Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

Mark, thank you, I've been waiting for an update to Frankland for so long, but blimey, it was worth the wait.

Not only is the actual modelling sublime, but the invention and thought behind your presentations is superb in itself.

Just love the Ladybird and other book covers, and the cigarette cards.

And finally, I get to hum along to cinema music whilst watching a video.

What more could one ask!

Brilliant mate.

Al.

Absolutely delightful - total pleasure to have another update from my favourite South London suburb. I take my hat off to you Mark - your creativity, skill and sheer sense of fun make your posts unmissable. Thank you for brightening (Brightoning?) my evening and dispelling the Sunday evening blues with an update that I will return to again and again to make sure that I've spotted all of the little details that add up to such a wonderfully compelling alternative universe.

David

As always an utter delight. I sincerely do hope you appreciate how good this thread is - it is beyond modelling, and has crossed into some weird but superb artistic entertainment. Your work and presentation is outstanding. Please do keep going - even if it takes many more years to finish the model, I will look forward to these updates as the highlight of RMWeb!

David

Simply brilliant! Most excellent update!

Must say though that I was surprised that we didn't have to have a mad dash out of the picture house before they played the National Anthem....!!

Wonderful stuff Mark!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark - what a post. A real Frankland classic. I like how subtly you blur the line between reality and imagination, and always with history and first class modelling as the backbone. It's 4D railway modelling, I think  :)

Inspirational. Perhaps not aspirational because, like the Olympics, I know I'll never compete, but I really do enjoy watching.

Layout update of the year, without a doubt. Quite possibly layout of the decade imho. Well done.

Hi Mark,

I've been looking forward to an update and it was well worth the wait. Your story line behind the model is absolutely fantastic and your creativity and attention to detail is stunning!

The videos are also a nice touch. By far my favorite thread on RMweb!

Looking forward to the next installment!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Thank you all and thank you all very much again. I really do appreciate your kind comments :)

I did quite like Nick Bastable's comment 'Totally bonkers' - because funnily enough that's exactly what the men in white coats said just before they took me away ;)

-------------------------------------

Either way: Frankland is such a wonderful getaway for me and I really enjoy sharing it with you.

I'll have to build a hotel so that some of you can come and stay :)

Mark

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mark

your style always invokes shades of Iain Rice in the early 80's whose style I  thoroughly enjoyed 

no offence meant by the Bonkers statement its your world after all   :declare:  and very nice it is even if not 2mm    :jester:  but far exceeds my own efforts

NIck

Have we crossed wires Nick?

No offence was read - maybe it's just my Monty Python sense of humour? I find the absurd and ironic quite amusing and that's how I took your comment, in a jokey way  :)

As to exceeding your own efforts: In my books anyone that does anything in 2mm is way above me. Seriously. I read the manuals/standards and I know I will never get there. 2mm is another level altogether.

:)

• Like 1

I check back on a regular basis to see if there's a newsreel from Frankland, and this one certainly didn't disappoint. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to put together such a wonderful and fun presentation, to create a compelling world in miniature, and to share it all with us.

Looking forward, as always, to the next update!

Arp

Quality presentation, it helps set the scene and era, but more importantly (to me) is the sublime and peerless modelling.

Keep it up. And please be a little more regular with the updates.

G

• RMweb Gold

A wonderful recreation of empire style news reels, I do think the property values of Frankland will increase with the newfangled electric trains. I look forward to the next inspiring look at the developments in the empire - must check with my local book seller to check on the 5a book series I must be missing that one and Vic will certainly enjoy the profits from the new volume in his ever popular series, I will order a copy straight away, may even try telephone ordering as this is now available and the excellent postal service will surely deliver in just a few days and before breakfast to boot !

many thanks for helping fill in the missing parts of history.

Robert  

• Like 5