldn't be bothered to photoshop the whole thing just to get rid of that, but it jumps out and hits me and spoils the reality effect I'm looking for. Am I being oversensitive as usual though?

• Like 10