Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

There's no doubt at all that the Clans got around more than some people think, and on the WCML, some of the shedmasters sent them back Northwards as quickly as possible.

Clearly, some sheds used them for filling in turns, and as a result, they did arrive in some strange locations.

Their alleged performance and poor reputation went before them, and some drivers were not that keen on taking them out on the road - although some did, and thought that they were actually up to the job asked of them - I think that sometimes the fact that they looked like Brits led crews to expect them to perform like Brits.

I believe that Hornby have done a very good job here, and have taken a punt again on a small and unusual class which has paid dividends - now then, what about 71000?

Guest Max Stafford

Being a Kingmoor machine, it could have been on a running-in turn, following a shop visit at Crewe where the class was built and overhauled.

Dave.

Hi Neal,

Getting back to the model, here is part of my reply in the 'Schools' thread about my experience with the Hornby Clan 72000 which you have read but others might find of interest?

I was surprised and pleased on unpacking my 'Clan' that there were no brackets and thence set about installing an R8249 decoder in the tender. (saving myself a few pounds! ) The brake shoes obstruct the two retaining screws, not sure about the six ? main screws so I bent the shoes a little to loosen the screws, one broke off, but will glue back on when I add the rods later, when I have a cradle. The decoder socket No.1 'pin' requires the loom to go around one of the towers which take the retaining screws, but it fits OK. The rear plate across the coal bunker on the tender fell off.

When the engine and tender were receiving the 4-pin connection on soft material, carefully avoiding pressure on the whistle and tender etc., both cab roof sliding panels fell off.

But all is back together, except brake rods which really do need a cradle for installation, and to cut a long story short, it runs PERFECTLY, looks great too, no "visible" damage, no waddles, utterly silent and smooth from the box. Oh and there was no coal, but I have a lump, and a hammer....

To my eye the model looks dead right. The lagged pipework is a bit 'pale green' (was that just the light?") A truly amazing model like most RTR 00 these days. Cab detail, as in the 'Schools', is astounding.

It runs very very well, as good as the very best of the dozens of recent 00 RTR models I have. Pity the close tender coupling is fractionally too close for type 3 curves, but it's a near thing. Mea culpa for not running type 4... or so!

Pic of two new Hornby locos, must add bits, we won't mention the likelihood of a Clan meeting an original 'Schools', at least not this type of Clan... I'm sure it must have happened somewhere, photos do not lie! <g>

0_clan_schools_1abcd_r900.jpg

• Like 1

Rob,

If you can bear to take a file to the intermediate buffers on the tender front, it can be got round 3rd radius on the closer loco-tender spacing, with essentially no detriment to external appearance. What you do is, as viewed and working from above, is obliquely cut back the faces of the intermediate buffers, so that they are angled, with the shorter length on the outside edges, Then when the loco and tender assume an angle to each other to take a curve, the intermediate buffers don't come into contact so soon, eanbling a sharper curve to be negotiated. Because these buffers are only visible in side view and usually only in silhouette, by retaining most of the orignal length on the inside of each buffer, the appearance of the complete loco and tender does not suffer.

Guest Max Stafford

Beat me to it, 34! ;) Yes Rob, I've used this bodge on my 'Brits' and as has been said, you won't notice the shortened intermediates, you'll be too busy looking at the realistic gap! :)

Cracking model, isn't it? B)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

As said above I removed the intermediate buffers on my 'Brit' made it look much better when running close coupled. Intend to do the same on the 'Clan' I collected yesterday. Not had a proper look at it yet, but renumbering will be interesting with that moulding on the cabside. Not sure what it is? will have to dig the books out tonight to find out.

Once renamed and numbered off to Dr Dirt (aka Roomey) for a liberal coat of Grot!!!!

Will post pictures of this when complete.

I have a Hornby Clan which looks good and ran faultlessly when tested last weekend.

