• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Thanks - If its of any help I use the following:

Mininatur fibres

004-23 autumn 4.5mm

004-24 winter 4.5mm

006-23 autumn 6.0mm

006-34 winter 6.5mm

I think the days of grass flock are fading out...although its good to put a base of that first I found.

Best, Pete

Pete,

Many thanks for that detail. I really like the blend you have on your layout so that is a good starting point for me to try out. I will let you know when I actually get round to it and may look to you for further advice. My plan is to build up the vegetation from the grass mats/ hanging basket liner currently in place using the polyfibre and course turf materials and some of the those branch bits from Bachmann and Hornby to create the heather, gorse etc, and then in the bare patches add in thee static grass. Hopefully this will get me close to how I want it all to look.

Thanks again,

Mark

Thanks for the recommendation Pete.

Will be watching your progress with static grass with interest, Mark, as it's something I plan to add to Waverley West at some point too. Finding ones that are not overbright can be tricky sometimes, but obviously the not too infrequent rain will help to brighten the grass up on Rannoch Moor!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Everyone,

Having found the Stobart Group link on the net I decided that it was about time to get on with the dreaded viaduct! Its not that I don't like it its just the realisation of trying to paint it all once it is complete. I will perhaps learn more from that other great railway bridge in Scotland when I jump off it in May! (No seriously I am jumping off it but there will be a rope attached - but more on this later!) I have worked out what I need to do to and the list involves adding a lot of angle T sections and then some I uprights which will form the main rail supports and then there will be 2 runs and a thicker top rail as found on most of the viaducts. I am still deciding whether to go for the quite neat block pillars as found on some or more rough stone pillars using the block work for the track level pillars that I have made over the last few days. I have also painted the top decking area with some Humbrol Gunmetal acrylic after painting in the green metal work sections. This will all get weathered down a bit at the end but it is meant to represent the work carried out in recent years on the actual structure. Having seen some more photos of the viaducts a lot seem to have quite large beams on the under side at angles to the main beams so I have added these in with some plastic weld to give the structure a bit more realism. The photos will hopefully make more sense!

Any questions/comments welcome as always,

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-88282300-1300833582_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-04092500-1300833602_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-93659800-1300833619_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I will perhaps learn more from that other great railway bridge in Scotland when I jump off it in May! (No seriously I am jumping off it but there will be a rope attached - but more on this later!)

Thanks,

Mark

C'mon Mark, you can't leave us like that! Are you doing it for charity? Surely you wouldn't do it just for "fun"... would you?

If you're looking for sponsors, count me in.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Everyone,

I had a busy but it might look like quite a destructive day on Rannoch. Due to needing to get at the viaduct for painting and assembly of all the parts etc - the only way to do this was to move the board out and round in my room as it was right up against the wall behind the door. I have moved all 4 boards around a bit so as to work on them - I still had some soldering to do for the point motor wires so I turned the south end board on its side and got this done before doing the same to the pointwork on the viaduct board. It looks a little odd with the boards laying on their sides but it does make wiring so much easier to do. I have also made a start on cutting plastic strip for the hand rails - 64 uprights in total and worked out and now purchased the final bits to get this all done. A few photos to show some of the progress. At least by having the layout in sections stops me playing trains and makes me get on with everything. It won't be joined up again until the backscenes are added, wiring completed for track circuits and points and the viaduct structure finished!

Dave thanks for picking up on my previous comment.

On the 8th May 2011 I am helping to raise money for ###### Buds of Scotland which is a charity supporting people with Breast Cancer in West Lothian in central Scotland. Its run completely by volunteers so all the money raised goes to the work of the charity directly and Mags the lady that runs it was amazed at my willingness to volunteer for this event! Who couldn't resist the opportunity to abseil off the Forth Bridge. Having travelled over it by train for 3 years when I worked in Kirkcaldy to be able to do a 165 foot SAS style freefall abseil onto the beach below was to good an opportunity to miss and a great way to raise some money for a great local cause. If you would like to help me over the edge on the day please folow my link in my signature box to the just giving page I have set up so any money you give goes directly to the charity.

Many thanks for your support in this and any questions/comments welcome!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-14296800-1301440660_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-99626200-1301440681_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-71611500-1301440699_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-06480000-1301440718_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Andi & Alex,

The wife and a couple of freinds will be at the bottom taking all the pictures on the day! The last one I did was for the blind off the Ocean Terminal shopping centre in Leith its fine once you get over the edge ts just that bit before as you start to lean backwards! Still should be fun.

No rush on those 60's Andi the lines blocked by the engineering works at the moment! Although that red 60 will look pretty good on it!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and a massive thanks to Carl for not only braving the elements but for sharing all those excellent photos on here. They will be really useful for getting more of the detail right. There are angles and viewpoints I havn't seen before and the ones looking across at the sidings and the south end of the station are especially useful as I still have a bit of work to do at this end. I have only just bought a pack of corrugated metal sheeting to make the old rusting hut that use to stand next to the green wooden one and your photos confirm what I thought from a photo I saw on line recently that it has been demolished and the old caravan removed. Will I still model them? The sidings look a lot cleaner with all that grey ballast on them as well. I'll have to get more of it right now I've seen these!

Many thanks Carl - hopefully catch up with you at Perth again this year.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and a massive thanks to Carl for not only braving the elements but for sharing all those excellent photos on here. They will be really useful for getting more of the detail right. There are angles and viewpoints I havn't seen before and the ones looking across at the sidings and the south end of the station are especially useful as I still have a bit of work to do at this end. I have only just bought a pack of corrugated metal sheeting to make the old rusting hut that use to stand next to the green wooden one and your photos confirm what I thought from a photo I saw on line recently that it has been demolished and the old caravan removed. Will I still model them? The sidings look a lot cleaner with all that grey ballast on them as well. I'll have to get more of it right now I've seen these!

Many thanks Carl - hopefully catch up with you at Perth again this year.

Thanks,

Mark

hi mark

i will be going back soon in better wether, so if you need pictures of anything just let me know.

and i will be there at perth show so will do m8

Hi Everyone,

Seeing how you all like LL Blue this is the nearest I can get to recreate those happy days. 37 425 heading south bound with my new rake of Regional Railways Mk 2's from Model Rail. These aren't for use on Rannoch but will eventually form a 5 coach Barrow to Manchester Club train with a 31/4 on the front so I can re-create the trains I saw and travelled on when I was younger! But that is a whole new layout for the future!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-21629100-1302029795_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-55641900-1302029814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3