From the RCTS book on the BR Standards - Vol 1:

72006 worked a special and was photographed at Old Oak Common on 8/12/63. Home Counties rail tour which went to Swindon.

72005 made it to Bristol TM on 9/1/60 on a service train, returning next day on another service train.

One was trialled on the Great Eastern, who didn't like it as they preferred their Britannias.

Also, I have a vague recollection that one made it to Marylebone on a Starlight Special but this may be a myth. Clans were known to work those trains north from Beighton to Carlisle (they avoided Leeds City so did not reverse along the way).

I believe the little moulding on the cab side on the late crest version is a representation of the tablet catcher mechanism. However. if you look at photos it would seem that this moulding is a bit too low! The moulding should finish just above the numbers and not in amongst them! I think Hornby have measured this as half way between the lining and not half way down the cab. It makes re-numbering quite difficult and I, for one, have sliced of the projection and intend to replace with a small piece of Plastruct a bit higher on the cabside.

Guest stuartp

A look at the photos in "Power of the BR Standard Pacifics" suggests that the tablet catcher on at least 007 and 008 should impinge slightly on the numbers but not to the extent that it does on the model. I think the catcher is slightly too low and the numbers are slightly too high. If you compare the relative positions of the tablet catcher and the numbers to the footplate valancing, the centre of the catcher should be in line with the top edge of the footplate, on the model the top of the catcher is in line. Likewise the numbers on the model are centered on the footplate, as they were on the Brittania. On the Clan they should be slightly below.

Just to add to the point about the tablet catcher on the cab side.

From as many photos as I can see, the Polmadie Clans (72000-4) do not appear to have this addition, only the Kingmoor ones, possibly for working to Stranraer. I may be wrong here, but I have examined a fair number of photos and found no evidence of this item being fitted to 66A machines!

Hi Neal,

Getting back to the model, here is part of my reply in the 'Schools' thread about my experience with the Hornby Clan 72000 which you have read but others might find of interest?

I was surprised and pleased on unpacking my 'Clan' that there were no brackets and thence set about installing an R8249 decoder in the tender. (saving myself a few pounds! ) The brake shoes obstruct the two retaining screws, not sure about the six ? main screws so I bent the shoes a little to loosen the screws, one broke off, but will glue back on when I add the rods later, when I have a cradle. The decoder socket No.1 'pin' requires the loom to go around one of the towers which take the retaining screws, but it fits OK. The rear plate across the coal bunker on the tender fell off.

When the engine and tender were receiving the 4-pin connection on soft material, carefully avoiding pressure on the whistle and tender etc., both cab roof sliding panels fell off.

But all is back together, except brake rods which really do need a cradle for installation, and to cut a long story short, it runs PERFECTLY, looks great too, no "visible" damage, no waddles, utterly silent and smooth from the box. Oh and there was no coal, but I have a lump, and a hammer....

To my eye the model looks dead right. The lagged pipework is a bit 'pale green' (was that just the light?") A truly amazing model like most RTR 00 these days. Cab detail, as in the 'Schools', is astounding.

It runs very very well, as good as the very best of the dozens of recent 00 RTR models I have. Pity the close tender coupling is fractionally too close for type 3 curves, but it's a near thing. Mea culpa for not running type 4... or so!

Pic of two new Hornby locos, must add bits, we won't mention the likelihood of a Clan meeting an original 'Schools', at least not this type of Clan... I'm sure it must have happened somewhere, photos do not lie! <g>

0_clan_schools_1abcd_r900.jpg

Sorry Rob,

I only just found this posting, the models look great!

Glad the Clan runs well. I had three Hornby Std 4's before I got a 'complete' one, and even this has a slight tight spot.

Whilst (like you!?) my layout has a 'run anything policy' - with lots of permutations of stock to suit various era's and locations - the Clan doesn't push my buttons.

I did however succumb to an LMS Jinty today, which is beautiful.

As I have a 'significant' birthday in the new year, I have been asked what I would like. With all the recent releases I really am spoilt for choice for loco's - and CofT is sorely tempting - but I might end up indulging my RC hobby for a change. The snow we now have would be great to test a Rock Crawler!

N

Being a Kingmoor machine, it could have been on a running-in turn, following a shop visit at Crewe where the class was built and overhauled.

Dave.

Dave, Cowlairs also looked after them, apparently from 1958 onwards. Here are pictures of a couple of them with what looks like the shed allocation painted on the front bufferbeam in the LNER style - 72005 at Kingmoor , 72007 at Kingmoor.

(Incidentally, here's another photo of a Clan which may - or may not - be of interest to 'Chard - 72005 at .... )

(like you!?) my layout has a 'run anything policy' - with lots of permutations of stock to suit various era's and locations - the Clan doesn't push my buttons.

I did however succumb to an LMS Jinty today, which is beautiful.

As I have a 'significant' birthday in the new year, I have been asked what I would like. With all the recent releases I really am spoilt for choice for loco's - and CofT is sorely tempting - but I might end up indulging my RC hobby for a change. The snow we now have would be great to test a Rock Crawler!

N

Yes I run anything, usually in correct era/location but not always.

Certainly much to tempt the buyer around now or soon. I have decided not to buy a CofT because of high price to NZ and have held off the two new Hornby DCC sound offerings... the A4 exhaust doesn't sound too great in this;

but I await reviews with interest. Equally they are quite expensive, and my diesel sound models have proven to be more of an interesting gimmick than a very good 're-creation' of reality, for my taste at least. Although I can see how DCC sound could be very technically interesting, Howes seem very good.

I think the new Castle will be good, but then I rather like the existing versions too given their low price and the 5-pole version. 50 quid I can afford more-or-less on a whim, but not 120 Pounds

I'm ahead of you on birthdays, mine is 29 December. Nyah nyah

oh, and I have three Hornby 4MTs 75005 75062 and the weathered one excellent models but very fragile and cab front glass fell out of one... tricky to poke back into place, I don't think I'll put decoders in them, part of my layout is DC only, and I often change the rest back to DC. Great models and all three run well on DC... not quite as 'perfect' as Britannias and Gresleys sometimes achieve.

The Clan is not the most charismatic or impressive of locos perhaps but has a certain Riddles charm. .. and the Hornby model really is superb. Dead smooth at all speeds DCC *AND* DC .

Also the Southern 'Schools' 903 has an adhesion issue like some T9s... slips with four Maunsells on a type 2 radius section of my nominally flat layout, otherwise fine. The factory fitted DCC has directional hesitation sometimes when starting on DC., like some other locos... seems rather random but no doubt there's a reason.

Rob

Yes I run anything, usually in correct era/location but not always.

Certainly much to tempt the buyer around now or soon. I have decided not to buy a CofT because of high price to NZ and have held off the two new Hornby DCC sound offerings... the A4 exhaust doesn't sound too great in this;

but I await reviews with interest. Equally they are quite expensive, and my diesel sound models have proven to be more of an interesting gimmick than a very good 're-creation' of reality, for my taste at least. Although I can see how DCC sound could be very technically interesting, Howes seem very good.

I think the new Castle will be good, but then I rather like the existing versions too given their low price and the 5-pole version. 50 quid I can afford more-or-less on a whim, but not 120 Pounds

I'm ahead of you on birthdays, mine is 29 December. Nyah nyah

oh, and I have three Hornby 4MTs 75005 75062 and the weathered one excellent models but very fragile and cab front glass fell out of one... tricky to poke back into place, I don't think I'll put decoders in them, part of my layout is DC only, and I often change the rest back to DC. Great models and all three run well on DC... not quite as 'perfect' as Britannias and Gresleys sometimes achieve.

The Clan is not the most charismatic or impressive of locos perhaps but has a certain Riddles charm. .. and the Hornby model really is superb. Dead smooth at all speeds DCC *AND* DC .

Also the Southern 'Schools' 903 has an adhesion issue like some T9s... slips with four Maunsells on a type 2 radius section of my nominally flat layout, otherwise fine. The factory fitted DCC has directional hesitation sometimes when starting on DC., like some other locos... seems rather random but no doubt there's a reason.

Rob

On the Schools, I had the same issue with Brighton. This was due to the front bogie support bracket being too low, thus lifting the front drivers from the track.

Removing the bracket (just one or two screws as I recall), there was a small blob of butyl mastic beneath (which appears to serve no purpose). Removing this allowed the bracket to seat correctly on the chassis, and allowed the bogie to 'float' on it's spring, placing weight on the front drivers (the ones with the tyre!)

Subsequently it pulls like a horse, 8 Mk1's no worries.

Curiously my Black one didn't suffer this issue.

If this is the problem with your's it's an easy fix.

N

On the Schools, I had the same issue with Brighton. This was due to the front bogie support bracket being too low, thus lifting the front drivers from the track.

[...]

N

Thanks Neal,

Oddly the Schools 903 only suffers traction-loss on a left-hand type2 curve, and has good weight on the front drivers , the test being on level track or glass plate if your are fussy, press down on chimney and rear drivers should lift 1-2mm, and I suspect some other issue like poor rubber tyre/materials/fit or maybe a slightly warped frame with the four drivers being slightly unequally 'footed', it pulls OK generally, but I haven't tested it with longer trains. I too have a 'Brighton' which pulls brilliantly.

903 is about to get front steps and cylinder pipes for photos so type 2 radius won't be allowed! <g> I just tested 903 on right-hand type 3 running etc to see if it's different. It took 7-total easily, but with the carriages on the curve, engine on straight, at one point it slipped slightly. I suspect the tyre-rubber coefficient of friction and weight-on-driver might be a factor.

The slipping is minor and quite realistic.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

CAn anyone tell me please - did clans have black nameplates, or all red?

From colour photos of BR standards I've seen, I would suggest red backing to nameplates with the original BR livery and lion/wheel symbol. Black backing for post 1956 BR livery with the lion/crown heraldic crest.

It has been noted that some main works eventually reverted back to painting the nameplate backing in the more popular red!

As usual, a colour photo of the loco and period you are modelling is the only sure way.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Cheers Paul! :rolleyes:

Not guaranteed to be 100% reliable,but my own recollection of the period is that the 66A quintet had black backings throughout their short lives. This not (yet!) undermined by a photo suggesting otherwise. (The only doubt I have is that 72001 Clan Cameron MAY possibly have carried blue plates for a while,as a result of its specially-authorised working on the West Highland in connection with a gathering of the clan).

The Kingmoor locos quite definitely did have red backings. However,I have a feeling that they too carried black for some years after delivery.

On this basis,,Hornby have got "Buchanan" wrong,and "McLeod" (with the later emblem) right.

DR

On this basis,,Hornby have got "Buchanan" wrong,and "McLeod" (with the later emblem) right.

DR

Curses! Needless to say I have 'Buchanan' having demurred on the price of TWO locos.

Moriaty! Bring the pot of steaming black pudding-like paint!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As said above I removed the intermediate buffers on my 'Brit' made it look much better when running close coupled. Intend to do the same on the 'Clan' I collected yesterday. Not had a proper look at it yet, but renumbering will be interesting with that moulding on the cabside. Not sure what it is? will have to dig the books out tonight to find out.

Once renamed and numbered off to Dr Dirt (aka Roomey) for a liberal coat of Grot!!!!

Will post pictures of this when complete.

Finished!!!!

post-7289-126781535771_thumb.jpg

post-7289-126781539461_thumb.jpg

Thanks Roomey for another excellent weathering job!!!!icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif Also removed the small intermediate buffers to allow close coupling.